PDA

View Full Version : American Auto Wiring and LS swap

fillpot
03-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Guy's doing a rewire on my 69 Camaro with a ls2 swap and using the American auto wiring classic update kit and was just wondering about running the purple wire and some others to the starter on the directions, are ya'll doing this on LS swaps or is this just for older engines, guess it basically works the same huh? not a complete dumbass lol but was just wondering, btw super nice wiring kit. THANKS!

Che70velle
03-13-2014, 10:12 PM
Yes, I am on my Chevelle. What harness are you running for engine controls?

Z06vette
03-13-2014, 10:13 PM
The purple is the nuetral safety. Unless you have one already, you need to run it. My engine harness is a modified 99-02 F body harness & it had the purple wire included in it. Not sure what engine harness you are running.
Scott

fillpot
03-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Thanks guy's it's the stock Ls2 harness that's been reworked by speartech, I've had the American auto wire kit for a while but just hadn't took the time to install it until for some crazy reason I fried a pcm the other day, the wiring harness that was in the car was garbage and had a bunch of lt1 wiring integrated into it (car came with a lt1), so I tried to take two 69 Camaro harnesses and make one, worked for a while but was always leary of it, thanks for the help sure Im going to have some other questions lol. THANKS!

fillpot
03-14-2014, 10:00 PM
What about the pink wire for the engine wiring on the American auto wire harness THANKS!

130fe
03-14-2014, 11:17 PM
That pink wire is for the pcm ign.

fillpot
03-15-2014, 02:39 AM
Chris, thanks man just came back in from working on the car and I guess I'm loosing it because I don't even no where pink came from lol, Im still just rewiring the car it self not even wiring up the motor, any way got it going my, got your pm also I'll be in touch. THANKS!

72Z/28
03-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Are you going to relocate the battery in the trunk with a remote starter solenoid?

fillpot
03-15-2014, 03:23 PM
I am going to put it in the trunk but not sure about the starter solenoid yet. THANKS!

130fe
03-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Are you going to relocate the battery in the trunk with a remote starter solenoid?

If you do it this way, would you wire the one in the trunk and then to the one on the motor?

fillpot
03-31-2014, 09:12 PM
Back on the wiring tonight guys and need a little info please, this is for the engine wiring, I've go a red wire 12v battery going to the starter solenoid, then I've go a brown fuse link wire that's going to the battery stud on the starter and plugging in to the red wire above, then I've got a purple wire that's going to the S terminal on the solenoid, dam I think I confussed my self may have to go back out and look at it, for the time being though does this sound remotely right, next question is the heavy red wire for the alternator, I had it ran to the straight to the battery before the rewire can I run it to the battery stud on the starter? I hope I don't sound like a complete idiot just trying to get it right this time. THANKS!

Z06vette
03-31-2014, 09:16 PM
You have the red & purple wires to the starter correct. I'll have to look under my hood to confirm the routing of the red to the battery. The AAW diagram should show the routing. If you still arent sure I'll check. I'm currently wiring my 67 bird with the update kit but I'm not quite that far where I've gotten to the red wire.
Scott

fillpot
03-31-2014, 10:29 PM
Yes there on the starter, I've got to look again but there's a jumper from the starter to the solenoid I think, hell I'm going to have to go look, but if it is w
ill it be necessary, I think I'm over thinking this and I guess I'm a little confused about the ls motor being in the car and standard v8. THANKS!

Che70velle
04-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Your going in the right direction. The brown fusible link will plug into the red wire that's coming from the bulkhead on the firewall. This goes to the battery side of the solenoid. The red wire from the alternator, goes to the same place on the solenoid. The purple has its own stud, between the two other studs. :thumbsup:

fillpot
04-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Gotcha, going back at it in just a minute, sure I'll have some more questions lol. THANKS!

fillpot
04-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Hey guy's pretty much got things going my way, had a quick question though, why in each individual bag are there gold and I guess gray or silver wire connectors, I'm sure my dumb ass is missing something some where. THANKS!

Z06vette
04-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Some are different sizes. There are larger ones for heavier gauge wires, and also for when t smaller gauge wires are crimped together in one connector.

fillpot
04-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Thanks bro I was hopping it was something like that, I feel better now thought I might have been missing something! THANKS!

fillpot
06-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Guy's just about done with the wiring, but did get the car back up and running among other things, (cam and verter swap), had a question though thinking maybe i'm having a voltage drop, it's time to have the car retuned but the problem is that it will run and idle fine sometimes then you'll crank it again and it want idle for nothing, put it in gear and it will die, just wondering if anyone has had a problem like this, and guess my question is should I be running a relay to the battery wire that feeds power to the pcm, the pink wire I believe? THANKS!

Vince@Meanstreets
06-05-2014, 08:10 PM
That sounds more like a tune or fuel system issue.

fillpot
06-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Kind of what I was thinking, going to the tuner in the next week or so, going to check out some things on it this weekend though fuel pump voltage etc, i'll post what I find. THANKS!