PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Buy Ram Clutches

Datsbad
06-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Well after 600 miles the clutch started showing signs of slipping. at 1400 miles its toast.

Ram said send it back . when they looked at it they were clueless on what was wrong. They decide to send my old pressure plate back and a new disc. They also said to try to remove the shim , well that didnt work , so i pulled it again and put the shim back in . still does not work .

Pull the trans again and notice the clutch disc is bent . I call them back . They act as if this is my first clutch install and tell me i bent it when i assembled it and that it was not lined up right . My response was , I used the clutch alignment tool you provided so how is that possible?

Needless to say , Ram is not willing to help at all .
I know alot of us on here dont like Ram, but for those people who are considering them, STAY AWAY .

It a shame a simple thing of sending me another disc and i was willing to sendback the bent disc , they wont do .

I have delt with many companies during the build of my car . In a month or 2 it will be in a featured add in HOT ROD. None of the companies i used gave me bad service like them (well maybe another sponsor on here also )I will be sure to let everyone know my trouble with them

HotRod68Camaro
06-17-2006, 12:43 PM
I have had problems with their products also. I originally had a 910 VDS system and it started to slip very quickly, so i went to the 980 and that also started to slip. I never delt with customer service b/c i installed it myself so theres no chance in hell they will help me. But needless to say i will not be buying any more of their products.

rocketman
06-17-2006, 02:24 PM
I have never used one of there street clutches,But used the 3 disk race in my pro mod with no problem.

Datsbad
06-17-2006, 02:32 PM
I have never used one of there street clutches,But used the 3 disk race in my pro mod with no problem.

I did not post this for a poll on who's clutch works and who's doesnt. I am simply trying to prevent someone from going through what i did .

if yours works , great

on the other hand , i have heard many times now that there street stuff they dont put much effort into it to make things right like this scenario. imagine that !

68protouring454
06-17-2006, 04:07 PM
poll or not you think a street clutch to work behind a 600 hp small block??
step up to a twin disk or a spec, i am sure you have been on ls1.com and others, ram is for 300 hp drivers

Datsbad
06-17-2006, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=68protouring454]poll or not you think a street clutch to work behind a 600 hp small block??
step up to a twin disk or a spec, i am sure you have been on ls1.com and others, ram is for 300 hp drivers[/QUOT

when the same clutch I am using is in 700+ street cars I thought i would be fine .

On LS1TECH there are many complaints for Ram and more so on SPEC .

68protouring454
06-17-2006, 09:30 PM
what part number was it,
jake

Datsbad
06-17-2006, 09:34 PM
I will check , dont remeber right now but I think it was a 910 disc

ohcbird
06-18-2006, 11:31 PM
OMG- The line of complaints about clutches on LS1tech.com could go around the planet! It always goes like this: Mcleod/Spec/RAM/Textralia is great! evrybody buys, two guys have probs, then alot of them jump on the bash-wagon...

Sorry man- didn't mean to steal your thread. I feel your pain. Sme companies just don't get it, do they?

Payton King
06-19-2006, 09:07 AM
get a textralia. Customer sevice is first rate. I cannot comment on the clutch other than I have one and can;t wait to try it out.

TonyG
07-28-2006, 10:12 PM
I have the Ram 900 in my 96 Cobra.. It has 73K miles on it now and is still excellent. Like someone mentioned it is a great clutch for a street car. Most people I know making serious power are using either Spec stage 3 or the McCleod twin disk (i think that is the right one). Hate to hear you have had such luck with them.