PDA

View Full Version : SSBC vs baer/wilwood

fjb2069
05-16-2006, 10:54 AM
ANyone with experience in using SSBC, BAER, Wilwood systems? Looking at 13" front and 14" rear disc with 6 piston calipers. Trying to decide which direction to go. I do not like the look of the bear track calipers, but the baer monoblock seem alot more expensive then similar "looking" SSBC or Wilwood billet calipers.

Any help would be appriciated!

jonny51
05-16-2006, 11:32 AM
I would think you want the 14" in the front and the 13" in the rear.

mazspeed
05-16-2006, 04:30 PM
How much do you plan on spending on your brakes? I personally like the Baer systems as they are rock solid and very reliable. I have heard of problems with the Wilwoods. I think the SSBC's are cheaper, but with my brakes, cheap was never an option. Brakes need to be rock solid. I choose Baer.

Todds69
05-16-2006, 08:31 PM
I dont think there is a right or wrong choice here. BUT, You may want peoples opinion on customer service. My 2 pennies is I think Baer is a great system if they would get rid of the ugly rear caliper, really needs to match the fronts. Wilwood from what I've heard is real nice and I have spoke to them on the phone more than once about some systems. SSBC Force 10 system is nice looking but I think they're pricing includes some extras that I personally don't need. But I suppose if I would call and talk to them they could build a system to suit my needs. Brakes is a little down the road for me but I would call all three and weigh them out yourself.

Sales@Dutchboys
05-16-2006, 08:55 PM
I like the baer kits...
-Paul

ProTouringNyC
05-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Bear with Hydraboost awesome pair :thumbsup:

lil427z
05-16-2006, 09:02 PM
wilwood all the way .
rickk :thumbsup:

markss28
05-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Wilwood, They look by far better and are a bit cheaper. I am looking at a set of 12.19 cross drilled and slotted with 4 piston Dynalite Calipers on all 4 corners delivered to my door ready to install for about $2000.

Baers kit is only a 2 piston up front and 1 piston in the back.

jonny51
05-17-2006, 11:24 AM
I like baer,just got the Baer 6 piston with 14" rotors.

68RS350
06-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Wilwood all the way.

MarksSS28 Check out www.hotrodsusa.com I got the same thing you did for $1500. Let me know if you have any questions. i got everything you need to install them.

mazspeed
06-11-2006, 01:27 PM
I do think the SSBC Master cylinder is top notch though. I think with Baer or Wilwoods you won't go wrong.

camcojb
06-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Wilwood, They look by far better and are a bit cheaper. I am looking at a set of 12.19 cross drilled and slotted with 4 piston Dynalite Calipers on all 4 corners delivered to my door ready to install for about $2000.

Baers kit is only a 2 piston up front and 1 piston in the back.

Unfortunately the number of pistons doesn't tell the tale. The Wilwood 4 piston Dynalites are weak at best. I was VERY unhappy with mine. The standard Baer Track 1/touring combo blows it away in stopping power, and the new bigger Baer systems are even better.

Wilwood makes a nice 6 piston setup for the front which seems to work very well, but have nothing matching for the rear other than the 4 piston Dynalites, which again are not a good comparison to Baers.

Jody

ProdigyCustoms
06-11-2006, 03:05 PM
We have the best prices on Wilwood and SSBC at GPSuperStore.

The Wilwood 140-7019 13" 6 piston front is a terrific deal, combine it with a 140 - 7141 12" rear 4 piston set up, total cost is less then $2300 for front and rear, in black or red calipers. There is no 14" rear wilwood set up.

SSBC is a new product line for us. They have plenty of brake options, and we have the best pricing.

Blown353
06-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Wilwood's kits are designed for race cars, which are bit lighter than your typical street car. I used to have a set of Aerospace components brakes for my 67 Camaro and it was really light as compared to the Baer brakes. I was also impressed on how Baer kits supply everything you need to install the brakes on your car. When I got the Aerospace components kit, I had to buy a master cylinder, special braided brake linkes (that was only available at the manufacturer), etc.
Jeff

Depends which Wilwoods you buy. They have a *lot* of stuff built for the drag crowd which emphasizes weight savings-- as such the calipers are quite flexible and braking power suffers greatly. Given their intended purpose though this is considered acceptable. Unfortunately this is what most people have had Wilwood experience with and as such knock their performance when tasked with street or other hard use.

However, they do have a lot of good calipers for street and road race use... there is a huge difference between say an SL6R or GTIII caliper designed for road racing and the super light weight and flimsy calipers meant for Drag use.

Baer's 1-piece 6-pistons are nice; they eliminate a lot of bridge flex because they're so stiff and therein lies the cost. Lots of machining needed to do a 1-piece caliper. Wilwood and most other calipers are 2-piece with crossbolts which is cheaper to manufacture.

jeff s
06-18-2006, 04:02 PM
We've used em all.
Just hope you're not in a hurry to get any of em.
Hydroboost adds a bunch to the performance, mandatory IMO.

mnchevelle
07-12-2006, 12:30 AM
If you need to check out some brakes http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com has some sweet kits and conversions for almost any car. Right now if you sign on to http://www.gpsuperstore.com they have an active account that will save you alot of money. Check it out some of the best deals around. :thumbsup:

VP23271
06-11-2007, 02:27 PM
If you need to check out some brakes http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com has some sweet kits and conversions for almost any car. Right now if you sign on to http://www.gpsuperstore.com they have an active account that will save you alot of money. Check it out some of the best deals around. :thumbsup:

Just sent you an email and PM! I am looking to get the SSBC set up for the front and rear.

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
06-18-2007, 11:02 PM
You have listed 3 great choices, but for the street I prefer Baer. There well engineered and can handle the elements of the street.

QSPres
06-24-2007, 08:59 AM
All overpriced in my opinion....

A you can score set of C6 Z06 fronts on E-bay, brand new for less than $700 shipped if you look hard and are dilligent. I did. Now I just need the rears....

I'm sure the aftermarket stuff won't be any better than those.

andrewmp6
07-22-2007, 07:38 AM
i have used all 3 im sticking with wilwood from here on out.baer i had lacked stoping power but they was only 2 piston front one rear. the ssbc i only used there rears on my truck parking brake wouldnt work they wasnt any help. my wilwoods are 13 inch rotors 6 piston front 4 rear works great.

mazspeed
07-22-2007, 10:30 AM
i have used all 3 im sticking with wilwood from here on out.baer i had lacked stoping power but they was only 2 piston front one rear. the ssbc i only used there rears on my truck parking brake wouldnt work they wasnt any help. my wilwoods are 13 inch rotors 6 piston front 4 rear works great.

The Baer 2 piston is better then a lot of 4 and 6 pistons out there.

rich-allen
07-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Couple years ago, Baer seemed to be the more popular but now I see a lot of Wilwood setups.
Lots of threads on camaros.net with dissatisfied customers using wilwood.
I have yet to see hear anything bad about the Baer brakes.
I have to admit, the wilwood master cylinders look very cool in a clean engine bay. I don't know much about the SSBC systems.

Good Luck,

Rich

skatinjay27
07-22-2007, 12:54 PM
what about the c5 setup is it worth it...

ProdigyCustoms
07-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Couple years ago, Baer seemed to be the more popular but now I see a lot of Wilwood setups.
Lots of threads on camaros.net with dissatisfied customers using wilwood.
I have yet to see hear anything bad about the Baer brakes.
I have to admit, the wilwood master cylinders look very cool in a clean engine bay. I don't know much about the SSBC systems.

Good Luck,

Rich

Rich, We just had this conversation over at Camaros with David Pozzi, and we kind of all agree using a small set of Wilwoods in extreme conditions, like racing, which David is a racer, is NOT the hot set up. But we also agree on the street for normal driving, normal agreesive legal street driving, even the small Wilwoods are fine. In fact latetly there has been much praise for the smaller (Isn't it funny when we call 12.2" set ups small, LOL) Wilwood kits. I think most of the grief is over the 10.75 set ups that really are kind of small for any agreesive driving. I tend to agree that a good factory set up is as good as the 10.75 unless weight savings (RE: drag car) is a advantage.

The real advantage of Wilwood over Baer, is for the same money as a single piston PBR Baer, we can sell a 6 piston / 4 piston Wilwood set up that kicks the Baers ass in both bling and performance. And the smaller 12.2 / 12.2 4 piston set ups start at only $1500 for front and rear, and hardware and you cannot hardly buy a front Baer kit for that much.

The Baers are great brakes. I mean, they were good enough for factory cars back in the 90s, so they must not suck. but for the same money the Wilwood kills them.

6'9"Witha69
07-23-2007, 04:44 PM
The only way I over do my 12.2" wilwoods, is heavy road course type driving. The 0.81" thick rotors don't like it after a while. That is why I am looking to step up to a thicker rotor. Other than that for better heat dissipation, the Wilwoods are great. Use some Thermlock pistons and it gets even better.

The Baer Price:Performance ratio is too high compared to the Wilwoods (meaning the wilwoods are as good if not better for much le$$!).

Plus they are very cool guys who really do what they can to make and keep you happy! Awesome CS.