PDA

View Full Version : Give me your advice!!!

paulk68
03-31-2014, 10:11 AM
OK I feel like I have two choices right now and I need your help choosing

Option #1 i really want to put a LSA crate engine in my 68 camaro. but like eveyone i am on a budget and if i choose this path it is just going to take me alot longer to get the car on the road. but it will be done once and i can just move on and enjoy it.

Option # 2 buy a crate 430hp LS3 and get it in the car so i can start enjoying it alot sooner. Then down the road add a superchager to the LS3. I already plan to make sure that things like the fuel system and everything else can accept future upgrades without to much work.

Option #3 YOU TELL ME lol

barrrf
03-31-2014, 10:27 AM
Im taking the approach of "drive it now and do whatever it takes while you save up for what you want".

So if you have a motor chillin - slap it in and beat the snot out of it while you get the monies for that LSA you want.

Hell - a $500 JY 5.3 with a monster cam and head work will net you nearly 500 flywheel ponies. And that's no slouch. And think of how much money you'll have saved over buying that LS3.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/completebuilds_testing/sucp_1112_5_3l_ls_small_block_build_part2/

rjsjea
03-31-2014, 10:42 AM
I agree with barrrf.....

Get it driving sooner than later. A low mileage takeout (jy) motor will get you on the road that much sooner.

jwcarguy
03-31-2014, 03:59 PM
OPTION #3
Build your own engine or source a low mileage pullout, add custom cam and matching valvetrain upgrades and add a Magnuson 2300 supercharger (2.3L compared to the smaller 1.9L LSA)

jwcarguy
03-31-2014, 04:39 PM
here is a example
GMPPP LSX376 w/ valvetrain upgrades already $5900
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350169

Rod P
03-31-2014, 05:01 PM
Option # 2 buy a crate 430hp LS3 and get it in the car so i can start enjoying it alot sooner. Then down the road add a superchager to the LS3. I already plan to make sure that things like the fuel system and everything else can accept future upgrades without to much work.

I say put it in and drive it...enjoy it

Sieg
03-31-2014, 08:33 PM
Im taking the approach of "drive it now and do whatever it takes while you save up for what you want".

So if you have a motor chillin - slap it in and beat the snot out of it while you get the monies for that LSA you want.

Hell - a $500 JY 5.3 with a monster cam and head work will net you nearly 500 flywheel ponies. And that's no slouch. And think of how much money you'll have saved over buying that LS3.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/completebuilds_testing/sucp_1112_5_3l_ls_small_block_build_part2/

The JY appears very capable. :thumbsup:

How much want vs. need?

These debates are just like going to a buffet. :D

My 355 SBC has more than enough "public road" power to get my car impounded, license suspended for a year, and create enough fine, fee, and legal liabilities to cover a good LSA take out.

Just playing Devil's advocate........as realistically what I "want" isn't really in my best interest. If there was a decent local track and autocross venue then I'd have needs. :D

fishface
03-31-2014, 08:58 PM
The JY appears very capable. :thumbsup:

How much want vs. need?

These debates are just like going to a buffet. :D

My 355 SBC has more than enough "public road" power to get my car impounded, license suspended for a year, and create enough fine, fee, and legal liabilities to cover a good LSA take out.

Just playing Devil's advocate........as realistically what I "want" isn't really in my best interest. If there was a decent local track and autocross venue then I'd have needs. :D

I totally agree which is why I will go a stock ls3 with headers and a tune.No muss no fuss and more than enough for a street car and way faster than the Queen Mary boat anchor I am running now.

charchri4
04-01-2014, 11:24 AM
My question is what's the goal? What are you going to do with the car? If the top priority is OMG when you open the hood well you need the LSA for that. Wait - can you legitimately use the word "need" and supercharged engine that cost more than my last car in the same sentence?

But you do realize what you said about option 1 is completely ludicrous right? You said “it will be done once and i can just move on and enjoy it.” LOL! Name one car on this forum that is actually done being modified!

So with that to me it's a no brainer to do the LS3. I'm very confident that first road test will be no less a thrill without the whine of the A motor. And I would bet most folks don't miss the difference in 0 to 60 in 4.2 vs 0 to 60 in 3.9 in the every day enjoyment of the car. Put something like and ASA cam in it to give it a good shake and get out and enjoy the ride.

It's no big deal to pull the LS3 in a few years and probably sell it for near what you paid for it if you do want to make a change. But IMO the best thing you could do is have more fun than you can stand wearing out the LS3 and who knows maybe your kids will put an LSA in it someday!

charchri4
04-01-2014, 11:25 AM

I love it! Printed and going on the garage wall!

jwcarguy
04-01-2014, 05:12 PM
If you go the route of a LS3 and want a good cam with good street manners/driveability there are much better choices than the Chevy " ASA" cam that is very mild ( 226/236 525/525 110 LSA)

paulk68
04-01-2014, 05:31 PM
If you go the route of a LS3 and want a good cam with good street manners/driveability there are much better choices than the Chevy " ASA" cam that is very mild ( 226/236 525/525 110 LSA)

thanks, can you suggest some of the better options for a good street driveable cam

charchri4
04-02-2014, 09:56 AM

Better options in cams is relative and it goes back to what are you are doing with the car. No question the low lift leaves some power on the table but if squeezing every last HP out of it is not the goal the ASA is worth looking at IMO. The ASA has an amazingly flat torque curve, great idle and can run AC at 1800 rpm on the hwy with out bucking your head off. Dyno chart here
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=533869&highlight=dyno+sheet

There is a great sound clip of a 4th gen Camaro with it on youtube here. http://youtu.be/uL1OhyPw9Sw

It is not a good choice if you are going for max power that is for sure. But for what it's worth I chose the Howards version of the ASA cam for my car because I'm going for even manners in the torque curve and reliability. With this cam I never have to worry about changing valve springs or the stress high lift cams put on the drive train. The cam I swapped out to put the ASA in was 227i/239e .600" 112 LSA. It was too peaky in the mid range for my taste and didn't like the AC under 55 in 6th.

I'm not saying the ASA is the best way or right for you but just the way I felt about it.

6carmello8
06-11-2014, 01:25 PM
Easily ls3 crate and enjoy it. I feel like a lot of us get so caught up in numbers and this and that and never get to enjoy their cars including me.

Once my swap Lq9/t56 swap is done, no engine mods for a while and I'm just enjoy the car for a while.

oldgoat
06-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Shop around carefully, I found my LQ4 with Magnacharger on www.car-part.com , $1100.00 delivered to my door. The deals are out there. In the meantime a 5.3 with small mods is, in my opinion, a better choice than a typical SBC. Better driveability, fuel economy and overall fun. Lord knows I have had my share of them to make the comparison.