PDA

View Full Version : Cable or throttle by wire ?

driveability
09-21-2013, 12:51 AM
I'm installing an 2000 Ls1 into a 1973 Porsche 914. Needless to say theirs no one from Porsche or GM heading the project. What do you experience guys have to say about the throttle control. :idea:

http://imageshack.us/a/img716/1318/kjl7.jpg

67goatman455
09-21-2013, 01:48 AM
well for simplicity sake, since you are using the older LS1, then use the harness and cable driven throttle body from the same vehicle.

but with the engine in such a different location, i would see drive by wire being a lot easier than running a cable back there. So if going that route, start looking at custom harnesses. PSI is a good choice, there are many others.

rjsjea
09-21-2013, 12:19 PM
With the engine placement I think DBW is a better choice. I got a harness from BP automotive looks complete with good diagrams

driveability
09-24-2013, 01:17 AM
Thanks for your input, a cable isn't too hard to do since I did it once before with my old V8 914. I did however get a DBW throttle body and the controller with a small harness with all the included parts.
I would like to go DBW as I guess Cruse control is something I would love to have. I'm not sure If I can set up CC but surely people have done it.
The thought of ABS is also something I would like but I'm not sure how the Porsche ABS wheel triggers mate with GM modules. Yes it would be a ton of work so I'll set that back on the back page for now. I was a dealership Tune up and driveability tech for GM dealers. Spent decades dealing with factory programing so different from the wild west so to speakek in the hot-rod world. Hope I can get the hang of it, sounds like a blast to me !

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h34/driveability/970.jpg

jovozx12
11-13-2013, 11:44 AM
DBW would be nice if you want to have cruse control. I have seen it done with a motor and steering column swap. Seems to be easy that way.

redefined
12-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Like others have said for pure motor placement reasons I'd go electronic and custom harness.