PDA

View Full Version : '71 GMC track day

bovey
11-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Hello Lateral-g.net,

Here is a video I shot in the summer time, just finally finished it. A couple of laps, hope you enjoy it.

https://vimeo.com/79890973

bovey
11-22-2013, 08:58 PM
holy crap. Just noticed this is my first post, been a wall flower for too long...

Track Junky
11-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Lines need work, shift linkage is sloppy, and steering gear ratio needs attention. Other than that keep at it. We've all been there at one time or another :thumbsup: .

bovey
11-22-2013, 09:41 PM
lol. Thanks! Yes, should have mentioned this was my first track day. I'm running more power than talent, so I was little timid with the track and was getting out of the power band. Just started taking on corners this year. Pointers welcome!

bovey
11-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Here is another video. This past September, we ran the truck in the Targa Newfounland. It was the first truck to ever do it. There were a lot of naysayers, but we did it and surprised everyone, even ourselves to be honest. Enjoy the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru3i7lPP5EA

ru3i7lPP5EA

If interested look-up Targa Truck on fb, or google it.

cheers,
bovey

Ron Sutton
11-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Welcome Bovey !

Flash68
11-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Here is another video. This past September, we ran the truck in the Targa Newfounland. It was the first truck to ever do it. There were a lot of naysayers, but we did it and surprised everyone, even ourselves to be honest. Enjoy the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru3i7lPP5EA

ru3i7lPP5EA

If interested look-up Targa Truck on fb, or google it.

cheers,
bovey

Love the truck and glad you came back here to post! :bigun2:

WSSix
11-12-2014, 08:11 PM
I can't tell you how happy I am to see a LWB C10 being built and ran hard. Not only that, but it's a GMC. I love you man!

ccracin
11-13-2014, 09:24 PM
:trophy-1302: I love it! That had to be a blast! Please post more about the truck!

bovey
11-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Welcome Bovey !

RON! I did not know you were here! Everyone, Ron helped me sort out my brakes and shocks. He also gave me loads of advice during my limited build to take on the Targa Newfoundland. We have bigger plans in the future.

Love the truck and glad you came back here to post! :bigun2:

No problem. Back when I originally posted stuff, trucks didn't seem to be very popular here. I'll put together a thread on the truck. More is happening.

I can't tell you how happy I am to see a LWB C10 being built and ran hard. Not only that, but it's a GMC. I love you man!

Thank you. lol. You rock. Kinda had to make a choice, let the truck gather dust in the garage, or do something with it. While it's not an ideal platform for racing, it is crazy fun. And that is what I need. Glad there are a few more like me that like the LWB trucks.

:trophy-1302: I love it! That had to be a blast! Please post more about the truck!

It was unreal fun and scary as hell at times. As mentioned above, I'll put together a build thread and get it going over here. In the meantime, here are a couple of fun articles:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/car-culture/100-dollar-beater-gmc-pickup-becomes-endurance-racing-monster

http://www.autos.ca/motoring-memories/final-drive-1971-gmc-longbox-targa-truck/

rustomatic
05-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Congrats on the Road and Track write-up--bet you didn't expect that!

Famous last words: I just want to try it, maybe once...

bovey
07-10-2015, 08:51 AM
Hello everyone,

My latest video. This is the final stage from the 2014 Targa Newfoundland, a town named Brigus. Settled in 1612, it is a beautiful place to drive fast.

5e6qlmlUSP4

DBasher
07-10-2015, 09:30 AM
Looks like someone was having a blast! That's awesome Bovey, thanks for sharing!
:cheers:

Flash68
07-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Frickin awesome! Great video guys... thanks for sharing. Looks like an absolute blast.

bovey
07-12-2015, 07:42 AM
Looks like someone was having a blast! That's awesome Bovey, thanks for sharing!
:cheers:

It was so much fun, also scary as hell. But once you hit the throttle, you forget about everything except what is in front of you, with exception to ocean, cliffs, rock and churches in the middle of the road.

Frickin awesome! Great video guys... thanks for sharing. Looks like an absolute blast.

Again thank you. Trying to make better videos than just a single GoPro pointed crooked out the windshield. And yes, it was such a blast. The fact they close down towns set us free is unreal.

This course was about 4-5 miles. We had open highway runs that were 20-30 minutes of coastal drives. 45-47 stages in total, over the course of 5 days, the Targa Newfoundland is an amazing event.

bovey
07-15-2015, 04:25 PM
The Targa Newfoundland Megaspeed episode airs tomorrow on Discovery Channel in Canada.

For our US friends, the show might be getting released south of the border. If not, we will find a way to get the episode live for you to view.

Flash68
07-15-2015, 06:12 PM
Awesome. Would love to watch the show somehow.

Ok I think you've inspired me to go watch Love the Beast again. :)