PDA

View Full Version : How could i make my engine better?

KillaCamaro67
05-30-2006, 10:01 AM
well ive been concidering doing some tidying up of my engine and its problems here and there... but i was wondering.. how could i bring my engine up to its best?

heres my lump so far..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a 406 cubic inch SB chevrolet. This engine is 6.6
The engine block was fully reconditioned (bored .030" over in
the process),
increasing displacement to 406 cubic inches.
Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads (64cc straight plug
chambers)
Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum intake manifold
Lunati cast crank and pistons assembled for 10:00-1 compression
Lunati "number 10" 292/
292, Lift
.480/ .480
Holley 750 vacuum advance carburetor
GM HEI distributor
The transmission is a TH350 3 speed automatic.
http://www.hostdub.com/albums/DarkDemon/Enginebay.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i know a couple of parts on here are older production like the cam, but what could i do to improve what i already have?

or atleast dress it up while i got it out? ...and i know it need a good cleaning too :wow:

thanks yall!!

CAMAROBOY69
05-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Do you mean the engine itself or your engine compartment? Performance or looks?

Steve68
05-30-2006, 12:13 PM
How does the car run with the cam, I have a bunch of extra parts to make a 383 with close to the same cam, how the power, torque, sound, thanks

KillaCamaro67
05-30-2006, 12:34 PM
id like to make it something very street reliable..

im having alot of vibration with the whole thing, and im not sure if its the cams fault.. my bodyguy said that they might have not balanced the internals properly.. but i asked the guys at protouring and they said it probably isnt that bad..

but i want to make it optimal..

more performance than looks, but if there is a suggestion please let me know!!

But it sounds like a beast and pulls like a bat outta hell!!.. compared to my R32 which is 240hp AWD.. it destroys it in a strait!
:hail:

markss28
06-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Best thing that I have seen in cleaning up an engine bay is with the wiring. Take some of the stuff you dont need out and plug it or rap it with some braided lines. Take a scuff pad and polish everything that can be. Take some degreaser and start spraying. Maybe even buy some billet pulleys. I just bought some from Billet specialties and they were alot cheaper then March's.

Speedster
06-08-2006, 10:52 AM
If you are taking it out anyway, I would update the cam. Talk with a Comp Cams, Crane, Lunati cam tech. A 406 can tame a hefty cam and that will bring out the power. If not that, consider changing your rocker arms to a 1.6 ratio for the extra lift and a few more degrees of duration. (Assuming your springs can handle it) But before that, make sure that the engine is balanced properly or there is not damage to the harmonic balancer. What flywheel/flexplate do you have. Internally or externally balanced ?

What coil are you running ? Plenty of spark energy ?

Rearend ratio ? Transmission/gear ratios ?

Any excess weight in the car you can get rid of ?

Just a few things to think about.

Turbo Deuce
06-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Simple green is your best friend!
I assume you are pulling the engine. If so, clean the engine bay good and rattle can some gm satin black on it. Then if you change cams have the intake cleaned and clear powder coat it. Sand or media blast your headers and paint them with header paint.

Then when you install the engine take a day and plan your wiring to hide it or run it to where there are few wires showing. Buy the plug wire pieces to make them neat and route then under the headers if you can.

Run those trans lines under the engine to the radiator. Run the alternator wires between the intake and valve cover.

Vibration usually comes from the driveshaft. Make sure it is balanced and the yoke is far enough in the trans.

I am assuming that since it is a 400 the engine was internally balanced