PDA

View Full Version : Will you gain value in your restomod by going to a ls2 or ls3 from an ls1?

69greyghost
05-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Guys, I have a question. I currently have an ls1 with a 6 speed in my 69 camaro and I am curious would going ls2 or ls3 increase the value on my car or just my performance. I dont intend on selling just doing my homework and wanted to see what the outcome would be of the upgrade. Thanks guys, let me know what you think.

Vegas69
05-14-2014, 09:48 AM
I'd think it will. Will it offset the cost of the upgrade? Probably not...

69greyghost
05-14-2014, 10:28 AM
I'd think it will. Will it offset the cost of the upgrade? Probably not...

Todd, is it worth it? The power versus what it will cost, ls3's are still rather costly from what I have seen. I think I should be close to 400 hp now with a cam, long tubes and some of the other stuff I have on my motor. For the the other motor will cost and cost to upgrade I wonder is it worth it.

Flash68
05-14-2014, 11:38 AM
I think it will. An LS1 is pretty dated at this point in the LS world.

Upon resale time it could likely mean the difference between someone who makes an offer on your car or moves on to the next one with a newer LS. This also all depends on the rest of your car (quality, mods, etc).

Mkelcy
05-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Even sight unseen, I would think there are other things you could do to the car today that would increase resale value more than an LS1 to LS3 swap.

New generations of engines are coming out pretty frequently these days. You might just find yourself chasing an ever moving target.

CamaroMike
05-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Even sight unseen, I would think there are other things you could do to the car today that would increase resale value more than an LS1 to LS3 swap.

New generations of engines are coming out pretty frequently these days. You might just find yourself chasing an ever moving target.

^This

Every person is different and is willing to pay different amounts. I wanted a 5.3 over a 6.0 because its just a driver and fuel is expensive. It def wont hurt the value of your car!

If you do go that route let me know. I might take the ls1 off your hands.

69greyghost
05-14-2014, 07:47 PM

I guess thats kinda my point, I was thinking that I could better uses the money elsewhere in my car. Not to mention my car is not a show car so I dont think its going to sell for top dollar if I were to sell it. Hell I saw a 69 on car chasers with an ls7 and a solid build go for far less than I would have taken. I think it depends on the buyer or the seller.

^This

Every person is different and is willing to pay different amounts. I wanted a 5.3 over a 6.0 because its just a driver and fuel is expensive. It def wont hurt the value of your car!

If you do go that route let me know. I might take the ls1 off your hands.

I will keep you posted, its a really good motor. 2000 ls1 with a cam, it had 85k on it and was taken apart to get what I now have. ( Taken down to the shortblock and checked ). I think if I get the right deal I will upgrade but if not I will stick with what I have.

n77nxc
05-14-2014, 09:41 PM
IMO, the LS craze will fade eventually with the introduction of the next generation of GM engines.

With that said, I did purchase a LQ9 for my 67 build. My main reason was I'm familiar with the engine and feel comfortable working on it. Also, it was easy on the budget.

If I were shooting for a value add motor and had the cash, I'd have to go 572 BB with a carb. I personally think that will always be cool.

:thumbsup:

Mkelcy
05-14-2014, 10:01 PM
IMO, the LS craze will fade eventually with the introduction of the next generation of GM engines.

With that said, I did purchase a LQ9 for my 67 build. My main reason was I'm familiar with the engine and feel comfortable working on it. Also, it was easy on the budget.

If I were shooting for a value add motor and had the cash, I'd have to go 572 BB with a carb. I personally think that will always be cool.

:thumbsup:

The coolness of a 572 BBC is going to depend heavily on the price of gas, unless it's a total trailer queen.

LS1-IROC
05-15-2014, 04:54 AM
I think it would increase the overall value of the car, but not enough to cover the cost of the swap. While the LS1 motor is a little dated now, it's still a very capable motor as well as rock solid dependable. I think the LSx craze is till going strong and will continue to be a healthy market for years to come.

69greyghost
05-16-2014, 02:48 AM
I think it would increase the overall value of the car, but not enough to cover the cost of the swap. While the LS1 motor is a little dated now, it's still a very capable motor as well as rock solid dependable. I think the LSx craze is till going strong and will continue to be a healthy market for years to come.

I would happen to agree, it will take some time for the aftermarket to build on the new gm platform and there is no guarantee that the performance to cost ratio will be as economical as an ls motor. I could be mistaken but I think cheap, powerful, fuel efficient motors could be something popular for a significant duration of time. Just my 2cents. I think I will stick with my ls1 until I get a reason to do otherwise.

hifi875
05-16-2014, 06:46 AM
Unless you want more power there is no reason to. It's still a ls. The design is the same. It's a ls. If you're happy w your ls1 then keep it in there and work on your brakes or suspension. So many poeple just throw a ls engine in and think they are done all the while they have stock brakes. Stock suspension stock interior. The engine is only part of a pro touring car and prolly not the most important part

n77nxc
05-16-2014, 08:43 AM
The coolness of a 572 BBC is going to depend heavily on the price of gas, unless it's a total trailer queen.

It definitely would not be my commuter car for sure, and I think most wouldn't use it as such.

JKnight
05-16-2014, 01:48 PM
If I were in the market to buy a car, I wouldn't place a great deal of emphasis on what version of LS it is. If I know that the sub-systems are already in place for the LS platform, I know that I can always upgrade fairly easily at a later date. I would view the LS1 as being an indicator that the hard work is already done.

67Rally
05-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Well, considering that most people that are swapping LS2/LS3's in to their cars are doing DOD/VVT deletes, you'd really just be picking up a few extra cubes (346->364->376).

For the money, I'd think you'd be better off rebuilding what you've got and boring/stroking it. If you've got the old 241's still on there, then maybe swap those out for some ls3 heads and a bigger cam with a decent intake.

Solid LT1
05-16-2014, 11:05 PM
The LS1 is a 24X EFI system......LS2/3 are 58X there's a lot more to the swap than just changing motors. You have a all aluminum V8 that can be modded and tuned to over 500HP easy.......I would be happier to know the car I was buying had a quality motor ( better rods/forged pistons/CNC ported heads ) than a plain crate motor.

charchri4
05-17-2014, 11:39 AM
Might be a few bucks in value in it but no way near what you will spend. I think it's kind of funny that guys feel the LS1 is dated when it's sitting in a 45 year old chassis. That and the 2 and 3 are the same "dated" family of engines.

Vegas69
05-17-2014, 11:58 AM
It comes down to the scope of the car. I wouldn't drop an LS1 in a high end pro touring car. The carpet has to match the drapes as the old saying goes. In an average Camaro, I'd take it over a 1st gen small block any day.

jwcarguy
05-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Well, considering that most people that are swapping LS2/LS3's in to their cars are doing DOD/VVT deletes, you'd really just be picking up a few extra cubes (346->364->376).

For the money, I'd think you'd be better off rebuilding what you've got and boring/stroking it. If you've got the old 241's still on there, then maybe swap those out for some ls3 heads and a bigger cam with a decent intake.

The LS3 heads are for a 4" bore or larger, not a option for a LS1
There are a aftermarket version "LS3 small bore" head, but smaller intake valves and big bucks!!!

jwcarguy
05-18-2014, 10:46 AM
Might be a few bucks in value in it but no way near what you will spend. I think it's kind of funny that guys feel the LS1 is dated when it's sitting in a 45 year old chassis. That and the 2 and 3 are the same "dated" family of engines.

IMO it would add more than "a few bucks in value", just for the simple fact that the larger engines (in stock trim) go for more than double the cost of a "LS1"

Also, the LS2 & LS3 are not the "same dated family of engines" (Gen 3 compared to Gen 4)

Both the LS2 & LS3 have:

-better pcm operating systems (58x )
- stronger bottom end rotating assemblies (coated skirt pistons w/ floating pins, larger connecting rods, stronger cranks)
- stronger block design and crankcase ventilation
- better flowing cfm(as cast) cylinder heads, w/ larger Intake valves
- VVT / DOD ( can be a benefit in certain applications)
- larger throttle bodies and better flowing intake manifolds
- larger fuel injectors
- improved lifter and tray designs
- stronger timing chains
- improved ignition coils

and the simple fact that they are larger cubic inches and make more power

hope that helps clear things up

Jeff

67Rally
05-18-2014, 01:33 PM
The LS3 heads are for a 4" bore or larger, not a option for a LS1
There are a aftermarket version "LS3 small bore" head, but smaller intake valves and big bucks!!!

I did mention boring/stroking the engine first. Obviously you'd have to resleeve it to get over a 4.0" bore.