PDA

View Full Version : LS6 to LS7, LSA, or LS9

Genros
07-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Hello all
My 69 camaro is currently running a ls6. I'm wanting more power and understand the ls6 is somewhat limited. What would be the most direct swap? The ls7, las or ls9. I'm not interested in doing a swap twice nor do I want to spend money unwisely. I'm aiming for 650ish at the wheels. If i come close I'm happy. If I swap in the ls7 a sc would be in the future. Help

Add, I'm running heights subframe and coin overs and rear four link

kainedogg
07-26-2014, 12:53 PM
Hello all
My 69 camaro is currently running a ls6. I'm wanting more power and understand the ls6 is somewhat limited. What would be the most direct swap? The ls7, las or ls9. I'm not interested in doing a swap twice nor do I want to spend money unwisely. I'm aiming for 650ish at the wheels. If i come close I'm happy. If I swap in the ls7 a sc would be in the future. Help

Add, I'm running heights subframe and coin overs and rear four link

If you truly have an LS6 motor then you have a great set of heads, the 243's. All you need from this point is a good supercharger. A & A makes a wonderful product (check out their reviews on the Corvetteforum) and it is not hard to get close to 600 to the wheels on stock components. Otherwise you can buy an LSA at double what a supercharger may cost. If cost is a non issue then an LS7 would be most desirable. All the motors you mentioned should bolt in.

gnx7
09-19-2014, 05:17 PM
A stock LS6 has gen1 rods and they are limited to about 600rwhp for reliability sake if you want to really pound on it.

The stock LS7 block has thin sleeves and not the best for supercharging.The factory dry sump also sucks ass and not worth the extra expense.

Your best bet would be to sell your running LS6 and either do an LS3 motor with supercharger cam/dual springs/larger injectors/tune and a supercharger.... or just buy the crate LSA motor and do a ported blower, pulley, cam/tune.

Have you thought about turbocharging? That's what I did for 1/2 the price of an LSA motor and plan to make a hell of a lot more power. You can do boost by gear/time/speed and really control how the power comes on.

what fuel management/computer are you running? is e85 readily available in your area?

Ron in SoCal
09-19-2014, 05:59 PM
GNX7 why don't you tell him about your killer 441 I saw on LS1T?

:cheers:

dhutton
09-19-2014, 07:48 PM
He put an LSA in it. Posted over on the other forum.

Don

Sparks67
09-19-2014, 09:34 PM
He put an LSA in it. Posted over on the other forum.

Don

I posted this reply, because he wants more power from his CTS-V.

Probably should have called Thomson Automotive, and Brian would recommend the best upgrades for your CTS-v. Power is being made in change with ported heads and new cam. My LS3 418 with LS9 was re-built by Thomson Automotive, and I upgraded my L92 ported heads to Brian's new LS9 CNC ported heads. Same as Mark Stielow engine, and new cam. 85cc for the fuel injectors. I am at 841 hp and 816 ft/lbs of torque at only 11 psi. Dave never tested my engine at 15 psi. Brian is making more power without headers, but he uses the stock corvette manifolds. I plan to use Ultimate headers on my 67 Camaro.

My old test results were 684 hp and 787 ft/lbs of torque at 15 psi, but ported L92 heads and different cam.

Jeff