PDA

View Full Version : chevy alum valve covers

morris69
06-12-2006, 11:09 PM
i was wondering if those valve covers need baffles because im about to put a pcv valve in one will i need to fab one the valve cover im talking about is the alum one with the raised chevy logo

race-rodz
06-13-2006, 01:24 AM
yes...they need a baffle and a breather with a baffle. i dont have a pic, but i put the pcv on the r. rear, on the top "flat", breather on the l. rear, and i welded in a cool bung/knurled fill cap on the r. front.

unfortunatley i didnt think about baffles...so my placement was off.... i ended up ebaying that set :_paranoid

MarkM66
06-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Have you thought of just using grommets with the baffles in them?

Blown353
06-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Have you thought of just using grommets with the baffles in them?

Just a warning, I've tried both varieties of baffled grommets on the market (slit on the bottom and the 3-step design) and neither work worth a darn when it comes to oil control. Installed on a breather they mist like crazy and installed on a PCV they allow a LOT of oil to be sucked into the intake.

USAZR1
06-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Isn't it kinda strange that GMPP would sell a valve cover with a flaw like that?

Blown353
06-16-2006, 12:48 AM
Isn't it kinda strange that GMPP would sell a valve cover with a flaw like that?

Nah, not a flaw-- more like an opportunity. Leaving them blank gives you the ability to put your breather provisions where ever you want, or you can leave them totally blank and run a vacuum pump, etc. Most guys who buy these valvecovers know what they are getting into.

As far as adding baffles/plugs/etc. you can either bolt them on or weld them-- you just need to find someone that's capable of welding thin-wall diecast aluminum.

I welded Moroso baffled breather stands to mine. They are 100% successful at keeping oil from puking out and running down the valvecovers but I still get some very fine oil misting out the breathers and onto the firewall when beating on the thing. It'll get -12 or larger lines routed to proper catch cans sooner or later to control the misting issue, just need to find a place for the catch cans.

USAZR1
06-16-2006, 12:58 PM
GMPP offers those covers in a tall and short version. The latter units supposedly are baffled. Any opinions on those?

Blown353
06-16-2006, 03:08 PM
GMPP offers those covers in a tall and short version. The latter units supposedly are baffled. Any opinions on those?

The short versions do have baffle provisions. I've never seen one upside down so I don't know if the baffling is adequate.

I can vouch for my tall ones though, very nice pieces. Well made, pretty light, and don't leak a drop with reuseable fel-pro gaskets. Still thinking about buying a carbon fiber set of valve covers from Carbon Components though. I used to have one of their air cleaners and it was a really nice piece.

USAZR1
06-20-2006, 04:15 AM
The short versions do have baffle provisions. I've never seen one upside down so I don't know if the baffling is adequate.

I can vouch for my tall ones though, very nice pieces. Well made, pretty light, and don't leak a drop with reuseable fel-pro gaskets. Still thinking about buying a carbon fiber set of valve covers from Carbon Components though. I used to have one of their air cleaners and it was a really nice piece.

If you're interested in selling your GMPP covers to get some CC units,drop me a line. I want a pair of them.