PDA

View Full Version : Where is everyone mounting multiple coolers?

ssinister
07-19-2014, 09:33 AM
i am starting to get everything together for a 62 bonnevile project. Twin turbo LS and 4l80e trans. How is everyone mounting/stacking intercooler, ac consenser, oil cooler, trans cooler, and a radiator? Thats a lot of coolers that need airflow and I dont think stacking them all up front would allow the last in line to get good air. Any recommendations?

Che70velle
07-19-2014, 01:30 PM
I can't offer any help personally, but give Stielow's latest build, Camaro XV, a looksey.
He's got a lot of coolers stacked inline, and offers pictures of how he did it.
Sounds like you've got a cool project going there.

214Chevy
07-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Sounds like you've got a cool project going there.

Yeah, I love the curved tail lights on the 62 Bonneville. They are so sweet.

ssinister
07-20-2014, 09:20 AM
I do like the lines on the car. We are using good components on the car, so hopefully it comes together. Roadster shop front clip, morrison mandrel bent rear rails and custom triangulated 4 link. Livernois built 419 LS3 with L92 heads, nelson racing mirror image turbos, holley dominator EFI. Owner is a Benz guy, so hopefully we can get him to enjoy driving this car.

DavidBoren
04-14-2015, 02:32 PM
Stack the intercooler in front of the radiator and leave the a/c condenser in the normal place. Lay the transmission/oil/power steering cooler(s) down behind the radiator. Put a small air dam behind the horizontal coolers to influence the air under the car to go up through them. Then put some tasteful heat extraction vents in that big Bonneville hood.

Flash68
04-14-2015, 03:02 PM
A great place to start is by integrating some of that cooling into the radiator as heat exchangers. Cools great and helps with the packaging. If I recall, Stielow added a 3rd cooler into his latest radiator C&R in addition to the PS and Oil cooler. Maybe trans was the 3rd.

DavidBoren
04-14-2015, 09:19 PM
The custom radiator with separate coolers built in is a great option, as well. I am not a fan of liquid-to-liquid coolers that put all that additional heat load on the engine water cooling system. So I would make sure that there is adequate separation between the different coolers if they are all integrated into one unit.