PDA

View Full Version : rookie LT1 question, I want to mate a auto LT1 to my 4spd, and upgrade to 5spd later

coyote11
05-24-2006, 12:37 PM
I have a '67 Firebird with a 326 and a 4 speed, the block pattern is definitely different. I have an opportunity to buy a LT1 from a 94-95 Chevy Caprice police car. I know I would need different motor mounts and such, but can I just get a SBC bell housing and mate it up? Then, will the auto ECM with the motor be capable off running properly with a stick behind it? I will eventually go with a 5 speed stick, but funds are tight. I would stick with the Poncho motor, but the LT1 is super cheap and fuel injected, lighter too.

Any suggestions would be great.

Lawrence
05-27-2006, 04:17 AM
I've run my LT1/4L60E with the gearbox wiring disconnected when I moved it on and off a trailer, it runs fine. I would think to do it properly you would just need to flash the PCM with software from a manual, and chop out the un-needed wiring. The only issue I can think of is the VSS signal which is used for controlling some parameters on the engine (eg fans), but plenty of people run without it. Dont know how hard/easy it would be to swap one suitable for an LT1 in if you wanted it perfect.

GeoffP
07-13-2006, 07:53 PM
It can be done with few problems if you do your homework. You'll need to get someone to setup a custom bin for the PCM to turn off the VSS check (along with the VATS and EGR) to prevent a check engine light and to keep the engine from running open loop all the time. Running closed loop is more desireable since it will help improve your gas mileage and part throttle drivability. I've done several LT1 swaps, so if you've got questions, feel free to PM me. I'm glad to help where ever I can. A couple of suggestions: Be prepared for hidden expenses like a broken accessory bracket or an A/C delete pulley (the compressor will hit the frame on your 'bird if you don't relocate or remove it).

GeoffP
68 Camaro LT1/T56 swap in progress
87 Camaro Z28 LT1/4L60E