PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Mounting Locations for '67-'68...

trapin
04-24-2006, 08:17 AM
I'm in the process of mocking up my electric fuel pump location. I want to tuck it away so it's not seen so much but from what I remember I thought it had to be mounted lower than the tank itself in order to work properly.

What I need are some pictures of how and where electric fuel pumps have been mounted on '67 and '68's to get some general ideas. Thanks.

XcYZ
04-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Tony, what pump are you going to run? I've run several different types of electric pumps (Holley, Mallory) above the level of the tank and never had a problem.

Todds69
04-24-2006, 08:27 AM
I'm running a Mallory 140 in mine. I made a mounting bracket for it and the filter right in front of the tank. I need to plumb a return line so it runs cooler/smoother.

Steve68
04-24-2006, 09:48 AM
That's where I ran mine, in front of the tank on the Nova, but I don't run tail pipes, Yet, I think thats a good place

When are you gonin to update your site got any new pictures, or have you been taking alot of time off,

I'm hoping to get my rearend back this weekend, and then powder coated, then hope fully back inthe car,

trapin
04-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Scott, I'm actually debating between using my old pump and buying a new one. The old one has been in a drawer for about 13 years. It's a Holley Electric. Not sure what model....I could check it when I get home. It's blue in color. Back then I think Holley made 2 pumps. A red one for performance applications and a blue one for the street. That's where I'm at right now on my project. I've got my rear suspension out and am in the midst of mocking up the gas tank assembly. In the process I also want to fabricate a bracket to hide the pump and that's why I want to get some ideas on where I can put it. If you've never had a problem running them above the level of the tank than my job just got easier. Back in the day the pump I have now used to hang down a bit below the rear valance panel and could be seen from behind. I hated it but that's where Summit told me it had to go. Perhaps that's how the old pumps were and the technology has been improved over the years to negate the necessity. Can you recommend any pumps out there now? The engine will be a 406 (approx 500 horsepower).

Steve68, I'm guessing when you asked about a site being updated you were talking to me. I should have a ton of new stuff on there in the next couple of months. The car goes into the paint booth in July. For sure this time.

Speedster
04-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Scott, I'm actually debating between using my old pump and buying a new one. The old one has been in a drawer for about 13 years. It's a Holley Electric. Not sure what model....I could check it when I get home. It's blue in color. Back then I think Holley made 2 pumps. A red one for performance applications and a blue one for the street.... Can you recommend any pumps out there now? The engine will be a 406 (approx 500 horsepower).

Tony - I have used both Holley pumps, but let me preface that by saying if the pump has sat for 13 years, the seals are probably going to be as hard as rock and for the price I would highly recommend a new pump. The Holley "Red" was for the street and was preset to 7 psi. The Holley "Blue" came with a regulator and was the "strip" pump. Both would free flow at 110 gph. The blue could do it at a higher pressure. I used to have a "red" in my 68 Firebird and switched it to a 'blue" with a small N20 shot. Never had problems with either and they both had been mounted in the trunk above the level of the tank. The only thing was that I had increased the diameter of the pickup line and also ran 1/2" moroso aluminum fuel line to the front.
I just sent a brand new "blue" pump to Rayman in Australia that I had bought but didn't use. It will support 500 hp and is at Summit/Jegs for around $105. Just be sure to use a good free flowing inlet filter to save any headaches. Remember for normally aspirated sizing (.5 lbs/hr * horsepower)
Hope this helps.

trapin
04-24-2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks Bruce. That's some good info. You're probably right. I'm going to use the old one for mock-up and then chuck it. When the time comes I'll get the new one. :thumbsup:

Speedster
04-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Good choice Tony. The last thing you want with a buildup that took so much care and effort is to have an a.) leaky fuel pump or b.) one that leans out your motor under full throttle. :(

Steve68
04-26-2006, 06:08 AM
Cool, Tony I like to see some progress on the site with budget minded builds like ours, your site of course,