PDA

View Full Version : Tool and equipment question for my new shop

weston
08-25-2014, 08:13 PM
I am just getting started in the world of pro touring car building and I have many many many questions, but this thread is about shop equipment. I'm just at the age to get out on my own. I work out of town about 80% of the time and when I am in all I want to do is work on my 69 Camaro. I built a shop with apartment on one end and I need some tools and equipment. I'm on a budget after building my shop/house so I'm wanting to ask about some cheap starter tools. I'm thinking about the Eastwood mig, tig, and plasma cutter. Has anyone used the Eastwood products? They are much cheaper than Lincoln or Miller but like I said I'm just starting. Also, what is a good manual or hydraulic pipe bender that's not too expensive? I want to build my own cage. Thanks for any help

Che70velle
08-25-2014, 09:11 PM
You wanting to buy tools for a business, or are these just for your shop, to mess around with your personal projects? I hear good things about Eastwood products, but I've never owned any personally.

weston
08-25-2014, 10:12 PM
It would just be for personal use. Just as a hobby and fab work on my car

GregWeld
08-26-2014, 06:22 AM
Personally -- I think a guy is always better off saving up the extra money and buying GOOD tools rather than cheap tools. Tools are an investment - and most good ones will last a lifetime.... so rather than buying cheap - then selling them down the road at a loss and upgrading... why not just start out buying stuff you don't need to upgrade. Save up - and shop - and I'd buy a great USED tool before I'd buy new cheap stuff. There's usually a reason cheap stuff is cheap.

On welders -- you have to pay attention to the "duty cycle".... many times the cheap ones have a real short duty cycle. Or they just really don't weld real well - the arc isn't stable etc. That's frustrating. The other thing is the gauge they are TRULY capable of welding. While it's easy to think you're never going to weld more than 1/4" material.... the minute you own a welder - there's all manor of people that need you to fix something for them -- or even fix stuff for yourself. If it's MAX is 1/4" --- while it might weld it... that duty cycle will be even shorter...

At 130 amps -- this welder has a 30% duty cycle.... so that's weld for one minute and wait 2 minutes before welding any more.... pretty crappy duty cycle!

http://www.eastwood.com/mig175-welder-and-cart-kit.html

This is also true of the cheap Millers etc.... very poor duty cycles.... Which is why I'd prefer to buy a larger used Miller or Lincoln or Esab (not my favorite)... that have 60% DC at far higher amps...

weston
08-26-2014, 08:18 AM
I am a big believer in you get what you pay for. I was just thinking I could get mig tig and plasma cutter for the price of just a Miller tig, but if they won't hold up then it would be pointless to get them. I didn't even look at the duty cycle and I'm an electronics tech. thanks for the advice

renegade6
08-26-2014, 06:52 PM
I have a Clarke welder (off brand) and it has worked well for minor body repair. That being said, If you are in no hurry, I would wait and see what you can find used on Craigslist.

Scubachef
08-27-2014, 02:07 AM
I have the Eastwood Tig and am happy with the welder and Eastwood service. Duty cycle isn't great, but for personal use I'm super happy. I've welded razor blades and 1/4 inch, aluminium and steel, it has been great. The machine performs well even when I haven't! I had an issue with the foot pedal and they sent one out free including shipping. Tech was great and shipping was fast. It doesn't have some features and adjustments found on better machines but I also only paid $700 so I can't be mad! Overall, if it is just for you on your project I think it is a great option.

INXS2
08-28-2014, 07:42 PM
I also have a Eastwood AC/DC 200 TIG, and the 175 MIG with the spool gun. I am very happy with the performance. If I was welding all day long, then I'd buy a large red, white or blue welder. For a part time welder they work great. The 175 seems to weld hotter then it needs to (start with the recommendations and have to turn it down). I had no problem burning 5/16 steel when i was building tall jack stands to hold up the body of POS I'm working on and the rotisserie I built. Just my opinion from experience.

Tuske427
09-24-2014, 12:27 AM
On one hand I agree with Gregweld that buying for long term investment will be better overall, and getting quality used equipment over cheap new stuff, too, will be better in the long run. On the other this can still be an expensive route and when starting out this just may not be an option.

I have bought my share of cheap tools over the years, and some I still have to this day. They work great and I didn't spend that much. Others I have thrown out after the first attempted use (waste of $$, see above) In the case of Eastwood, I would recommend them for starter equipment. My first welder was the Eastwood 135. It came with the cart, mask, and wire for less than $500 with a 3 year replacement warranty. I've used it a fair amount on my Firebird build, and eventually one of the components failed on it. I called Eastwood and while they offered to replace the entire welder, I opted for just the replacement part. After installing said replacement part the welder still didn't work right so then they replaced the entire unit free of charge, including shipping. On top of that they sent me the new welder first, and only after I received it I returned the old one. Their service is really hard to beat.

On top of that they really make a point to call out the fact that they use better quality internal components versus many other overseas made equipment. They also have videos on youtube to showcase their product.

I have since bought a Miller 211 and I use this most of the time, but I kept the Eastwood and still use it for thinner gauge welding as the 211 doesn't seem to weld as smoothly on the thinner metal. Also, I can keep different thickness wire in each piece to save time and changing the wire all the time.

I hope this is helpful.

snappytravis
09-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Yes, If you buy tools that are cheap and don't work properly, You won't use them anyway so it's pointless to even have them, Not saying everyone needs a high dollar welder to do the job, I would however recommend buying a name brand one. Lincoln or Miller, Look around ebay or farm auctions, It doesn't have to be all new stuff, I sold Snap On tools for years and you have to think about resale someday, Where is the value in tools that don't have any resale value? good luck

Tuske427
09-24-2014, 11:10 PM
Yes, If you buy tools that are cheap and don't work properly, You won't use them anyway so it's pointless to even have them, Not saying everyone needs a high dollar welder to do the job, I would however recommend buying a name brand one. Lincoln or Miller, Look around ebay or farm auctions, It doesn't have to be all new stuff, I sold Snap On tools for years and you have to think about resale someday, Where is the value in tools that don't have any resale value? good luck

Resale value? Who in their right mind would sell their tools? :)

hotwired
10-03-2014, 11:39 PM
I just bought the Eastwood A/C D/C Tig 200 and plasma combo and both work great! I am very happy with the purchase for the price it is hard to beat. My decision was made when I needed to weld mounting brackets on my powerstroke intercooler and my current mig did me no good. 3 year warranty was worth the gamble to me and so far so good.

GregWeld
10-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Resale value? Who in their right mind would sell their tools? :)

Greatest question EVER! LOL

Che70velle
10-05-2014, 01:15 PM
No doubt!
I'd sell my guns, before I'd sell my tools, and I don't see that ever happening.