PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Camaro road racer

Vince@Meanstreets
03-10-2014, 01:44 AM
This is a customers ex-Silver State open road race car that we are doing some work on.

It came in for a quarter panel, fender replace and once over.

Here is how it came to us.

The fenders and quarter panels were "modified" to clear larger tires.

Follow along as we transform this one to a reliable HPDE and open track car.

A bit rough but a great base.

Vince@Meanstreets
03-10-2014, 01:50 AM
We ended up having to cut the fenders off. It was partially welded to the body.
Parts are on order now that we know what we need. A quick call to AMD and we should have the pieces in a few days.

Once stripped down we can give it a good look over and safety check.

Flash68
03-10-2014, 02:08 AM
Nice, Vince. Glad to see you post this one up.

NorCal72
03-10-2014, 04:26 AM
I've been following on Facebook, it's turning out very nice!

Vince@Meanstreets
03-13-2014, 03:01 AM
Thanks guys!

Once the body parts came in we got to work on figuring out the wheels we could use.

The customer happend to have several sets and brought them in for fitment. Unfortunatly most had offsets that would not work with the front sheet metal and front suspension.

Back to the drawing board.

Vince@Meanstreets
03-13-2014, 03:05 AM
The car is in pretty good shape.

The interior needed work. A bit of rust to fix and holes to fill would make it a safer car for track use.

The firewall was riddled with holes and patches made from 22 gauge aluminum and sealed with calking. We will replace most of the firewall with 18 gauge cold rolled steel. Also close up the gaps around the roll cage down bars. Another thing that i'd like to move is the Moroso accumulator from its present location between the seats. Put it in a safe place and shorten the hose by 9 feet.

Next step is to strip the car down to get a closer look.

intocarss
03-13-2014, 07:42 PM
That looks like it may be Boris's old car. My buddy had it at his shop years ago

Vince@Meanstreets
03-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Yep looks like it. Thanks buddy.

intocarss
03-14-2014, 12:33 AM
MeanStreetsPerformence will make her mean and clean!! :thumbsup:

Vince@Meanstreets
03-14-2014, 12:44 AM
It was a bit more "cut up" when it got to me. Looked like it was a nice car.

So we found a set of wheels that he could use but we chose to rehoop the rears from 10.5/19's to 12/19's and buy a new wheels for the front. Its nice to have several sets of Forgelines at your disposal.

After figuring out what backspaces we needed we began to tear into the car. Full interior gut, strip out the old wire harness and then start cutting up the body. We needed a bit more room in back so we are doing a quarter panel stretch.

The customer wanted a different door bar set up for the drivers side so we cut the old one out. While we had it out we decided it would be a great opportunity to redo the floor, wire brush, clean, prime and a coat of POR15 hardnose epoxy paint in light gray with liven things up a bit.

Vince@Meanstreets
03-14-2014, 01:07 AM
The tulip sections of the firewall were rusted up pretty bad so we decided to cut them out and I found a better place to mount the Moroso oil Accumulator.

NorCal72
03-14-2014, 01:39 AM
Nice, this thing is going to no frills, clean, mean track car! Im envious!

patoke
03-16-2014, 11:37 PM
You're doing great work Vince. I think we are in the home stretch now. Can't wait to get it onto the track.

Vince@Meanstreets
03-17-2014, 01:31 AM
uhh oh the boss is here....get back to work.

More metal work.

We are closing up the firewall and down bars holes changing a few things around.

One of these changes is the clutch and brake master locations. We were unable to access the brake fluid due to the down bars so we went with a Strange compact dual screw off car master.

Usually I would run a master plate but in this case we needed more room up front so I recessed the clutch master a bit. Should clean the area up too.
Pictures tell the tale.

Vince@Meanstreets
03-17-2014, 02:07 AM
....and the passenger side.

quick disconnect MSD 6al mount, starter harness pass through and panel reinforcments.

Closing up the down bar openings.

1transam
03-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Nice, shes coming right along! :gitrdun:

patoke
03-17-2014, 03:57 PM
That looks like it may be Boris's old car. My buddy had it at his shop years ago

This is definitely the same car. It was nice car in that other picture but here are some pictures when I got it. They had hacked up all of the wheel openings and had these ridiculously large front and rear wheels on the car along with those sweet purple stripes :sarcasm_smiley:

intocarss
03-17-2014, 10:49 PM
Vinny will make it even better ;) BTW one of those wheels that's on it in your pictures is still at the shop... I saw it today lolol

Vince@Meanstreets
03-18-2014, 02:06 AM
Vinny will make it even better ;) BTW one of those wheels that's on it in your pictures is still at the shop... I saw it today lolol

just the one? WTH ha

more firewall metal work.

We re ran all of the fire supression system lines and re directed the interior one so it wasn't directed at the driver...more on that one later.

I used a bulk head to pass through the firewall.

patoke
03-18-2014, 12:34 PM
We can take the four other wheels that came on the car, melt them down and have enough aluminum to rebody the car!!! They are some huge front and rear wheels and weigh a ton.

Vince, the car is looking good but now that you made the firewall look so nice, the headers stand out as being fugly. What can/should we do? Obviously the timeline is short so unless there is an easy/quick solution, then fugly headers it is for now!!!

Damn True
03-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Do slightly grungy headers impact lap times?

patoke
03-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Good point, if they are too shiny then they might blind me on the track!!! At least that is a possible excuse I could use. :trophy-1302:

Vince@Meanstreets
03-18-2014, 02:18 PM
We can do all of that next winter when we go through that engine for the next season. :D

intocarss
03-18-2014, 07:36 PM
just the one? WTH ha

. Yup just the one .The lug holes got messed up so it was replaced,, The car's is looking nice Vinny

WSSix
03-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Nice car patoke!

Vince, you guys are doing good work. Good luck finishing it out.

Vince@Meanstreets
03-19-2014, 01:41 AM
thanks a lot guys.

Its a fun project for the shop. It was rough going through the holidays but it looks like we are going smooth now.

Here are a few pictures of the shift hole reduction and fireboot install.

gnx7
03-20-2014, 12:37 AM
nice work!

Maybe talk him into an LS swap ;)

What trans does he run? Rear end/suspension?

Vince@Meanstreets
03-20-2014, 02:36 AM
nice work!

Maybe talk him into an LS swap ;)

What trans does he run? Rear end/suspension?

Thanks buddy,
LS? haaa maybe in a few seasons. This ones meant to be a slap down, hang it out track car.

Running a T56, 12 bolt and full Global West Cat5 set up front and rear.

mdprovee
03-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Love what you are doing to it Vince.

Vince@Meanstreets
03-23-2014, 01:05 AM
Love what you are doing to it Vince.

thanks Mike!! Hope all is well with you.

Here are some steps taken to locate the oil tank in the cowl.

I added a remote cable to open and close the system. Along with a warning lamp.
I made a few retainer brackets to keep the cable in place and to avoid binding.

Vince@Meanstreets
03-23-2014, 01:11 AM
More on the accumulator actuation cable.

I made a bracket that will also have relays ,circuit breakers, harness mount and fire suppresion nozzel.

Also the aluminum rock guard for the oil tank. Which can be removed with the fender on.

intocarss
03-23-2014, 11:06 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Vince@Meanstreets
03-25-2014, 02:11 AM
battery tray and wiring going in...also some more interior work.

Vince@Meanstreets
03-27-2014, 04:40 AM
One of the other big things that I had to address was the tire clearance issues up front. With the CAT5 suspension there is a lot of built in caster. Not good for stock fenders.

Here are a few shots of what had to be done. Chop here chop there. Im hoping it will be very subtle when finished. Also I cut the fender flanges off and replaced them with 3/16" cold rolled round rod. Then bulged the fender out a bit to match the rear quarters.

Vince@Meanstreets
03-27-2014, 04:56 AM
fender after trim and weld then full prep

this mod alone added 1" side clearance and 1 1/4" to the rear. From the side the tire looks centered again.

Payton King
03-27-2014, 08:19 AM
Great work! I check this thread everyday

patoke
03-27-2014, 09:22 AM
Looking good Vince

Vince@Meanstreets
03-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Great work! I check this thread everyday

Looking good Vince

Thanks guys, its finally starting to flow again. Door bars are going in for the last time today. Hope to be done by the time I leave today. :welder:

67zo6Camaro
03-27-2014, 02:58 PM
Looks really good Vince. Just getting wind of this thread. I like it.

Vince@Meanstreets
03-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Looks really good Vince. Just getting wind of this thread. I like it.

thanks Brett, its been mostly clean up and getting it up to current safety standards.
There will be a few more changes next year. Cross my fingers.

BTW, cage was put in with no diag bar. :twak:

Damn True
03-27-2014, 08:08 PM
thanks Brett, its been mostly clean up and getting it up to current safety standards.
There will be a few more changes next year. Cross my fingers.

BTW, cage was put in with no diag bar. :twak:

That got fixed I presume?

Vince@Meanstreets
03-27-2014, 08:35 PM
That got fixed I presume?

It will be eventually, I have to get the rest done and i'll see what kinda time I have left.

I wish we were doing it over from scratch cause its been a chore getting my noz into some spots, the front lower bar took me 45 min to do. laying in the car and finger tip control equals fun. Got 360 but I had to sacrifice a lense.

After 5 hours 45 min..... 60% is welded up. Had to take a break, looking at tig arc too long gives me a migraine, then im no fun to be around.

Sieg
03-27-2014, 09:57 PM
I feel for ya Vince, that's tough tedious work and to get rewarded with a migraine is just wrong. :thumbsup:

Would one of these torches help?
http://www.ckworldwide.com/flex-loc.htm

patoke
03-27-2014, 10:28 PM
Thanks Vince. :confused18: it does look fantastic. Those welds are beautiful

Rod P
03-28-2014, 01:15 AM
then im no fun to be around.

when have you ever been fun?????????:stirthepot: did I miss that era?

Vince@Meanstreets
03-28-2014, 01:45 AM
when have you ever been fun?????????:stirthepot: did I miss that era?

haaaa, at least I have a sense of humor.

Hey! where were you today? The toilet papers out in Allens can.

:waveflag:

Just finished the door bars then put the dash back in. It was a rough Thursday. I'll weld in the top of the diagonal Saturday.

Vince@Meanstreets
03-28-2014, 01:51 AM
I feel for ya Vince, that's tough tedious work and to get rewarded with a migraine is just wrong. :thumbsup:

Would one of these torches help?
http://www.ckworldwide.com/flex-loc.htm

it happens, it will be worth it when done.

What I need is a shorter lense nozzle....and a 90 degree tungsten. :idea:

I got a great idea for finger control. Anyone wanna loan me 60K to develop and proto-type?? :G-Dub:

Flash68
03-28-2014, 02:22 AM
Nice work Vince. Door bars look great.

Sieg
03-28-2014, 08:45 AM
What I need is a shorter lense nozzle....and a 90 degree tungsten. :idea:

CK90V Flex is the best I could find......is 90 amp rating enough? :sieg:
http://www.ckworldwide.com/master.htm

Check the dimensions page.

Vince@Meanstreets
03-28-2014, 12:49 PM
CK90V Flex is the best I could find......is 90 amp rating enough? :sieg:
http://www.ckworldwide.com/master.htm

Check the dimensions page.

not for CM.....I'll keep looking.

Vince@Meanstreets
03-28-2014, 09:29 PM
here is some of the tin work that Rod AKA "The Tin Man" done on the car.

.040 AL...

Sieg
03-28-2014, 11:33 PM
not for CM.....I'll keep looking.

140a and 90* http://www.ckworldwide.com/micro_torch.htm

Vince@Meanstreets
03-29-2014, 12:06 AM
140a and 90* http://www.ckworldwide.com/micro_torch.htm
damn....70amp for gas cooled...looks like im upping to a dynasty sooner than I thought.

my man....im gonna check with my dealer monday....since your up....how many different types of finger tip controls can you find? :goggles:

Sieg
03-29-2014, 12:37 AM
damn....70amp for gas cooled...looks like im upping to a dynasty sooner than I thought.

my man....im gonna check with my dealer monday....since your up....how many different types of finger tip controls can you find? :goggles:
Regretfully you "need" water cooling for the tubing you're doing. =(
What amperage are you using on that cage?

Here's a couple: http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13_674

I'm liking that rotary belt unit with the velcro so you can change the switch position on the torch as needed and the north-south finger movement vs. east-west of the typical dial. :thumbsup:

USA Weld offers that rotary for my HTP 221 Invertig......very tempted. As you know there's times when a foot control is basically useless and I'd have a backup should the foot control fail.

Vince@Meanstreets
03-29-2014, 01:44 AM
Regretfully you "need" water cooling for the tubing you're doing. =(
What amperage are you using on that cage?

Here's a couple: http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13_674

I'm liking that rotary belt unit with the velcro so you can change the switch position on the torch as needed and the north-south finger movement vs. east-west of the typical dial. :thumbsup:

USA Weld offers that rotary for my HTP 221 Invertig......very tempted. As you know there's times when a foot control is basically useless and I'd have a backup should the foot control fail.

The list of things that I need are growing...new torch, diopter lens, tugsten shapener, Dynasty, band saw, gravity boots etc I've been hanging upside down for a few of the jobs.

come to think about it next time im gonna drag the teeter hang up to the shop to help me get to those hard to reach spots...
zWGoLtxlo1g

for the finger control I have the machine set to 180 and that gives me 1/4 turn from off to deal with when im welding. So its about 125-130

In the past I try to do a majority of my welding with the finger control. Its something I recommend when someone is first starting out. Start and perfect the finger controls. Like driving...start with a stick shift. everything else is gravy

Vince@Meanstreets
03-31-2014, 12:36 AM
Underdash is finally done, dash is in, fire system done, steering column mounts finished and seats are going in.

Vince@Meanstreets
04-04-2014, 01:03 AM
Since we had to make even more room for the rear wheels and tires we pushed the lower quarter out about 2 inches. To make it look right we also had to extend the rockers. This will add to the cars aero moving the air around the tire. In theory.

Here are a few pictures from when I was setting up the rear quarter and rocker extension.

Vince@Meanstreets
04-04-2014, 01:52 AM
More on the rocker extension.

Here is a great shot of the side with the fender and quarter mocked in. Very subtle stretch. Makes the 335's look like 295's.

intocarss
04-04-2014, 01:34 PM
LOOKN GOOD VINN :bigun2:

Sieg
04-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Nice work Vince, didn't know you possessed all that metal fab talent. :thumbsup:

Track Junky
04-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Yup. That thing is looking good. :thumbsup:

Vince@Meanstreets
04-07-2014, 09:47 PM
thanks alot guys, its rare to have a customer give you full creative reign on a project. I think he was a bit surprised how far we took it considering it came in for a simple quarter panel and fender replacment.

Here are some more pictures of the fender stretch.

patoke
04-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Looking good Vince

Vince@Meanstreets
04-09-2014, 01:10 AM
Thanks Pat....outside earlier today.

The front fenders came out great. Still doing some finish work to the passenger side fender and extension.

Pretty close to matching the rear quarter.

Ron in SoCal
04-09-2014, 01:26 AM
Looks awesome Vince. :thumbsup:

Track Junky
04-09-2014, 09:18 AM
Yup :thumbsup:

intocarss
04-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

cwylie
04-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Did you widen the front fenders at all? Are you running an inner fender?

Vince@Meanstreets
04-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Did you widen the front fenders at all? Are you running an inner fender?

The front was stretched 1 1/4" to match the rear stretch. It should almost appear stock when done and painted. Till you look closer.

No inner wells. Just tin work to keep rubber and track debris off the exhaust.

The upper control arm prevented us from going with a deeper backspace so we ended up with 5 3/4" BS. We have a bit more room to the outer lip to give the tire more room during articulation a track car normally sees.

Damn True
04-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Curious as to what you see as the pros/cons of this method vs say what JCG did with their BluBalz car

http://www.camaroperformers.com/project-cars/magazine/camp-1004-1968-chevy-camaro-project-car-front-fender-stretching/viewall.html & http://www.camaroperformers.com/camaro-tech/paint-and-body/camp-1001-1968-chevy-camaro-quarter-panel/viewall.html & http://www.camaroperformers.com/featured-camaros/camp-1209-1968-chevy-camaro/viewall.html

Labor hrs?
Weight contribution?
Etc...

Vince@Meanstreets
04-09-2014, 06:11 PM
something about cats and skinning.

Im not sure about time Rupp and Cris might know more on that. I am about 60 hours total to go this route.

Im not dealing with inner wells or edge lips and adding a 3/16" rod so might be a wash with weight. I know this particular car will be a bit heavier compared to how it came in. :lol:

Leroy Rochester
04-11-2014, 01:14 PM
This car and Track Junky's car are really going a long way to enhance my opinion of the '69 Camaros (which I've always referred to as "too chubby" in the past).

I'm really enjoying the step by step on the craftsmanship that's going into this car. I'd love to see a bit more detail on the quarter stretching.

Vince@Meanstreets
04-12-2014, 01:34 AM
This car and Track Junky's car are really going a long way to enhance my opinion of the '69 Camaros (which I've always referred to as "too chubby" in the past).

I'm really enjoying the step by step on the craftsmanship that's going into this car. I'd love to see a bit more detail on the quarter stretching.

Thanks alot Leroy. Craftsman....I like that but im just a regular guy with a good welder and even gooder grinder. :hello:

Alot of inspiration has come from this site. Marquez design, Ironworks, BBT fab, RS, Troy's, Goolsby, B&B Classics, CHC, FAB53, JCG just to name a few. One of these days i'll have to take a vacation to go take a Lazze metal working class and put these great tools to work.

Right now im working on the rear inner wheel house structure and i'll post up a bunch of pictures when im done. If I planned it right it will support the quarter skin fully making it easy to remove or replace.

The thing that is taking the most time is trying to tip toe around old repairs and rust damage around the tailpanel. It should be replaced but we have a track event to make in May. That's a can of worms to be left be for now.

Just a few pictures of the rear quarter work. The 335 19's take up a bunch of real estate. I pulled the front of the quarter then will conture the rocker to help direct the air around the tire. Also close up the gap a bit too.

I actually recycled the curved section of the old quarter panel that I cut off and used it as a flange to keep the new skin flush. Worked out great. It was clean so I tried it. Tacked it in and fit the new skin.

Sieg
04-12-2014, 07:17 AM
Impressive :thumbsup:

patoke
04-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Looking good! :thumbsup:

LS7 Z/28
04-21-2014, 07:04 PM
I've been watching this one since the first post, this thing is sweet Vince. I've been planning on putting my battery in the same spot, I think it makes sense to keep it low and towards the middle of the car. Looks sweet, I think you should paint the front of that rearview mirror black. Just my .02¢.

ArisESQ
04-22-2014, 01:23 AM
Just found this thread - love seeing updates on this thing!

Vince@Meanstreets
04-22-2014, 02:43 PM
I've been watching this one since the first post, this thing is sweet Vince. I've been planning on putting my battery in the same spot, I think it makes sense to keep it low and towards the middle of the car. Looks sweet, I think you should paint the front of that rearview mirror black. Just my .02¢.

Just found this thread - love seeing updates on this thing!

thanks guys, right now its a Borelli Motor Sports getting a Dyno and alignment check.

This place is amazing. This is what my shop wants to be when it grows up.

As soon as I get my bearings i'll update the updates...we are still staying dark till then.

3nyXMEtMbR4

Flash68
04-22-2014, 03:58 PM
That place is legit. They bring out the heavy hittin entourage to the track too.... makes Weld's rig look like a Mini Cooper.

ArisESQ
04-22-2014, 06:01 PM
thanks guys, right now its a Borelli Motor Sports getting a Dyno and alignment check.

3nyXMEtMbR4

Feel free to go ahead and turn mine into a race-car whenever you like.

Vince@Meanstreets
04-22-2014, 07:04 PM
That place is legit. They bring out the heavy hittin entourage to the track too.... makes Weld's rig look like a Mini Cooper.

Its pretty insane there...every stall has a car, some have two cars, one up and another under and there was at lease a tech at each of them.

It was then that I realized that I needed to get my sh** together. It was funny, I told the guy (Aaron) that was assigned to the Camaro "and they actually pay you to work here?" he replied... "yeah, haa haaa but you get to build cool stuff like this".
That made me think, ok im on the right track. Just need more help!

Vince@Meanstreets
04-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Feel free to go ahead and turn mine into a race-car whenever you like.

Full on race cars are a PITA... I'd rather build you a strace car.

I just coined it here you all saw it.

WSSix
04-22-2014, 10:52 PM
cosigned, strace car was coined by Vince. What's a strace car? :headscratch:

The quarter mods came out looking great. Good job.

Vince@Meanstreets
04-22-2014, 11:14 PM
cosigned, strace car was coined by Vince. What's a strace car? :headscratch:

The quarter mods came out looking great. Good job.

haa Thanks,

Street/Race car...I was just teezin Aris.

Vince@Meanstreets
04-22-2014, 11:30 PM
The car had a section from what looked like a door screen. I was going to replace the valance but decided to do something with the gaping hole.

20 ga cold rolled, bent shaped, made two flanges and opened up the centers. Added a 1/8" mesh and decided to leave the rivets silver. It plays off of the wheels well.

ArisESQ
04-23-2014, 12:06 PM
Full on race cars are a PITA... I'd rather build you a strace car.

I just coined it here you all saw it.

Better than a "reet-car," that's for sure.

Leroy Rochester
04-24-2014, 03:44 PM

As soon as I get my bearings i'll update the updates...we are still staying dark till then.

3nyXMEtMbR4

Mazda powered BFG livery Lola T616 hiding on the right?! So sexy... GTP cars are the Elle MacPhereson of race cars. From an older generation and still 10x hotter than anything that's running today!

Leroy Rochester
04-25-2014, 12:00 AM
Didn't realize that was a video until just now (dang phone). So many toys! Love that Cheetah too!

Vince@Meanstreets
04-25-2014, 01:34 PM
haaaa "oh sorry, its a video"

Im going to miss the purple....

patoke
04-25-2014, 03:49 PM
I definitely won't miss the purple!!

Ron in SoCal
04-25-2014, 04:30 PM
I definitely won't miss the purple!!

Yep, mo betta!

Vince@Meanstreets
05-01-2014, 12:30 AM
just bad ass looking.

Car is now over at Pats shop getting finished up for Friday's first run.

I hope he enjoys the car. Its good to get it back to where it belongs. Excuss me while I basically pass out. :faint:

Sieg
05-01-2014, 02:23 AM
Well done Vince! Without a doubt you've earned a Pass Out Breakfast in Bed card this month. :thumbsup:

Track Junky
05-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Nice....So what are the odds of getting me out for Sunday at T-Hill ? :unibrow:

Sieg
05-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Nice....So what are the odds of getting me out for Sunday at T-Hill ? :unibrow:

That probably depends on how many times you text, email, or call him between now and Saturday. :D

You can come out without a car........you won't be alone. :whistling:

Track Junky
05-01-2014, 09:20 AM
That probably depends on how many times you text, email, or call him between now and Saturday. :D

Yup....definitely Sieg. Not going to let you come through my neck of the woods without seeing your ugly mug so either way I'll be there. :unibrow:

Vince@Meanstreets
05-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Well done Vince! Without a doubt you've earned a Pass Out Breakfast in Bed card this month. :thumbsup: that's for Pat to decide. Hard work or not, goals were missed. A lot of work still to come. Thanks for the props. I love the way the car came out regardless. Wish I had a bit more time to fine tune it. I'm just not that fast.

Nice....So what are the odds of getting me out for Sunday at T-Hill ? :unibrow: let me see what I can do. Saturday pick up would be the only way.

Scott...you remind me that I need a secretary/ greeter. Ie interfearence person

1transam
05-01-2014, 12:19 PM
that's for Pat to decide. Hard work or not, goals were missed. A lot of work still to come. Thanks for the props. I love the way the car came out regardless. Wish I had a bit more time to fine tune it. I'm just not that fast.

let me see what I can do. Saturday pick up would be the only way.

Scott...you remind me that I need a secretary/ greeter. Ie interfearence person

I can be in by tomorrow morning.............. as you have learned no one can out text or talk me :BlahBlah:

I loved this build, but am so much more excited to see it leave LOL!!!!!:topic:

WSSix
05-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Looks great, Vince! The rear quarter widening is so seamless which, to me, is a great thing.

Vince@Meanstreets
05-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Looks great, Vince! The rear quarter widening is so seamless which, to me, is a great thing.

Seamless will be up to his body guys....which I am pretty sure don't like me much right now. If I do another a modified tail panel and spoilers are going to be on the must do list....oh and rocker exhaust outlets. :_party: :beavis:

thank you trey

ArisESQ
05-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Seamless will be up to his body guys....which I am pretty sure don't like me much right now. If I do another a modified tail panel and spoilers are going to be on the must do list....oh and rocker exhaust outlets. :_party: :beavis:

thank you trey

I think I know a car that may need those rocker exhuast outlets... after your backlog of cars of course :y0!:

Flash68
05-01-2014, 08:41 PM
just bad ass looking.

I hope he enjoys the car. Its good to get it back to where it belongs. Excuss me while I basically pass out. :faint:

That looks great Vince. Looking forward to seeing it! :thumbsup:

Leroy Rochester
05-01-2014, 10:08 PM
just bad ass looking.

Mother of god! Did that come out nice and get done quick! Awesome.

intocarss
05-01-2014, 11:44 PM
Great job Vince

LS7 Z/28
05-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Just one photo from 20 feet away. C'mon man :bang:

Everyone loves to hate on them but I never get tired of seeing a well built '69. Great work Vince.

Vince@Meanstreets
05-03-2014, 03:58 AM
thanks guys, it was a battle

Just one photo from 20 feet away. C'mon man :bang:

Everyone loves to hate on them but I never get tired of seeing a well built '69. Great work Vince.

thats cause your looking at the red one aren't you. haahaa
thanks man
The next one I do Im def gonna do the Anvil wider front and do a bit wider stretch in the back.

efs69
05-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Looks damn nice Vince. It came a long way from where it started.

Vince@Meanstreets
05-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Im pretty happy with the way it turned out. Its a great track car. Hope to see it in the shop after a few track miles under its belt.

patoke
08-04-2014, 12:54 PM
I figured it would update the thread with some current pictures. Car is for sale in the classified section. It is a great car but I am selling some of my toys for a new business venture

Vince@Meanstreets
08-04-2014, 02:20 PM
looks good pat, i like that you guys left the valance vent black.

payne
08-18-2014, 03:27 AM
The upper control arm prevented us from going with a deeper backspace so we ended up with 5 3/4" BS. We have a bit more room to the outer lip to give the tire more room during articulation a track car normally sees.

So if I get a 2nd set of wheels, should I go to 5 5/8" or stay 5 3/4"? You have a set of fronts laying around the shop?

Cheers,
Jason

Rod P
08-18-2014, 08:19 AM
:buttkick: still the best rear fender stretch EVER! I bet that 99.9% of the people that looked at the car don't even realize the rear was widened 3 inches each side! and 2 on each front fender! :confused18:

payne
09-25-2014, 06:16 PM
Vince-

Two quick questions for you:

1) How do I do an oil change with the accusump? Leave it open at shutdown to put all of the oil in the pan, drain the oil/filter, fill new filter, install new filter, add XX quarts, start, warm, then bring to 3000, close accusump, and then turn the car off? Any idea how many quarts I should use, and how to I measure the level with the accusump, because won't the oil level in the pan depend on what oil pressure I close the accusump?

2) At freeway speeds the door panels rattle pretty badly - can I just drill out the rivets, put a few stripes of dynamat on the inside of them and pop rivet them back in place?

Thanks,
Jason

gnx7
09-25-2014, 07:59 PM
great work Vince! Jason is a very happy guy now! I didn't realize it is his car. I met him via LSx RX-7's :D

Vince@Meanstreets
09-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Vince-

Two quick questions for you:

1) How do I do an oil change with the accusump? Leave it open at shutdown to put all of the oil in the pan, drain the oil/filter, fill new filter, install new filter, add XX quarts, start, warm, then bring to 3000, close accusump, and then turn the car off? Any idea how many quarts I should use, and how to I measure the level with the accusump, because won't the oil level in the pan depend on what oil pressure I close the accusump?

2) At freeway speeds the door panels rattle pretty badly - can I just drill out the rivets, put a few stripes of dynamat on the inside of them and pop rivet them back in place?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

When I had it dry it took about 12 quarts.

I would drain with the accusump open. If you wanted to drain the accusump you can take the drivers side wheel off and remove the cover and remove the lower fitting and let drain. Not necessary but it can be done.

Fill it with 7 quarts. Start and watch the oil gauge. As soon as it shows pressure shut it down and recheck the oil level. My guess is you'll be in it 10 quarts.

" because won't the oil level in the pan depend on what oil pressure I close the accusump " no, its part of the system and just holds pressure. Just leave it open to level off.

On the doors, they have been gutted and I recommended the doors to be replaced. The reinforcement was cut out. You can try to dynamat. Don't need much. 3" x 22" strip on the inner panel. All riveted.

Vince@Meanstreets
09-25-2014, 08:54 PM
great work Vince! Jason is a very happy guy now! I didn't realize it is his car. I met him via LSx RX-7's :D

Thanks Mark, the thing is a BEAST!! You should see what the previous owner is into now. :Tomcat:

Ron in SoCal
09-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Thanks Mark, the thing is a BEAST!! You should see what the previous owner is into now. :Tomcat:

You mean the standard, 'I'm selling to start a new venture, uh I mean LMP car'? :lol:

Works for me :cheers:

Flash68
09-26-2014, 12:34 PM
You mean the standard, 'I'm selling to start a new venture, uh I mean LMP car'? :lol:

Stalker.

Ron in SoCal
09-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Stalker.

I should really get a life :lol:

:topic:

Vince@Meanstreets
09-26-2014, 11:07 PM
good place to stalk....:peepwall:

Sonar Chief
10-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Thanks alot Leroy. Craftsman....I like that but im just a regular guy with a good welder and even gooder grinder. :hello:

Alot of inspiration has come from this site. Marquez design, Ironworks, BBT fab, RS, Troy's, Goolsby, B&B Classics, CHC, FAB53, JCG just to name a few. One of these days i'll have to take a vacation to go take a Lazze metal working class and put these great tools to work.

Right now im working on the rear inner wheel house structure and i'll post up a bunch of pictures when im done. If I planned it right it will support the quarter skin fully making it easy to remove or replace.

The thing that is taking the most time is trying to tip toe around old repairs and rust damage around the tail panel. It should be replaced but we have a track event to make in May. That's a can of worms to be left be for now.

Just a few pictures of the rear quarter work. The 335 19's take up a bunch of real estate. I pulled the front of the quarter then will contour the rocker to help direct the air around the tire. Also close up the gap a bit too.

I actually recycled the curved section of the old quarter panel that I cut off and used it as a flange to keep the new skin flush. Worked out great. It was clean so I tried it. Tacked it in and fit the new skin.

Vince .... been watching this build and have some questions ... I see the quarter panel cuts and how you reused the front section.

Did you english wheel the quarter or just pull it out to whatever you needed to clear the wheels? Does that method put stress on the quarter, I mean its not relaxed when you weld it in, is it? Or does that really matter?

Do you have a top looking pix of the quarter with the clecos installed?

Thanks for the pixs .... the car came out great!

Vince@Meanstreets
10-12-2014, 02:42 AM
Vince .... been watching this build and have some questions ... I see the quarter panel cuts and how you reused the front section.

Did you english wheel the quarter or just pull it out to whatever you needed to clear the wheels? Does that method put stress on the quarter, I mean its not relaxed when you weld it in, is it? Or does that really matter?

Do you have a top looking pix of the quarter with the clecos installed?

Thanks for the pixs .... the car came out great!

Hey Chief!

No english wheel work at all. Basically pulled the top out and pushed the wheel lip out then blended into the factory sheet metal and into a pushed out trunk drop off.
There wasn't much pressure. The panel from AMD is pretty flexible even more so with the fender lip cut off.

Down at the lower part of the quarter I left 2" of the old quarter and trimmed the new quarter to but up. Essentially adding 1 1/2" of metal to the lower sections of the quarter to make it naturally flare outwards. You can experiment with it before you cut too much metal. Try splitting it from the door striker and cutting just below the body line and slowly trim down till you get the flare you desire.

Sonar Chief
10-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Hey Chief!

No english wheel work at all. Basically pulled the top out and pushed the wheel lip out then blended into the factory sheet metal and into a pushed out trunk drop off.
There wasn't much pressure. The panel from AMD is pretty flexible even more so with the fender lip cut off.

Vince .... thanks for the pixs and the explanation, now I see what you are stepping in!

Thanks again.

Vince@Meanstreets
10-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Vince .... thanks for the pixs and the explanation, now I see what you are stepping in!

Thanks again.

Two things that I wanted to do was extend the spoiler and move the taillights. Next one I'd like to add side rocker exhaust.

Rod P
10-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Two things that I wanted to do was extend the spoiler and move the taillights. Next one I'd like to add side rocker exhaust.

OK!! ready to do a 68 Camaro Fat butt with side exhaust and mini tubs!

Vince@Meanstreets
10-13-2014, 01:37 AM
OK!! ready to do a 68 Camaro Fat butt with side exhaust and mini tubs!

DO IT!! DO IT!! DO IT!! :theresa: :theresa: :theresa:

I think the rear rocker kick out would look bas add on a 68. With a nice stainless box tip.

Rod P
10-13-2014, 07:15 AM
DO IT!! DO IT!! DO IT!! :theresa: :theresa: :theresa:

I think the rear rocker kick out would look bas add on a 68. With a nice stainless box tip.

I was thinking the SAME thing!!!....and 12inch rims hanging out there filling up the well.......I just have to buy two fenders for the front....I am going to play with a stretch there to fit 12inch wides up front, the way we did the back quarters...before I decide completely

Vince@Meanstreets
10-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Whats wrong with your old fenders? Just have them dipped and soda blasted.

payne
10-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Vince-

I'm thinking NACA ducts where the rear windows would be great for brake ducting - what do you think? Or could you actually make the 3 fake vents in the rear quarter real vents for ducting (similar to a c5 z06)?

JP

Vince@Meanstreets
10-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Vince-

I'm thinking NACA ducts where the rear windows would be great for brake ducting - what do you think? Or could you actually make the 3 fake vents in the rear quarter real vents for ducting (similar to a c5 z06)?

JP

Either way would work very well. Let me know.

Flash68
10-13-2014, 12:56 PM
Vince-

JP

Do you already have front brake cooling ducts?

Vince@Meanstreets
10-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Do you already have front brake cooling ducts?

not yet...

payne
10-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Nope. Thinking about two options:

1) remove the driving lights for track days and have ducts behind them?
2) fab ducts outside the headlights - dunno if you'd get enough air into the corners?

Where else do people get clean air for first gen brake ducts?

Cheers,
Jason

carbuff
10-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Where else do people get clean air for first gen brake ducts?

I've seen people do them in the front lower spoiler. Should be a good higher-pressure area to pick air up from.

Vince@Meanstreets
10-13-2014, 04:28 PM
I've seen people do them in the front lower spoiler. Should be a good higher-pressure area to pick air up from.

we can take some air from that front vent or besides the front spoiler.

Flash68
10-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Yeah I certainly wouldn't mess around with rear brake cooling until lots of other mods are done. Simple matter of priority I'd say.

GregWeld
10-14-2014, 10:14 PM
My Mustang has front cooling ducts. And my Lotus has them at all 4 corners.

Sieg
10-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Rout the front air through the subframe and possibly Anvil's scoops in the rear: http://anvilauto.com/products/camaro-67-69/rear-1-4-panel-scoops.html

There's also a pocket around the front leaf spring perch that may accept a small NACA duct.

payne
12-02-2015, 10:48 PM
Vince-

I may be doing a private track day with some friends next week depending on the weather forecast (Will take my CTS-V if raining). We have a LaF, 918, and P1 coming out along with GT3 Cup cars, hellcats, etc. - should be super fun.

What oil do you recommend again? I'm an Amsoil dealer. Signature, Dominator, or Z-Rod? 10-30?

Thanks,
Jason

Vince@Meanstreets
12-03-2015, 12:42 AM
Vince-

I may be doing a private track day with some friends next week depending on the weather forecast (Will take my CTS-V if raining). We have a LaF, 918, and P1 coming out along with GT3 Cup cars, hellcats, etc. - should be super fun.

What oil do you recommend again? I'm an Amsoil dealer. Signature, Dominator, or Z-Rod? 10-30?

Thanks,
Jason

AMSOIL DOMINATOR® 15W-50 Racing Oil all the way!

how is that car doing? be sure to get some pictures at the event please.

payne
12-03-2015, 12:51 AM
AMSOIL DOMINATOR® 15W-50 Racing Oil all the way!

how is that car doing? be sure to get some pictures at the event please.

Car is great - puts a big grin on my face every time I drive it. I'm still very impressed with your work on her.

I started a new company this summer and am working from home and working 80-100 hour weeks so I haven't been back to the track with her yet.

You have any room in your shop in the next few days to prep her for the track day? Oil Change, brake bleed, pad change, chase a small oil leak in the oil cooler, chase an incorrect oil temp gauge, etc?

Thanks,
Jason