PDA

View Full Version : T56 install question

Van B
04-23-2006, 05:44 PM
I am attempting to install my T56 with my LS2. The trans was from a 2002 Z28. I was able to get the input shaft through the splines of the clutch disc and I thought I was having trouble getting it into the pilot bushing. I had it as far as the throwout bearing touching the pressure plate springs.

When I took the trans back down, it looked like the input shaft had been in the pilot bushing, but I could not push it any further in. What are the chances that: A) the input shaft is too long, or B) I was unable to compress the little spring on the throwout bearing far enough to get everything together?

At the closest point, trans case was about 1 inch from the flywheel housing, too far to get a bolt started.

Anybody have any input as to what my problem is? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Teetoe_Jones
04-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Are you 100% positive that the pressure plate is tourqued down all the way? If not the fingers on the plate won't be fully compressed and you won't be able to slide the trans into the bellhousing.

Tyler

Van B
04-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Torqued pressure plate bolts to 52 lb/ft. The clutch disc did not move all the while I wrestled with the trans. Does the throwout bearing spring need to be compressed? I am thinking I just did not have enough leverage laying under the car.

Mkelcy
04-24-2006, 12:05 AM
I am thinking I just did not have enough leverage laying under the car.

Tell me you were using a transmission jack and not bench pressing that heavy SOB into place.

Van B
04-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Update: Had it almost together last night. The first time I had the clutch disc off center just enough not to let the input shaft go into the pilot bearing. After recentering the clutch, I was able to get the trans and bellhousing to within about 1/4 inch by sliding it in as far as I could and drawing it in with the mounting bolts. At 1/4 inch everything stopped solid.

It seems to me like the input shaft is bottoming out in the pilot bearing. As if the tapered part of the input shaft is all the way through and the splined part is pushing in on the pilot bearing.

Again, does anyone know of any compatibility issues with an LS2 and a LS1 T56?

murtah
06-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Jeff,
Any update on this? IS there a compatibility issue with an LS-2 and a T-56 from a LS-1?

Van B
06-19-2006, 05:57 PM
The issue was that my engine builder has been doing a lot of LSx engines with 4 speed transmissions so he had a pilot bearing in the crank that was set back about a half inch or more to the rear of the car. When I pulled that bearing out, I was able to see another recess where the correct pilot bearing would fit.