PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen F-body package tray and deck filler install

maro67
01-30-2014, 09:05 AM
I am working on a 67 Camaro. Currently the body is stripped and on a rotisserie. I am in the middle of installing a partial trunk floor pan and DSE mini tubs. I had originally planned to do the trunk floor first then the mini tubs, but once the trunk was "rough cut" out I realized I had access to many of the hard to reach spots involved in doing the mini tubs by standing in the big hole in the trunk. The car seems stable enough on the rotisserie so I figured I would do the tubs then the floor.

I have to install a new deck filler panel, package tray, outer wheel housings and quarter panels (both sides). I am going to take the car off the rotisserie and support it on jack stands to do the quarters and outer wheel houses.

My question is at what point in all of this is the best time to do the deck filler and package tray? Should I wait until the car is off the rotisserie and install them while I am doing the quarters and wheel housings? Or, should I do it now while the car is on the rotisserie? If I do it while the car is on the rotisserie I would prefer to install the package tray before I close up the trunk floor as it makes it much easier to get to everything.

What do you guys think? Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

redfire69
01-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Having done this on my 69, I would do the package tray first (since this panel extends under the deck filler and includes the trunk lip). Then mock up the quarters and the deck filler at the same time. You should brace the inner structure to the floor if you don't have your inner tubs welded in at the floor and deck lid hinge support. Make sure to check your deck lid fitment too! Good luck-Ron

Vince@Meanstreets
01-31-2014, 12:23 AM
Also if you are doing both quarters and filler take the time and drop your old back light into the hole just to make sure it fits properly before you fully weld it. I even take the extra step to temporarily install the old window trim.

I use rubber hose and tape to set the glass to channel sit gap.