PDA

View Full Version : Project status...deadline approaching!

69MyWay
02-20-2005, 04:29 AM
As some of you guys know now, I am pushing to finish my 69 Camaro by the July Goodguys show in Columbus, Ohio. This was my first car my dad and I built from scraps when I was a kid. Got rid of it in 1989. Lost my dad in late 2003 and went on a search for the car. I found it about 200 miles away on the third owner. Paid WAY too much for it and brought it home. We started the rebuild in March 04 with grand plans of all sorts of different ideas with the help of Radrambler.

http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com/69_Camaro_Resurrection.html

Fast forward to now. I have just finished the engine/trans build and mounted that in the subframe assembly. I am back on the body work. I HATE sanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having to go back and perfect the super shaved firewall and jams. If all goes well I will be spraying color on the inner panels by next weekend (that is a lofty goal).

That will allow the engine/trans to go back in and start fitting the outer sheet metal, then the final exterior body work will begin.

Working mostly alone with a new baby and a full time job...this is tough (but fun).

I decided to just KILL my credit card and hammer this thing out to make our goal. I had been spending, paying it off, then spending again.

Can you say:

($3,500 to SLP for head/cam/injectors, $3,000 to Summit for go fast goodies, $3,000 in trim, paint, etc, $2,000 for this and that, etc, etc, etc, etc, ...THE FEELING OF GETTING IT DONE ON TIME>>>>>>>Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I promise I will do a better job of updating and detailing my website once some of the project slows down a bit.

Until then........see ya out in the shop!

:thumbsup:

68protouring454
02-20-2005, 05:11 AM
nice project, goodluck, can't wait to see the finished product!!
oh ya, you still got the vette???
jake

69MyWay
02-20-2005, 06:08 AM
Yep, the 69 Vette aka Killer is just collecting dust in the house garage. I drive it to work here and there and take it out once in a while, but it gets little use (two seats), now that we have a baby boy in the house.

I have plans for it in the future that should take it way over the top. If you notice I rarely post any pictures of the engine. Not that it isn't nice...RPM aluminum heads, EFI, March pulleys, etc. etc...just that I have way too much "bling, bling" going on in there and it makes me want to hurl when I pop the hood. So, it is waiting for the next go around.

68protouring454
02-20-2005, 07:00 AM
cool, glad to hear to kept it, its sad to see guys project cars get sold to build another, although the next one is usually more outrageous, very cool
jake

69MyWay
02-20-2005, 03:39 PM
The engine is finally in the subframe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://mcspeed.homestead.com/files/subframea.JPG

http://mcspeed.homestead.com/files/subframec.JPG

Steve Chryssos
02-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Looks great. Thanks for taking and sharing all those build pix.

spaztikatik
02-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Holy crap I wish I had money :rolleyes:

907rs
02-20-2005, 06:45 PM
You Know, 69myway, I perused your camaro site a LONG time ago, and didn't realize that you're also the guy with the Killer 'vette!

The camaro is looking good. :) Keep us updated on your progress!

radrambler
02-20-2005, 07:07 PM
hey

69myway.....i knew youd bust right through that motor deal...
its sunday night and shop talk online ......
ramblers on the ground ....wow....its really on the ground...
im happy and worn out....i was only one there....ice tea is my friend..haha
glad you got the front clip/engine together....
i realized i could paint the bottom of the car/suspenion crap brown...CAUSE YOU CANT SEE UNDER IT..HAHAHA....
live and learn...

congrats on the progress
radrambler

trapin
02-21-2005, 11:52 AM
69myway....I've been following your build for the past 2 years, some great progress you're making there. I'm especially looking forward to the paint pictures as my car is going in for color this July. Can't wait.

Looking good. :thumbsup:

jonny51
02-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Is the killer vette stll owned by you?

69MyWay
02-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Is the killer vette stll owned by you?

Yep, just drove it to work today :thumbsup: I figured it could use a little "blowing out"...if you know what I mean. :D

jonny51
02-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Yep, just drove it to work today :thumbsup: I figured it could use a little "blowing out"...if you know what I mean. :D

That car is one nice vette makes me want a convertable vette.

MarkM66
02-22-2005, 09:13 AM
I plan on getting my '70 Nova done by GG Columbus too. Actually want it done by GG DesMoines wich is the week before. I think you're a little further along then me though. See you there, :thumbsup:

69MyWay
02-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Update....I am deep in the Jams now. The shop that had the car with the prior owner hung new quarters on the car and lipped them in right at the door jam. They had simply crammed seam sealer in there. The spot welds are nice. I had to dig all that out and begin to fill and smooth it the best I can. I am not 100% happy with this, but I will make it work and look fine.

Still wrapping up a few more long skim coats on the firewall to get it perfectly smooth. Going to drop the racing stripes down the firewall, so it has to be right. As you may have noticed my brakes, windshield wiper, hoses, wires area all gone from the firewall. I reshaped it around the trans tunnel and eliminated the dimples for the washer lines (relocated). So, this will make a super trick wall that begs for the stripes to run down.

I hope I can get it all ready for jam paint by the end of this weekend. Picking up my paint supplies on Friday.

Once that is done the engine/trans/sub frame goes under and reassembly begins!

trapin
02-24-2005, 12:06 PM
What type of filler are you using for the firewall?

As soon as it gets warmer here (Michigan) I'm going to be laying down some filler on my firewall. It's all welded up with the DS&E filler panel. I just have to do some grinding at this point. I'm planning to use Evercoat Everglass with a light skim coat of Evercoat Rage for finishing.

69MyWay
02-24-2005, 12:35 PM
What type of filler are you using for the firewall?

As soon as it gets warmer here (Michigan) I'm going to be laying down some filler on my firewall. It's all welded up with the DS&E filler panel. I just have to do some grinding at this point. I'm planning to use Evercoat Everglass with a light skim coat of Evercoat Rage for finishing.

Here is the story behind it. I started out by making my own block off panel and welding it up. I wasn't satisfied with just closing the a/c blower holes and wanted to make the seam go away. I started filling with heavy duty filler. It got THICK! I primed it up and slapped the car on the 360 dolly to do the floor pans, etc. Once I got the car down I noticed a crack in the filler! So, this next picture is after my wrath and a grinder with a wire wheel tip. I followed this by making a template of cardboard and had a local speed shop precision cut it for me from steel. I zinc/weld through primed both sides and tacked it on. You will notice I closed off EVERYTHING in the process. I ended up with some warping across the panel and had to run some evercoat icing type filler over that with a 17" long file to make sure it is square. Total filler is minimal and cracking should never be a problem. Since these photos I went back and closed the steering shaft hole to just enough to clear the shaft since I shortened the column up behind the wall. I also cut my a/c and heater hoses and built some simple aluminum sheetmetal grommets to keep them from wearing holes through the firewall holes. My a/c drier is in the passenger cowl with a power antenna and Vintage Air heater control valve.

The lines go up high hidden from view until they pop out of the inner fender right next to the engine.

http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com/files/firewall_cleaned_out.JPG

http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com/files/firewall_template.JPG

http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com/files/plated_firewall_2.JPG

http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com/files/primed_firewall_camaro.JPG

spaztikatik
02-24-2005, 06:15 PM
dibs on having him do mine :)

69MyWay
02-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Jams, firewall....PAINTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did the racing stripes right down the firewall and textured the lower part of it.

I am exhausted!

For some reason the paint lifted in the trunk lid and the upper b pillars. I also ran out of paint so that will have to wait until next week. At least I will be able to finally set the sub frame in for good!

69MyWay
02-26-2005, 04:19 PM
BTW--I was pushing my materials really hard today. Temps didn't break above 68 and it just started raining. My dry times and technique had to be adjusted to get the paint on.

In those pics above we pushed all the parts in the shop just in time to beat the rain showers.

907rs
02-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Looks great! Are you using base/clear, or single stage?

69MyWay
02-26-2005, 04:51 PM
Looks great! Are you using base/clear, or single stage?

Dupont Base/Clear

68protouring454
02-26-2005, 04:59 PM
you painting out side??
also are you using a yellow pinstripe on the racing stripes?
good work
jake

69MyWay
02-26-2005, 05:07 PM
you painting out side??
also are you using a yellow pinstripe on the racing stripes?
good work
jake

Partially painting in the garage and under a cover outside.

That is a gold accent stripe on the edge of the racing stripe. This is the exact color combo we used when we first repained this car in 1985.

The main color is 1986 Renault Alliance met red, the black is Cadillac Black Cherry, then the accent is just met gold.

radrambler
02-26-2005, 06:47 PM
i see progress...congrats....reminds me of 1988....remember when?
cant wait to see it painted ...ill stop by tommorrow..

radrambler

spaztikatik
02-26-2005, 07:49 PM
man, i hate to say it

i was 3 in 1988

damn :rolleyes:

69MyWay
03-01-2005, 03:58 AM
1/28/05 Update----

Engine/trans/sub frame permanently installed
Brakes are functional
A/C lines connected and system vacuumed
Inner fenders in
Radiator in
Engine wire harness dressed and permanently attached

jonny51
03-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Your just knocking that machine out!

radrambler
03-01-2005, 06:42 PM
hey guys
i know 69myway..he can flat go through a build out..i have witnessed his building of projects before(we go back to 1988)...he wastes no time...
good job ..chat soon

radrambler

69MyWay
03-01-2005, 07:09 PM
Well, here is the deal. I have a soon to be ONE year old that requires a lot of time (as some of you know). My wife likes the car hobby but can live without this part (grinding, sanding, welding, grease..etc).

She is also committed to the July deadline but I had to broker a deal. I get Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat, & Sun with exception for Church, other events, etc. to plow ahead on the car fairly un-interrupted. Tues and Thurs are dedicated Family night. Just got done watching one of the Baby Einstein videos with my kid and giving him a bath...etc.

The way I see it I have just under 70 days counting weekends and week nights to finish this car into June. It seems like a lot of time, but some of those days are just 1 to 3 hours a night to grind it out, and other things will come up.

XcYZ
03-02-2005, 10:02 AM
You're really kicking ass on the car. :thumbsup: And I know how hard it can be to juggle work, family and hobbies. There just isn't enough time in the day.

Jay Hilliard
03-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Looks great. Keep the updates and pics coming. Best of all....cudo's on taking time to worship. :thumbsup:

Jay

69MyWay
03-03-2005, 07:16 AM
Looks great. Keep the updates and pics coming. Best of all....cudo's on taking time to worship. :thumbsup:

Jay

Thanks Jay. I look at it this way. The human condition is very much like a high performance engine that needs regular and continued maitanance to perform at peak capacity. When left unattended for long periods of time it tends to lose power, run poor, bilch and kick smoke all over the other cars, and pretty much run itself into the ground. You gotta keep good quality fuel in it and give it regular tune ups to keep it running smooth. Well, I depend on a regular pause to set my priorities straight each week and get a good tune up to make it through the rough times. Without it, I am a mess!

Waiting on the glass guy to show up right now. Got the rear window cleaned up and ready to seal down. He is bringing a new front glass to install. I prepped and painted all the window channels so it will be sealed all the way around.

Tonight is family night, so I will be hammering like a mad man come Friday night! Going to attempt to get the body panels all lined up for the next step.

69MyWay
03-08-2005, 04:05 AM
Virtually all the body panels are on now. I am really fighting to get a decent alignment and gap. It won't be perfect, but at least it will be consistently off all around!

The aftermarket cowl hood appears to simply be too narrow, or the aftermarket core or front nose piece is too wide. Either way you could drive a mack truck down both hood gaps.

Of course I chipped some of the jam paint while fitting the doors/fenders. Oh well, nothing a touch up brush can't handle.

I am working my way at this point to start long blocking and priming the whole ride. Got a few more mechanical and body fit items to fight first.

69MyWay
03-11-2005, 04:23 AM
Computer shipped out for programming. Headers mods pend.

Some how I pinched a wire on my power windows and they are blowing a fuse now since I put the doors back on. You got to just step back and laugh, because yelling doesn't do any good!

Anyway, hope to kick some butt this weekend and move closer to getting some paint on the skin.

Got the radiator tied up with hoses, etc, and am moving down the "to-do" list as fast as I can building to that day when we twist the key and see if the shade tree rebuilt LSX motor fires off!

69MyWay
04-08-2005, 06:11 AM
Status report:

1. Paint on (wet sand and buff pends after engine running, etc).
2. Header FINALLY roughed in and test fit last night. It fits!!!!!!!!!!! It is DARN close to the neck on the steering rack, but I think it will fly.
-I ordered some of the Edelbrock couplings to weld to the collector so the rest of the exhaust can be bolted up with no gasket needed and resused:

Ball Flange Collector (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=flo-15925&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp&x=32&y=13)

Going to spend the weekend getting the weather strips and minor trim on the car. Preparing my list of "have to order" items to wrap up the body.

Once the Ball Flange collectors come in I will take the headers back to the shop to TIG weld up the mods to the driver header and add the ball flange. I will send them out to be coated, then the next trip will be to the muffler shop!!!!!!!!!

You know what that means? It means I will then get to see if the motor will actually run :willy: and...maybe, just maybe....go for a drive! :D

I am thinking I am two weeks from hearing it run (due to the header coating, etc), and then another week from driving it putting me smack into MAY. That gives the remainder of May to get the buffing, interior, and trim done, then start flogging it out on the street to see what is going to break before the big trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

69rs
04-08-2005, 07:01 AM
Incredible! :hail:

trapin
04-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Your not working fast enough.

Faster...FASTER!!!

...just messin with ya. Car is coming along great. I just have a few trim pieces to put on the floor in the kitchen tommorow and it's back to the garage. Finally!

67cam406
04-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Looking Good,
I will be looking Forward to seeing it in Columbus.

Kevin

69MyWay
04-14-2005, 05:24 PM
It runs! It lives!!!!!! It ROARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sort of.

Got the headers back. He suggested running them in, then yanking and coating them for a better bit on the ceramic. So, I bolted them up, did the last minute hook up including the computer back in the harness. Said a quick prayer and spun it over. It hardly made two spins when it sprung to life. It is loud as heck (open headers). It took a few for it to build oil pressure and other vital signs.

I was able to add fluid to the trans and power steering.

Plan on running it to the muffler shop on Saturday morning.

This afternoon I fired it up and put it in gear. It moves!!!! This is great because I won't have to winch it on the trailer.

RIght now I have a code P1336 (crank sensor re-learn). My buddy at the GM dealer is going to re-program that (common problem). We then have to let it learn the base idle. Right now it won't idle on its own, but I am also not able to let it run much because it is too loud.

I will upload a video clip this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

907rs
04-14-2005, 08:00 PM
You're getting close Chris!! :thumbsup:

69MyWay
04-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Okay....door panels ON, carpet IN, LARGE order for NPD arrive last week and little by little parts are going in place.

Dropped the seats off on Friday to be recovered. Picked up speakers, sub, box, and other goodies today to wrap up the sound system.

One thing I will say...I HATE these cheap aftermarket parts!!!!!!!!!!!

You spend three times as long installing them because they never fit the first time, need some kind of adjustment, and then you end up scratching or damaging another panel fighting with them....ARGHHHHHHHHH!

Off my rant now.

Hope to have all the interior in by next weekend and ready to simply color sand and buff out the paint, then to the alignment shop, back to the house to wrap up some details on the exhaust...then driving!

69MyWay
05-03-2005, 06:08 AM
Update:
-All interior in except the headliner and rear window lower trim.
-Body color sanded with 2000 wet
-I resprayed the header panel last night as the driver racing stripe was over about 1/8" and caused the whole stripe to look strange.
-Stereo in
NEXT:
-Buff paint
-install markers, trim, front grille etc.
-headliner
-alignment
-pull exhaust, coat exhaust, rehang with trick hangers
-DRIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jonny51
05-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Record Time!Now to sell that vette :unibrow:

onebad68
05-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Project looks great. Let me know if you might need any local help getting it done on time. I live in Jacksonville.

69MyWay
05-10-2005, 04:08 AM
Very scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually drove it to the gas station on the corner last night. There was no pre-planning, it just kinda happened.

Taking the morning off work and heading up to the alignment shop. My buddy is the local highschool shop teacher AND GT1 race car builder/driver. He is going to set up the suspension for me today. I had to run it last night to make sure it was ready. The school (where my wife also teaches) is only about a mile from my house.

First impression driving it last night? Nervous WRECK!!!!!!!!! The front is all whacked with no shims as of this moment and it drives strange. However, the motor ran fair, trans shifted, brakes worked, power steering was effortless, and it made it there and back.

More soon.

Hey, ONEBAD68, I might take you up on the offer. Time is getting short to work out the bugs in this thing. If all goes well I will run it around a bit this weekend before the headers come back off for coating.

groovyjay
05-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Very scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually drove it to the gas station on the corner last night. There was no pre-planning, it just kinda happened.

Man, you are really pushing the boundaries on how fast one can build a cool ride, you should start a series like Overhaulin'. I'm currently working on all four cars, little progress here and there, getting the C3-R ready for a top speed shoot out on 21st. All the body panels for the GS project came to Finland today, gonna pick'em up on Friday. Maybe you and I should start that show... :D How the little Chris doing? Helping you out in the carage yet? :thumbsup: Keep it up!

Jay
www.C3-R.com

MarkM66
05-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Sounds like you'll have it done in plenty of time for GG Columbus, :thumbsup: .

69MyWay
05-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Jay,

Good to see you here! I hope in the near future I will be trying to rush the project completion to ship one of these cars to Finland and cruise the back roads of Europe with you and your dad. That would be a blast!

Garrett is growing like a weed and loves to play in the Camaro while I am out in the shop.

Going to hit it HARD this weekend and try to drive it to a local cruise in then to church on Sunday. That will be a HUGE accomplishment.

MarkM66, Good Guys is looking more and more like a go. Just got to get some miles under the tires now and work out all the details.

Steve Chryssos
05-13-2005, 06:00 AM
The car got done quick, because his dad was helping him in spirit.

Chris,
I greatly respect your efforts. Finding that car and bringing it back to life is downright inspirational.

radrambler
05-13-2005, 04:16 PM
hey chris

:hail: kicking but on the ride i see....im ready for a ride this weekend .....
34 years old sunday...
JUST THINK WE WERE 17 WHEN WE MET..BOTH HAVING THE 69 CAMAROS...
and you have yours back .restified .mine doesnt exsist .....
MAN, HALF OF OUR LIFE time flies.......
crazy ...
the rambler is sitting LIKE A BOAT ANCHOR........NO IT HASNT BEEN TOUCHED THIS WEEK.... NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT.....
ill call ya

radrambler

69MyWay
05-15-2005, 04:09 AM
Hey Rad, headers will come off by the end of the day so let's get together early afternoon for a ride!

Took the car out last night with the family. The baby fell asleep before we hit the interstate. All systems except the cruise control were working great. I have to take a mean grinder to the rear wheel lips because I was scraping the sidewall on the tires on bumps and acceleration. :eek:

Here is the bad/funny part. I RAN OUT OF GAS!!!!!!!!!! I guess I now know my fuel gauge is not 100% accurate. I installed a fuel pressure gauge and that was the way of knowing quickly the engine was indeed starving. Broke down going UP HILL. Got out and started pushing. I was amazed how far I pushed the car and was thinking I could go the distance when a VERY nice lady named Tina stopped and helped me get it into a parking lot. She took my wife to the gas station for a can of juice. Soon as I got some go juice in she fired right up. The baby was having a blast hanging out in the vacant business park parking lot while we waited. He thought it was part of the evening program.

I have a handful of things to tackle but am feeling more confident now that we can make the deadline.

awr68
05-15-2005, 05:02 AM
Chris glad to hear it's all coming together in time and you'll make the deadline!! I love your stories and the fact that you include the family every step of the way!! :thumbsup:

69MyWay
06-18-2005, 04:11 PM
UPDATE!

Just drove the Camaro with my wife and 15 month old about 200 miles to the Florida National Parts Depot hub to return some items and pick up some floor mats.

Oh, I also had to pop for two new rear EMT Goodyears today :eek: A tad of $800 later and I have fresh rear rubber. The right rear that I had got a cut on the bead where my buddy remounted it for me and it kept loosing air. Since the fronts are in perfect shape and are EMT tires AND I don't carry a spare, I thought it would be best.

Still having A/C problems. Vintage Air has been awesome helping me trouble shoot the problem. Got some more tweeks to do there and should be G2G soon.

Can't get the cruise control to respond. I replaced the entire unit this last week and still no go. I am going to set the dip switch to another PPM pulse per mile and experiment. That means the original one was good so I can slam that on the 69 Vette some day.

Other items are holding up well including the crazy hidden wipers that came in handy today as it has rained off and on all day.

More soon..............

69MyWay
06-20-2005, 04:16 AM
Good news, short term update.

Got the cruise working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hated to do it, but it turned out easy and quick to just mount the magnet pick up instead of tieing into the stock VSS. Cruise kicks butt! :D

It it 100% hidden under the dash and uses the stock GM cruise switch which I blended right into the custom fit 1981 Vette tilt tele column.

The a/c was working okay, but at speed would get to about 55 at the vent. It would start out much colder and the car was comfortable, but nothing to bragg about. In the beginning the heat switch was bad causing an open circuit that was pooring the heat on making the a/c impossible to cool the car. The guys at VA have been great and have given suggestions to follow. The first thing we did was flip the heater hoses.

Long story short, we found out the switch was bad but I didn't re-flip the hoses. I was up against two problems. Once the RPM came up the reversed hoses caused the heater valve to be bypassed and run hot air out of the box on top of the a/c. Got that fixed yesterday morning leading to the final problem.

Turns out I was also a tad low on a/c charge. I may have a slight leak in one of my connections so I shot in some red dye and am checking all of that now. VA is also sending me a new a/c switch as the one I have failed in one position and can't be turned off. He said that happens once in a while.

So, now a few more tweaks and a few more miles before the big road trip!

Oh...the starter is failing now too. I had it redone by the same guy at the same time that did the alternator. Picking up another starter today. Once it gets hot it does not want to engage. :mad:

camcojb
06-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Cool Chris! Can't wait until mine is at the point yours is. I love the way you did this changeover, looks completely like it belongs, and very well detailed. :thumbsup:

Jody

Jay Hilliard
06-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the updates Chris. Let me know how the VA cools once you get it working properly.

69MyWay
06-29-2005, 05:02 AM
One week from today, this Camaro will be pointed north and about this time in the moring (5:00 a.m.), it will be fired up and rolling.

Pressure? Nah.....

Got the a/c sorted out. It cools like a dream. In fact with (humidity factore added) 100 degree weather, we had to adjust the a/c warmer on our road trip last friday! Cruise is also right on target. Going to spend some quality hours this weekend going over all the nuts and bolts and gathering my gear to pack for the trip.

JamesJ
06-29-2005, 11:45 AM
After it is done, all the problems make you really appreciate it, you should be very proud. Great car

69MyWay
07-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Well, this is it. Today was the last chance I had for wrapping up details on the car. It is full of gas and ready to roll. My wife will pack the clothes and baby gear on Tuesay so that we can roll out first thing Wed morning.

I decided not to take Tuesday off work to save the vacation days.

Catch you guys on the flip side.

JamesJ
07-05-2005, 12:05 PM
best of luck to you, and have a safe trip. No speeding

JimM
07-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Good Luck, Chris! Just saaw this today, read the whole thing, a great read it was, too. You gonna sell the movie rights? Overhaulin, move over!

69MyWay
07-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Checking in from my in-laws computer in beautiful Columbus, Ohio. We had a fairly uneventful and safe trip here yesterday.

Left at 5:45 a.m. from N.E. Florida with the car LOADED down with gear, my wife and 1 1/2 year old son Garrett.

Just past half way (approx 900 miles total trip one way), the rear gears started howling again. I can't believe it! I just had the 9 inch unit rebuilt because around the 200 mile mark on the rebuild it was howling and grinding.

Just into Ohio the roads got terrible. Hit a bad set of wash outs in the road bed that broke the driver exhaust pipe loose from the hanger. The hanger behind the rear tire twisted into the sidewall of the tire. It DESTROYED the new Goodyear Eagle EMT runflat that I had just bought a couple of weeks ago. I heard the noise but it was getting late and I kept rolling.

Made it in around 9:30 p.m. with generous stops for the child to get some energy out. He was an absolute angel. The a/c pumped plenty cold, cruise control was a life saver, and the engine just purred like a dream. The only other problem is one I was aware of. For some reason the PCM keeps telling the trans to go in and out of lock up. Don't know why, yet.

All said and done, I was running 23 mpg with the lack of continuous lock up on the converter. My guess is the car will run a sold 25 or more as soon as I get that licked. If I had been running with no a/c and the TCC working all the time mileage will easily exceed 25 mpg.

Today I hauled the driver tire down to DISCOUNT TIRES. They are the BEST tire company on the planet. They worked with me on a new one. Still cost a bit, but they gave me a break and did the swap fast. I bought FOUR new hangers and rehung all the exhaust. Finally, I drained out the 80-90 oil and replaced with LUCAS 85-140 heavy duty. I know this won't fix it, but my hope is the noise will go down a tad. I will be taking it easy until I can get it home.

The fellow that built it for me and replaced it the last time had no suggestions when I called him via cell. He is a good guy, but I will seek out a new gear guy, or just learn to do it myself this next time.

Car is cleaned and waxed and ready to go to the show in the morning.

Thanks for following along. Half of my goal is now accomplished of finishing the car in time to drive to this show.

BTW-My home computer is trashed, so I may not be able to give any updates on the ride home until that is fixed.

BC69
07-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Well Id like to say, "good to hear" but at the same time your tire and exhaust problems isnt cool. Yet for such a long ride with such a new build, that is something to be proud of!! You thrashed to get it done, and drove relatively smooth all the way to Ohio!!

Next step...get yourself and award to drive home with.

Thanks for the update...best of luck

Tim

69MyWay
07-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Complete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drove into Florida Sunday night around 9:00. Car ran perfect on the way home other than the TCC going in and out and the loud noise from the 9".

I spent Monday trying to catch up on some rest, clean up around the house, and collect my thoughts. Just got our home computer working again late last night.

Having pushed so hard for so long to pull this off, I am happy to say it was a complete success. We didn't get any awards at the show, but it wasn't about the show anyway. It was about busting butt to get the car done in time to drive there and back without any major failure or time spent on the side of the road.

Future plans for the car include:

1. New set of INTRO brand wheels
2. More computer tuning
3. Tweaks here and there.

I want to get the car to the track and run some 1/4 mile slips and or a chassis dyno.

For now however, I am going to relax a bit, do some home repairs and reflect on our accomplishments.

rockdogz
07-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Wow, congrats on your accomplishments! Surprising about no awards, as your car is beautiful from the pics, but that was a big show. Glad to hear you made it back safe and sound! :thumbsup:

69MyWay
07-12-2005, 07:30 PM
And the grand photo of the family at the show....

camcojb
07-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Great looking family Chris! Good job on the car, sounds like a great first voyage.

Jody

XcYZ
07-12-2005, 08:31 PM
And the grand photo of the family at the show....

I'll have what he's drinking - from the looks of it, it must be good stuff. :yes:

Steve1968LS2
07-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Wow, congrats on your accomplishments! Surprising about no awards, as your car is beautiful from the pics, but that was a big show. Glad to hear you made it back safe and sound! :thumbsup:

Hell, I didn't even find his car :(

You can bet there WOULD have been an award.. that show is just too damn big..

69MyWay
07-13-2005, 04:50 AM
The show was massive on large. Just overwhelming in size.

Here are two pics of my car at a tad after 7:00 a.m. on Saturday. This is in the parking lot right backed up to the exit road about 400 yards or less from the actual exit from the fair grounds.

I really wanted to meet up with Steve and some other guys. Just got lost in the size of the crowds.

69rs
07-14-2005, 12:04 PM
A great story all the way! Congratulations! :thumbsup: Does anyone know how many cars were at Goodguys?

69MyWay
07-14-2005, 06:13 PM
A great story all the way! Congratulations! :thumbsup: Does anyone know how many cars were at Goodguys?

I guess it was right at 6,000 cars from what I heard.

69MyWay
07-21-2005, 05:11 AM
This should be a new thread maybe.......but.

Since we made it home from Columbus I tore the car back down.

I have fixed/replaced/tweaked.

1. rear calipers (replaced)-They were used 2001 SS camaro calipers and the right one had a slight leak detected on the way home.
2. rehung/reworked/re-shaped some aspects of the exhaust pipes over the axle.
3. Replaced the fuel sending unit ($293!) as the old one had some bad spots in it making my gauge read crazy.
4. YANKED the defective 9" and am getting a complete replacement (should be here tonight).
5. Mailed the PCM off for a gentle retune in hopes of getting the TCC lock up to function correctly (increase the gas mileage).
6. General minor tweaks on this and that.

****IF***** I get it running again by Friday night we are going to drive it to Tampa for a weekend get away. Here is the twist. My wife had friends there she wants to see, and I am going to take the camaro to visit the guy that sold it back to me. Here is the extra twist...The 85 Vette that I traded him as well which was the one I initially traded the Camaro for in 89 is now dead. His wife was t-boned by a fox body mustang. He negotiated a deal with the insurance to keep the car and a clear title. Once he got it home it was hurt more than he wanted to be involved in. So, guess what? I am talking to him about buying that back. Plans for that car are simple. I already have my eye on another LS1 from a 2000 Corvette. Need to snag a transmission, harness, computer, headers, and some brackets...and BANG. Going to slam that in the Vette. Body looks like a 96, it is lowered to the ground, and prior to trading it to him I rebuilt the brakes, diff, suspension parts, a/c system, etc. etc.

AND...I would put the C5 wheels from my Camaro on the Vette, and get Dave at www.hvydeez.com to hook me up with some sweet wheels for the Camaro.

The wife wants to drive the 85 Vette once it lives again.

cjrolke
07-21-2005, 02:12 PM
i went to your website and was looking around and knew i seen that car when we were up there
here is a pic i took on saturday
http://rolke.dyndns.org/ftp/goodguys%202005/DSC03317.JPG

large file

beautiful car

XcYZ
07-21-2005, 02:30 PM
here is a pic i took on saturday
http://rolke.dyndns.org/ftp/goodguys%202005/DSC03317.JPG

Good picture, and did you happen to notice the kid with the green t-shirt that seems pretty amazed with the Nomad? lol

T Bell
07-21-2005, 09:18 PM
didn't notice but that was some great photography. Nice plates as well. I'd block that if there's away.

69MyWay
07-22-2005, 05:14 AM
didn't notice but that was some great photography. Nice plates as well. I'd block that if there's away.

Thanks man. I have thought of that, but dang...the tag is there every where I go. I guess if some sicko wants to use it to contact DMV and find out where I live, or personal info....I just can't stop them from trying. There are some sick folks in this world.

Well....the 9" was not ready last night...but, the PCM did make it back from Indiana for reprogramming and is now installed. Everything is a go pending the 9" install (I hope tonight), then it will roll again onto Tampa this weekend.

trapin
07-22-2005, 01:00 PM
I love the color. What color is that?

69MyWay
07-22-2005, 03:08 PM
I love the color. What color is that?

1985 1986 Renault Aliance Mica Red with Cadillac Black Cherry stripes and gold trim.