snappytravis
10-02-2013, 10:30 PM
I would say ditch it,

Ron in SoCal
10-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Street or race?

Che70velle
10-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Why would you want to ditch the VVT? Do some research first. Once you really understand the tech, you'll see the potential. It's not just for heavier vehicles anymore. GM rolled it into their new gen5 engines, for the Vette, and they run pretty decent.

It's definitely "easier" to just ditch it, buy a cam, and run it. The non-VVT cam is cheaper. And tuning is easier also...

I've seen both sides of this argument. Bottom line is this: VVT is here to stay. It's in its infancy currently. It's a technology that's moving forward at a very fast pace. I say give it a try. It's only money. Just my 2 pennies.

youthpastor
10-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Why would you want to ditch the VVT? Do some research first. Once you really understand the tech, you'll see the potential. It's not just for heavier vehicles anymore. GM rolled it into their new gen5 engines, for the Vette, and they run pretty decent.

It's definitely "easier" to just ditch it, buy a cam, and run it. The non-VVT cam is cheaper. And tuning is easier also...

I've seen both sides of this argument. Bottom line is this: VVT is here to stay. It's in its infancy currently. It's a technology that's moving forward at a very fast pace. I say give it a try. It's only money. Just my 2 pennies.

well said. That sums it up. We ditched it and saved some tuning time BUT VVT is here to stay

Ron in SoCal
10-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Street or race?

Yeah I quoted myself.

I like the idea of VVT. Some companies like Mast have it down and take great advantage of it. Extra Hp and Tq through the mid-range, for a street car what's not to like?

OTOH, if going for a max effort/max use build and there is no significant gain on the top end why not use a bump stick with a little more umph? Taken further, a solid roller will go places a no VVT cam will.

MHO only...:bigun2:

sshep71
10-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Keep it!

Mast and TSP have awesome cams for VVT engines. VVT is the best of both worlds and its only getting better as we go. I am doing 2 VVT engines, both are turbo setups with the MAST VVT-SS cam. I am doing a 370 and a 403, from what MAST told me with the VVT cams and low boost I should EASILY break the 575 mark on the smaller engine and the 700 mark on the bigger engine. Send your heads to Lingenfelter and have them CNC them. OHH BTW I am also looking for 20-25 MPG with my setup. KEEP IT!

Che70velle
10-03-2013, 10:01 PM
I bought my Mast VVT cam for my LY6 last fall, and at that time a Mast Motorsports cam and header only LY6 was making a tick over 500 ponies at the crank. Not too shabby for a low buck build. If I were building an all out drag race engine, I'd go solid roller non VVT for sure. But for a street cruiser, with an occasional auto cross, the VVT is a great all around package.

kainedogg
10-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Should I keep it or ditch it it's a l92 out of a 2008 escalade

I would not ditch it just for the sake of ditching it.

Just from reading, it seems the GM system is not as advanced or geared towards performance as many others, ie. the offerings from Nissan, Toyota or Honda but more geared towards emmissions. Everything aftermarket used with the system seems to be set up to compensate for this shortcoming. :bur2: