PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Used the Holley/Hooker Exhaust Manifolds?

OBeer-WAN-Kenobi
01-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Ever since my test fit didn't go so well and I know for sure my stock manifolds won't fit I've been looking at various headers and stuff and came across the cast iron exhaust manifolds from Holley/Hooker.

https://www.holley.com/types/LS%20Cast%20Iron%20Exhaust%20Manifolds.asp

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker+Headers/520/8501/10002/-1

Has anyone tried these in a '69 Camaro? I'm wondering about the clearances and if it will fit with the factory power steering box.

I'd rather use manifolds like this as opposed to using next months house payment on a set of headers that may or may not fit. They should be good for enough power for now, they probably won't leak, and they'll probably last forever as well.

There is a sheet on their website with dimensions and I printed it out to check out this weekend. I just thought maybe someone already tried them.

toddoky
01-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Ever since my test fit didn't go so well and I know for sure my stock manifolds won't fit I've been looking at various headers and stuff and came across the cast iron exhaust manifolds from Holley/Hooker.

https://www.holley.com/types/LS%20Cast%20Iron%20Exhaust%20Manifolds.asp

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker+Headers/520/8501/10002/-1

Has anyone tried these in a '69 Camaro? I'm wondering about the clearances and if it will fit with the factory power steering box.

I'd rather use manifolds like this as opposed to using next months house payment on a set of headers that may or may not fit. They should be good for enough power for now, they probably won't leak, and they'll probably last forever as well.

There is a sheet on their website with dimensions and I printed it out to check out this weekend. I just thought maybe someone already tried them.

I can tell you first-hand that they won't fit on a 1st-gen F-body or 3rd-gen Nova due to interference with the steering box.

INTMD8
01-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Fwiw I used Dynatech headers on my 69 Camaro and fitment is perfect.

Vince@Meanstreets
01-05-2014, 01:19 AM
Fwiw I used Dynatech headers on my 69 Camaro and fitment is perfect.

part number DTC-715-11410 is $525 shipped

toddoky
01-05-2014, 08:01 AM
part number DTC-715-11410 is $525 shipped

Hey Vince, do you have a picture of how far the collectors of the Dynatech headers hang down below the subframe? I've read multiple comments from users saying they hang too low and I'd like to see it for myself.

OBeer-WAN-Kenobi
01-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the insight.

BTW, I'm using trans-dapt stock position mount plates that are supposed to mimic the stock SBC bellhousing location.

I have some pictures if they'll help but can't post them until tomorrow. Basically, the top inboard-rear bolt on the steering box lines up with the second spark plug from the back if you are looking from overhead.

Maybe some of you guys with different header brands could snap a pic from above with a tape measure in it for scale?

And yes, I'd rather have my headers tuck up pretty tight. My engine sits fairly low with the Holley 302-2 pan about 1/2" above the crossmember.

toddoky
01-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the insight.

BTW, I'm using trans-dapt stock position mount plates that are supposed to mimic the stock SBC bellhousing location.

I have some pictures if they'll help but can't post them until tomorrow. Basically, the top inboard-rear bolt on the steering box lines up with the second spark plug from the back if you are looking from overhead.

Maybe some of you guys with different header brands could snap a pic from above with a tape measure in it for scale?

And yes, I'd rather have my headers tuck up pretty tight. My engine sits fairly low with the Holley 302-2 pan about 1/2" above the crossmember.

I have various images at work of the new Hooker headers from the same angle and can post them up for you for a comparative reference if you like. The other location you can get a common distance location that is familiar to most is how far away your passenger side cylinder head is from the firewall...I have a clear shot showing that distance obtained with using the new Hooker clamshell retrofit engine brackets and crossmembers as well, so with all of that you should get a fair idea of what your header options are. Lasty, I think it would be important to you to ask anyone posting images of their combos to also show the ground clearance of the headers since it seems to be high on everyone's list of important design features.

OBeer-WAN-Kenobi
01-06-2014, 09:18 AM
I have various images at work of the new Hooker headers from the same angle and can post them up for you for a comparative reference if you like. The other location you can get a common distance location that is familiar to most is how far away your passenger side cylinder head is from the firewall...I have a clear shot showing that distance obtained with using the new Hooker clamshell retrofit engine brackets and crossmembers as well, so with all of that you should get a fair idea of what your header options are. Lasty, I think it would be important to you to ask anyone posting images of their combos to also show the ground clearance of the headers since it seems to be high on everyone's list of important design features.

Yes, please post some pix!

Here are a couple of pictures from this weekend:

toddoky
01-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Yes, please post some pix!

Here are a couple of pictures from this weekend:

As you requested, here's a similar picture showing the clearances of the Hooker driver side header around the steering box and one of the ground clearance under the car. The fitment is obtained using the new Hooker mounts and transmission crossmembers; fitment with other brand/type mounts is questionable due to the unique co-dependent geometry used in the design of the Hooker parts. There is also mid-length headers available that share the same basic wrap around the steering box, so that is another option for you if long tubes don't suit your needs.

OBeer-WAN-Kenobi
01-06-2014, 11:58 AM
As you requested, here's a similar picture showing the clearances of the Hooker driver side header around the steering box and one of the ground clearance under the car. The fitment is obtained using the new Hooker mounts and transmission crossmembers; fitment with other brand/type mounts is questionable due to the unique co-dependent geometry used in the design of the Hooker parts. There is also mid-length headers available that share the same basic wrap around the steering box, so that is another option for you if long tubes don't suit your needs.

Thanks!

It looks really close to mine. At first I couldn't figure it out in relation to that spark plug until I realized you didn't have one in the hole. :headscratch:
It would "appear" that the hookers would fit mine. Last I checked though, you didn't offer stainless steel for the LS swap application. Why is that?

On the other hand, I've got to do something about my subframe now that I found it's pretty crappy. Don't have an extra one laying about do you? LOL

toddoky
01-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Thanks!

It looks really close to mine. At first I couldn't figure it out in relation to that spark plug until I realized you didn't have one in the hole. :headscratch:
It would "appear" that the hookers would fit mine. Last I checked though, you didn't offer stainless steel for the LS swap application. Why is that?

On the other hand, I've got to do something about my subframe now that I found it's pretty crappy. Don't have an extra one laying about do you? LOL

You have to be careful making that assumption of fitment as the new Hooker bracket kit retrofits 1973-up clamshell mounts into the car and are quite different from any swap plate/frame stand set-up. The biggest difference would be the clearance that allows splitting the tubes around the steering box, and the engine height position that is obtained with the mounts. If the height of your mounts is greater than you will not be able to acheive the 3 degree engine/transmission inclination angle we desined into the componenents without having interference issues between the collectors and the floor. That would result in you having to tilt your transmission down at the tail end lower the collectors at the expense of worsening your U-joint working angles. Although the may or may not bolt-in with your mounts, they were in no way designed to do so and provide optimized fitment/operational geometry in your finished package.

As a final comment, Hooker does offer all our LS swap applications in stainless along with all the premium components you'd like to see with the upgrade in material...here's a shot of the stainless version of the same header, notice the investment cast flanges and formed merge collectors that differentiate these headers from their mild steel siblings.

OBeer-WAN-Kenobi
01-06-2014, 12:23 PM
You have to be careful making that assumption of fitment as the new Hooker bracket kit retrofits 1973-up clamshell mounts into the car and are quite different from any swap plate/frame stand set-up. The biggest difference would be the clearance that allows splitting the tubes around the steering box, and the engine height position that is obtained with the mounts. If the height of your mounts is greater than you will not be able to acheive the 3 degree engine/transmission inclination angle we desined into the componenents without having interference issues between the collectors and the floor. That would result in you having to tilt your transmission down at the tail end lower the collectors at the expense of worsening your U-joint working angles. Although the may or may not bolt-in with your mounts, they were in no way designed to do so and provide optimized fitment/operational geometry in your finished package.

I bet I'm pretty close. Jegs sells your headers in a kit with the mounts that I have. I have around a half inch of clearance from your 302-2 pan to my crossmember when sitting at close to the right angle. I did have to swap out the engine mounts that came in the kit with Anchor 2283's which raised it about 3/8-7/16 but I have the lower 302/350 frame stands and the mounts that came in the kit were meant for the 327 stands. With the mounts in the kit, I was pretty much sitting on the crossmember with the oil pan.

P.S. Could you write the part of your oil pan instructions in BOLD where it says that some engines need a dip stick plug removed before the new oil pan is installed? You know, so dipsticks like me don't install the whole thing and then notice there is no place to put the dipstick. LOL

toddoky
01-06-2014, 01:58 PM
I bet I'm pretty close. Jegs sells your headers in a kit with the mounts that I have. I have around a half inch of clearance from your 302-2 pan to my crossmember when sitting at close to the right angle. I did have to swap out the engine mounts that came in the kit with Anchor 2283's which raised it about 3/8-7/16 but I have the lower 302/350 frame stands and the mounts that came in the kit were meant for the 327 stands. With the mounts in the kit, I was pretty much sitting on the crossmember with the oil pan.

P.S. Could you write the part of your oil pan instructions in BOLD where it says that some engines need a dip stick plug removed before the new oil pan is installed? You know, so dipsticks like me don't install the whole thing and then notice there is no place to put the dipstick. LOL

As a point of reference, the clearance between the crossmember and the new 302-2 Holley pan is 3/8" exactly with the engine installed on the new Hooker engine brackets and the Anchor 2292 mounts intended to be used with them. That may be helpful in your measurments. I'll pass along a note on the instruction edit recommendation.

Todd

OBeer-WAN-Kenobi
01-06-2014, 02:03 PM
As a point of reference, the clearance between the crossmember and the new 302-2 Holley pan is 3/8" exactly with the engine installed on the new Hooker engine brackets and the Anchor 2292 mounts intended to be used with them. That may be helpful in your measurments. I'll pass along a note on the instruction edit recommendation.

Todd

Thanks,

Hey, I just saw your ninja edit above. What is the part number on the stainless headers? When I called Holley the other day the sales person said they weren't available in stainless.

toddoky
01-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Thanks,

Hey, I just saw your ninja edit above. What is the part number on the stainless headers? When I called Holley the other day the sales person said they weren't available in stainless.

I believe he was referrring to the fact that they are not available yet. Since you asked, none of the new 1st-gen LS swap headers are available yet. If you PM me I will give you availability and part number information as I got scolded here the last time I posted sales related info...it's strictly tech and fitment related stuff coming from me until I can get Hooker/Holley signed on as a sponsor, which I'm working on.

im4u2nvss
01-06-2014, 04:52 PM
I really like the clearance of these headers. Will there also be a t56 crossmember designed to work with these mounts/headers?

toddoky
01-06-2014, 05:20 PM
I really like the clearance of these headers. Will there also be a t56 crossmember designed to work with these mounts/headers?

Absolutely, T56 and 4L60 crossmembers to be exact (you can also install a TH400 or 2004R on the T56 crossmember.

samckitt
01-07-2014, 11:13 AM

As a final comment, Hooker does offer all our LS swap applications in stainless along with all the premium components you'd like to see with the upgrade in material...here's a shot of the stainless version of the same header, notice the investment cast flanges and formed merge collectors that differentiate these headers from their mild steel siblings.

What headers are these that are pictured?

toddoky
01-07-2014, 01:00 PM
What headers are these that are pictured?

They are the new Hooker LS swap headers coming out for 1st-gen F-bodies/3rd-gen Novas.

jlwdvm
01-09-2014, 01:52 PM
I thought Hooker/Holley had a kit with everything needed to get an LS motor into a 1st gen F-body. Does anybody know the part number or have experience with it?

toddoky
01-09-2014, 03:24 PM
I thought Hooker/Holley had a kit with everything needed to get an LS motor into a 1st gen F-body. Does anybody know the part number or have experience with it?

Hooker/Holley has a system of parts that are for the application, but you build your own "kit" based on your individual needs as there are far too many possible combinations of parts to package a standard kit. Engine mounts, transmission crossmembers, mid-lenth headers, long-tube headers and 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems are all part of the offerings, so you just need to know what you want or need.

im4u2nvss
01-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Hooker/Holley has a system of parts that are for the application, but you build your own "kit" based on your individual needs as there are far too many possible combinations of parts to package a standard kit. Engine mounts, transmission crossmembers, mid-lenth headers, long-tube headers and 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems are all part of the offerings, so you just need to know what you want or need.

Are these currently available?

toddoky
01-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Are these currently available?

PM me for an answer as my ability to post such info is currently restricted due to my employment at Holley.

im4u2nvss
01-09-2014, 05:06 PM
PM me for an answer as my ability to post such info is currently restricted due to my employment at Holley.

pm sent

jeremy30thz
01-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Stainless Works headers fit great around the steering box too

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj122/jeremy30thz/1ff8af50812c05d02a4ecf9330f72e79_zpsa816e63c.jpg

im4u2nvss
01-11-2014, 01:24 PM

Any idea if this mount system will clear RideTech Tru Turn?

toddoky
01-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Any idea if this mount system will clear RideTech Tru Turn?

I have no idea either way as no attempt was made to fit check those parts during development of the Hooker mounting components or headers.

jeremy30thz
01-20-2014, 09:04 PM
A quick video to show how the Stainless Works headers fit on my car
http://youtu.be/OEOxDvYYhgE

rickpaw
02-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Hey Vince, do you have a picture of how far the collectors of the Dynatech headers hang down below the subframe? I've read multiple comments from users saying they hang too low and I'd like to see it for myself.

Toddoky,

Here are a few pictures of the Dynatech headers I took yesterday for a member here. I'm using DSE mounts as recommended by Dynatech, and as the pictures show, they hang way too low. My car is lowered with Hotchkis 2" drop front/1.5" drop rear.

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt250/rickpaw/67%20Firebird%20LS%20swap/P1010644_zpse9922b91.jpg (http://s616.photobucket.com/user/rickpaw/media/67%20Firebird%20LS%20swap/P1010644_zpse9922b91.jpg.html)

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt250/rickpaw/67%20Firebird%20LS%20swap/P1010646_zps6d94cfaf.jpg (http://s616.photobucket.com/user/rickpaw/media/67%20Firebird%20LS%20swap/P1010646_zps6d94cfaf.jpg.html)

I'm in the market for different headers now.

OBeer-WAN-Kenobi
02-11-2014, 11:00 AM
I'm in the market for different headers now.

Holy crap those things are low!

Maybe if enough of us bug Texas Speed they'll send us some pix...

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=45035

67Rally
02-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Holy crap those things are low!

Maybe if enough of us bug Texas Speed they'll send us some pix...

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=45035

The more I look at them, the more I think they are the same header just in a stainless steel finish. I could be wrong, but both headers (drivers and pax) look nearly identical to each brand.

sebtarta
02-12-2014, 01:17 PM
The more I look at them, the more I think they are the same header just in a stainless steel finish. I could be wrong, but both headers (drivers and pax) look nearly identical to each brand.

Here is a blend of the Dyantech and Texas-Speed, the TS header is over tsnow678 picture. They are exactly the same, the only difference I can see is the collector.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/sebtarta/72BlueNova/dynatechblend_zps4b3d23bd.jpg

Pictures belong to Texas-Speed.com and to tsnow678

67Rally
02-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Here is a blend of the Dyantech and Texas-Speed, the TS header is over tsnow678 picture. They are exactly the same, the only difference I can see is the collector.

That's funny, I was going to do a similar photoshop earlier today. They have to be the same design.

rickpaw
02-13-2014, 09:25 AM
I was going to say the same thing. Looks like the same design.

Stovebolter
02-17-2014, 08:06 PM
I have no idea either way as no attempt was made to fit check those parts during development of the Hooker mounting components or headers.

I'm a little confused. Didn't the 48 Hour Camaro use this engine swap system? If so it should fit the Ridetech True Turn system as that is what they used?

Also, the clearances look great but how did the transmission fit? Any mods required on the transmission tunnel for my 69 Camaro with your system and a 4L60E?
David

toddoky
02-18-2014, 10:21 PM
I'm a little confused. Didn't the 48 Hour Camaro use this engine swap system? If so it should fit the Ridetech True Turn system as that is what they used?

Also, the clearances look great but how did the transmission fit? Any mods required on the transmission tunnel for my 69 Camaro with your system and a 4L60E?
David

No, the 48 Hour Camaro was built before the new Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts were even on the drawing board. The assembly of that car used the existing Hooker swap plates and 2288HKR headers that have been on the market for about 5 years now. The Crusher Camaro that was swapped by the Roadkill crew at the PRI Show in Dec. however did use the new Hooker/Holley parts...there's a big difference in the approach to how these components work. The 4L60 fits like butter with the new mounts and crossmember.