PDA

View Full Version : Junkyard 6.0L build?

clay69camaro
02-13-2014, 04:50 PM
I've looked online for prices of an iron block GM 6.0L and some of the adds specify the 8th digit on the block being a "Z" or "T". What's that all about?

I simply want a 6.0L that I can build for a twin turbo set-up. What should I be looking for at a junkyard or online? What kind of head options and intakes will bolt onto this block?

Plan is forged rods/pistons, ported aluminum heads, and get rid of the truck intake. Haven't dove into turbo options yet but something like two precision 76mm turbos or a trick borg warner set-up.

Thanks

Clay

sebtarta
02-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Here is a for sale with exactly what your planning to do

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=44941

clay69camaro
02-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Here is a for sale with exactly what your planning to do

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=44941

Wonder if it will still be around when I get the money to pull the trigger haha

Thanks for that though, It does help knowing there are other members selling what I will eventually need.

67Rally
02-14-2014, 07:29 PM
I've looked online for prices of an iron block GM 6.0L and some of the adds specify the 8th digit on the block being a "Z" or "T". What's that all about?

If I recall, VIN T and Z were both 5.3l engines.

VIN U and N were 6.0l. U is an LQ4, N is the LQ9. The LQ4 has dished pistons/lower compression. LQ9 has flat tops/higher compression.

clay69camaro
02-14-2014, 07:58 PM
If I recall, VIN T and Z were both 5.3l engines.

VIN U and N were 6.0l. U is an LQ4, N is the LQ9. The LQ4 has dished pistons/lower compression. LQ9 has flat tops/higher compression.

So if I were going to be swapping out the pistons and rods for some forged goodies it doesn't really matter which short block I get?

67Rally
02-14-2014, 08:31 PM
So if I were going to be swapping out the pistons and rods for some forged goodies it doesn't really matter which short block I get?

Correct, the LQ4 and LQ9 blocks are the same. The difference is in the pistons and rods.

WSSix
02-14-2014, 10:15 PM
x2 blocks are the same. The blocks also have their size cast in the bell housing area so find the 6.0 when looking at the engine as they are physically the same size as a 4.8/5.3 block.

The good thing about the 6.0 is you can use Gen 3(cathedral port) or Gen 4(square port) heads. You need the 4 inch bore to run Gen 4 heads. This just opens even more possibilities for you when looking for heads and intakes.

Truck intakes are ugly but they work really well to produce great low end torque and high rpm power. It may fit your build plans unless it's just too ugly for your tastes.

67Rally
02-15-2014, 09:03 AM
What kind of head options and intakes will bolt onto this block?

Plan is forged rods/pistons, ported aluminum heads...

Thanks

Clay

The LQ4 & LQ9 come with 317 heads, which flow pretty well. A common upgrade is the 243/799 heads (LS2/6) for a compression bump. They are all cathedral port heads, similar in design but the 243/799's have a smaller chamber volume. Flow is about the same with all 3 designs.

But if you're boosting it, I'd stick with the 317's and keep the compression down.

The other option is to get a set of rectangular port heads, 821's(LS3) or 823's(L92). They flow as well as a ported set of cathedral heads, but some people say they may shroud the valves since you are putting a 6.2l head on a 6.0l block.

I think the LS3/L92 heads will drop compression even more.

clay69camaro
02-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Thanks for all the valuable help everyone, totally pointed in the right direction now :relax: