PDA

View Full Version : Caprice plastic tank in a 1st gen Camaro

69MyWay
05-09-2006, 04:28 AM
Finally got the car in the air for a fairly comprehensive shot of the tank. It is a tight fit, but MAN...does it work well. Not to mention the entire install was basically free for me (I was able to part out the 96 Caprice I bought for more than I paid for it). I dropped a 255 Walbro pump right in the tank and used the plastic fuel lines from the caprice all the way to the LS1 up front. Everything snapped together with some minor mods.

This install included reshaping the front of the tank so it would clear the pumpkin, changing the strap mounts, cutting a hole in the trunk to clear the top then using the Caprice trunk floor center to make and access panel for service. The caprice sending unit connected direct to my autometer fuel gauge.

This tank holds about 22 gallons. With the LS1 in overdrive on the highway getting low/mid 20's (modified motor) the car has a super long cruising range.

http://mcspeed.homestead.com/files/Camaro_tank_complete.jpg

Rick Dorion
05-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Great install. Did you reshape the tank using a heat gun?

69MyWay
05-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Great install. Did you reshape the tank using a heat gun?

Yes. and if you look at the picture close you will see an additional black strap in the center of the tank going from the Z strap forward. This is an original camaro tank strap that I mounted there and routed back to the upper bracket to keep it from ever buldging out. I think it is overkill, but it makes me feel secure about the install.

I don't know if a 9" has any larger rear pumpkin size than a regular GM axle. If a regular 10 bolt is not as deep, reshaping might not have been needed.

XcYZ
05-09-2006, 12:17 PM
That thing looks right at home in there.

Sales@Dutchboys
05-09-2006, 02:16 PM
nice install.... :thumbsup:

-Paul

69MyWay
05-09-2006, 02:40 PM
That thing looks right at home in there.

That was part of the plan. I had my eyeball on the caprice/impala tanks and even had a tape measure with me in the truck and would often drop and measure them when I saw them in parking lots (people must have thought I was insane), until I came to the conclusion that it might be able to be done. There was a point there while installing it that I thought it wasn't going to work, but I was too far into it with a deadline for our big trip looming to turn around.

Efi69Cam
05-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Did you have to cut out the bottom edge of the tail panel for clearance or is that just a shadow?

Diognes56
05-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Nice :) . Do you have the dimensions of the tank handy?

David

Derek69SS
05-09-2006, 04:15 PM
I've got 2 of these tanks laying around... free if anyone wants to get them out of my way :) (local pick-up only, will not ship, located near Rochester MN)

69MyWay
05-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Did you have to cut out the bottom edge of the tail panel for clearance or is that just a shadow?

I trimmed just a tad on each side so it wouldn't be riding right on the tail panel edge. I could have also heated and moved the tank in, but trimming the metal was far easier at that point.

CarlC
05-09-2006, 11:31 PM
I agree with Rick. It's a great install using OEM parts. My wife's going to hate you.

Where in the trunk did you have to locate the access panel?

Damn True
05-09-2006, 11:54 PM
What is the capacity on that thing?

rockdogz
05-10-2006, 01:23 AM
What is the capacity on that thing?

This tank holds about 22 gallons.

:thumbsup:

69MyWay
05-10-2006, 04:07 AM
I agree with Rick. It's a great install using OEM parts. My wife's going to hate you.

Where in the trunk did you have to locate the access panel?

http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com/files/trunkmod1.JPG

http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com/files/trunkmod2.JPG

youthpastor
05-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Is the car mini-tubed- looks killer!

If not, do you think it would fit on that is?

rwhite692
05-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Slick, Slick, Slick!! :thumbsup: Nice Job!

69MyWay
05-11-2006, 04:02 AM
Is the car mini-tubed- looks killer!

If not, do you think it would fit on that is?

It isn't mini-tubed. It it were there would be no way to fit this tank in since it is so wide. I just squeezed to the very last micro mm these C5 rear rims under these fenders.

almcbri
05-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Chris,

I got my tank, fuel lines and tank straps waiting on me to pick up at the salvage yard. $75 for everything. Is the access panel from a caprice, or did you make this piece? Thanks for all the help!

Andrew

69MyWay
05-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Chris,

I got my tank, fuel lines and tank straps waiting on me to pick up at the salvage yard. $75 for everything. Is the access panel from a caprice, or did you make this piece? Thanks for all the help!

Andrew

The access panel is from the caprice trunk floor.

Todds69
05-12-2006, 08:40 AM
That is a sweet install. You Da Man! By the way how do you like the Fiberglass monoleaf springs. I've been real tempted, any imput?

69MyWay
05-12-2006, 04:48 PM
That is a sweet install. You Da Man! By the way how so you like the Fiberglass monoleaf springs. I've been real tempted, any imput?

They work very well. I have no complaints at all.