PDA

View Full Version : Sound

customcam
06-15-2006, 06:00 PM
guys when building an engine can u pre-determine how the car is going to sound?

hiwayman
06-16-2006, 02:45 AM
hey bro how goes it im not sure if you can predict it but you should here my xr8 its got the usual goodies but runs a single delta flowmaster sounds like a touring car,i could be corrected has to do with the firing order the big block in the camaro sounds hmm flat

rocketman
06-16-2006, 11:55 AM
The cam makes the sound,so more cam you put in it the more radical it will sound.The smaller the cam the tamer it sounds.If you want that real thumper ground pounder sound you want lots of duration and a tight centerline,i.e 290 dur with a 108 centerline.But you can play with a cam and do the same cam on a 114 centerline and tame it down some.

Also headers play in to the sound with longtubes vs shortys,and equal length primaries.

Then collectors,and h-pipes,then mufflers.

So there is alot to making sound.

customcam
06-16-2006, 05:25 PM
thanks D and Rocket man
Reason iv asked is iv heard some awsome sounding cars over the years and iv heard some not so good sounding.In Ausland you cant run anything louder than 96 Decibels :mad: without getting a defect sticker :rolleyes:
What about compression ratio??

tyoneal
06-16-2006, 09:47 PM
customcam

This is going to be tough because anything under 94 decibels sounds defective.

Everything helps. A good cam, Exhaust, Compression, Fuel etc.

Try an electric exhaust dump. When you get inspected you can be whisper quiet. When you get, "Outback", you can open your dump and blow the side off Ayers Rock!! :unibrow:

Don't forget a good Cam! :D (for your car, the other would also be fun)

I'll be watching the TV for news of your Car. :bow:

Have Fun.

tyoneal