PDA

View Full Version : Sound deadening help

TopEndeR
06-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Ill going to be buying some fat mat or dyna mat but i dont know what i should get. Fat mat doesnt sell anything thicker then 45mil and dyna mat has 1/4 mat but is more money. Will the 45mil fat mat keep all that sound and heat out ? I want to do this right the first time . Whatcha guys think?

Slick
06-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Keeping sound and heat out are two different animals. A foil backed deadener will help with the heat and some sound. I haven't used "fat mat" but it sounds like it's a foil backed deadener right? Something like dynamat extreme, hush mat, brown bread, etc will work for keeping vibrations down, heat out and some road noise. I've switched over to RAAM mat, it's an internet based company so you won't see it in summit etc, but it's good stuff, sticks like crazy and goes on easy....and the price is right, much cheaper than dynamat extreme. I just did a whole interior of a 37' Ford and can't imagine how long it would have taken with some of the deadener we used to use, the newer butyl based deadener (RAAM, Dyna extreme etc) really go on easy. For road noise/sound absorbtion I'd suggest a layer of foam or one of the foam based products dynamat or Cascade offer on top of your foil deadener, the floor, roof and firewall are the big areas to concentrate this stuff. Even an extra layer of carpet padding on the floor can help alot with road noise. It gets expensive but if your serious about getting it quiet cascade and I think dynamat have foam products with a layer of lead, the foam absorbs the noise, the lead actually will keep it out and reflect it (which everyone think the foil products are doing, they don't, they add mass to stop vibrations). Sorry for the ramble...but I deal with this often :) Hope it helps.

novanutcase
06-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Topender,

I used to have a link to a great article on this. A guy did a test(Informal, he's not a scientist!) and came up with some pretty good recommendations. try searching a little on the web for it. It's pretty informative. If you do find it I would appreciate it if you posted it up on this site so that others could also read it. :)

USAZR1
06-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Is this the article you were referring to? http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

TopEndeR
06-15-2006, 01:19 PM
thanks

novanutcase
06-16-2006, 10:37 AM
THATS THE ONE! Thanks USA :thumbsup: