PDA

View Full Version : Transgo shift kit almost finished 4L60E

69MyWay
05-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Some of you might remember I have had some strange shifting problems with my 69 LS1 camaro. It is either an issue of some needed mods to the trans which is bone stock other that the 2,800 stall, or some input info errors...like the speed signal dropping out or having noise in it.

Long story short, the first thing to do was install a shift kit. The transgo came highly suggested for this application. It comes with a video and about 6 pages of instructions that are mostly pictures (the kind I like).

I am not comfortable working on auto transmissions, so this is a big deal for me to do the kit. So far so good. I am ready to reassemble. Once it is in I have to have the computer reprogramed as it currently has requests that would cause the shift to be too extreme and actually needs to be tweaked back more stock.

So...it should be together mid week, but he PCM tuning will take another week or two before I know the results.

I am shooting to drop in the 7s in the 1/8th mile with proper shifting.

Steve Chryssos
05-15-2006, 04:21 AM
Very cool. Mechanical line pressure will help you get more from your digital calibration. Computer tuning is the fun part. Be sure to start with the basics like TPS calibration as well as gear ratio and tire dia input. Once you're done setting things up for your vehicle's specs and your personal driving preferences, you will never go back to a pre-electronic trans. The car's personality will be adjusted to your needs. It's that good.

69MyWay
05-15-2006, 04:50 AM
Thanks Steve

BTW...The instructions indicate I should have SEVEN checkballs on the valve body and one larger one between the plate and trans. I only have six in the valvebody, but do have the larger one in the plate.

I didn't observe them when I dropped the valvebody in terms of where they were. I have taken a magnet to the pan, my drain pan, and searched the floor and bench, but can't find the missing checkball.

I am wondering what if any impact this would have had on the performance of the trans if it has been missing one all along.

Today I have to figure out how to find a single ball. Options include stopping into any of the local trans shops or the chevy dealer as I know somebody will have some in a toolbox somewhere. I wouldn't even know how to order one.

Steve Chryssos
05-15-2006, 05:04 AM
Good morning!!

Think of it as a blown circuit. Maybe wierd things will happen and maybe nothing will happen. I'm sure a trans shop will just throw you one. You coming on Power Tour or just stopping by at least?

69MyWay
05-15-2006, 05:22 AM
Good morning!!

Think of it as a blown circuit. Maybe wierd things will happen and maybe nothing will happen. I'm sure a trans shop will just throw you one. You coming on Power Tour or just stopping by at least?

I hope I can just grab one like that. I know my budd that helped me build it in the firstplace as stacks of those in his box, but I don't mind slapping a 5 spot for somebody to stop what they are doing and look for one.

Don't know on the power tour. My job will have me traveling to Miami that week and so I know it will be tight. I live about 45 minutes from the kick off...so just don't know yet.

69MyWay
05-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Oh my dear lord. I just topped off the fluid and took it for a spin. Holy Cow Batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only does it go like a raped ape when you just leave it in drive and nail it, but I can manually upshift without it hanging up on the rev limiter. I think I just shaved 5,000 miles off my back tires! :D

The upshifts are not too harsh at all. They are firm, but it does not jar your bones. I expected it to be very harsh considering the current PCM programming has the line pressure jacked and the mechanical mods now do that as well.

I need to confirm, but if there is no harm in running it as is...I am a happy camper.

I didn't have enough time to run it long term down the highway to see if lock up is going to stay in though. That seems to be a function of the PCM seeing a misfire (common on an LS1 with head/cam work) and turning it off.

What is strange, is I had put a toggle over-ride switch to ground out the lock up when I was trying to diagnose it. Normally it causes a check light to stay on if I trigger it manually, then I clear it with the scanner. However, for some reason it isn't doing it now.

:thumbsup: