PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use Ricks Tank ?

glassman
08-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Hey you guys, some of you have read that my current Spectra tank is inadequate for what i'm doing with my car, light track use, auto-x....
The tank is good, i just didnt do enough research in the beginning, its not baffled enough and the pump is too light duty

So i'm thinking of upgrading to the Ricks. Better baffling, 18g vs 12g. Pump good to 450hp ( i currently have 400 ish, and will soon be doing heads and cam taking me to 540 ish)

Anybody with this tank, Gen 1 or 2?

The increased capacity will keep me from doing the mini-tub mod later?

Is the fuel pump easily swapped out for a more powerful one?

I will check with Ricks on Mon or Tues..

thanx, MIke

carbuff
08-11-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm using one in my 2nd gen, with the Vaporwerx pump / baffle option. It's a nice tank, well built, and Hector was great from a customer service perspective! Once they actually received payment for my order (not their fault, an ex-sponsor here's fault) I had the tank in-hand in a couple of weeks.

One thing to consider... I had them angle the front corners for exhaust clearance. So if you are going to mini-tub and run wide rear tires, this is a good idea to give you space to run tail pipes all the way to the back.

Sieg
08-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Mike,

From my observations quite a few people around here use Rick's tanks with favorable results.

youthpastor
08-11-2013, 12:13 PM
we've used Rick's on several projects- Hector is the MAN!

Rick D
08-11-2013, 12:15 PM
I've got one but mine still in the box :bang: cut corners and good for mini tubs! Very nice product and looks to be well built!

Still not sure if and when I will use though as I'm not changing out my motor for a while.

tazzz2_ca
08-11-2013, 02:20 PM
I've used them on multiple cars I own and have never had anything but great experiences with their product...... Hector and Rick are a pleasure to deal with and their product is always great....

214Chevy
08-11-2013, 08:11 PM
I had one with my big block 509. It was a carbureted version, but the tank was superb. This go around, I'm going with the Vapor Worx for my LS motor. The quality if the tank splendiferous.

glassman
08-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Well I'm sold, thanks for the input, I will be going the Ricks route...

Mike

MaxHarvard
08-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Everyone loves seeing the stainless tank under the car... always get questions about mine.

It's great!

Vince@Meanstreets
08-30-2013, 02:21 AM
They work and fit great but the 2nd gen ones hang down pretty far. Just be ready for that.

Bmf5150
08-30-2013, 06:42 AM
Happy with mine, works great!!and hector been great every time I call and ask questions

Code510
08-30-2013, 12:50 PM
I installed one in a 65 Chevelle. Fit perfectly and looks amazing.

My only "complaint", if that is one, is it weighs a ton! But I know that is from using heavy duty materials, which I was happy about. Just made installation a little harder than the stock gas tank.

6D9 Matt
08-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Got mine ordered from Hector at Rick's the other day... cant wait to see this thing! If you have any questions or concerns, giving Hector a call. Awesome customer service, I spoke with him 5-6 times on the phone before deciding on which setup (pumps, etc) to go with.

:cheers:

snappytravis
08-30-2013, 10:14 PM
I have one in my 69 Camaro, I think you can buy cheaper but you probably can not buy better!

glassman
08-30-2013, 10:32 PM
They work and fit great but the 2nd gen ones hang down pretty far. Just be ready for that.

I love a nice rear!

is that the fabulous Mrs. Pozzi mobile?

I believe it holds an extra 4 to 6 gallons...hence the low rear.

I've got a broken hand, and a cast, so i'm tryin to figure out how to do this with one hand lol

glassman
08-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Got mine ordered from Hector at Rick's the other day... cant wait to see this thing! If you have any questions or concerns, giving Hector a call. Awesome customer service, I spoke with him 5-6 times on the phone before deciding on which setup (pumps, etc) to go with.

:cheers:

Matt, which tank did you end up going with?

Vince@Meanstreets
08-31-2013, 12:36 AM
I love a nice rear!

is that the fabulous Mrs. Pozzi mobile?

I believe it holds an extra 4 to 6 gallons...hence the low rear.

I've got a broken hand, and a cast, so i'm tryin to figure out how to do this with one hand lol

Ouch, no way that thing weighs around 50 lbs. Good thing about being low is maybe you can prop it up with 2x4's. Word of warning, bend the straps to contour the tank before you wrestle it up.

No, Mary's car is darker. Its a customers car.

6D9 Matt
09-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Matt, which tank did you end up going with?

Went with the regular Ricks EFI tank (non-Vaporworx). I dont plan on autocrossing the car or anything like that, just a weekend cruiser. Went with dual Walbro 255 pumps.

glassman
09-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Got my tank installed on thursday. Wierd, it actually holds less fuel.

Question, my sending unit is either not hooked up right or somethings amiss.

Its got a VDO sending unit, and i've got a Dakota Digital VHx unit, I've got it programed for VDO, A VDO diagram i looked it up and it showed the to guage wire off to the side and the ground to the center, could i have it hooked up backwards?

btw, the fuel guage isnt working....I'll call Ricks or Dakota on tuesday....

And Vince, wow, yes those straps were too tight, we actually had to buy longer caridge bolts, now you can see them from the rear, me no likey.

thanks for any help, Mike

Rick D
09-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Hey Mike glade you got it in!!

glassman
09-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks Rick, it really looks good in its home. Now if i can just get the guage to work.....

Ya gotta get that 572!!!!

parsonsj
09-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Hector and the boys make their tanks in aluminum too, if you're concerned about weight. I'm using one of their aluminum tanks in my current project.

Vince@Meanstreets
09-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Got my tank installed on thursday. Wierd, it actually holds less fuel.

Question, my sending unit is either not hooked up right or somethings amiss.

Its got a VDO sending unit, and i've got a Dakota Digital VHx unit, I've got it programed for VDO, A VDO diagram i looked it up and it showed the to guage wire off to the side and the ground to the center, could i have it hooked up backwards?

btw, the fuel guage isnt working....I'll call Ricks or Dakota on tuesday....

And Vince, wow, yes those straps were too tight, we actually had to buy longer caridge bolts, now you can see them from the rear, me no likey.

thanks for any help, Mike

I've ben meaning to call him cause I like to run rubber strips between the tank and straps, they need to be 3/4" to an inch longer I think.

Hector and the boys make their tanks in aluminum too, if you're concerned about weight. I'm using one of their aluminum tanks in my current project.

Really? that would be great. Would you know what gauge AL do they use?

parsonsj
09-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Really? that would be great. Would you know what gauge AL do they use?It's either .090 or .120. I'd have to pull the tank down to know for sure.

Vince@Meanstreets
09-08-2013, 07:49 PM
That's cool John, thank you. So it feels sturdy.

parsonsj
09-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Oh yeah. And no construction crew needed to install it.

MCB Matt
09-16-2013, 01:04 PM
We sell quite a few Vaporworx / Ricks tanks, top notch product!!!

Thanks for your hard work Hector

MCB

glassman
09-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Yes you do, and i would of got it from you, but a very nice member from this here nice little forum stepped up and said, "hey mike, can i help ya out?" and i said "yes". But i do owe you a visit to pick up my Wilwood mc......

Bmf5150
09-17-2013, 02:46 AM
If u use a ricks tank in the first gen camaro, don't use the crappy sending unit they suggest , upgrade to ISS custom sending unit!!you will thank me when u don't have to re pull the tank down cause the cheap sending unit works like crap..http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff463/bmf5150/camaro/FC26940A-F43A-4944-9D6E-5B0B46F6C7DE-689-0000002C6B08A3B1_zps92983e12.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff463/bmf5150/camaro/37D0C62F-35C9-4124-87DD-CE61AAFE0D55-689-0000002C7B06DFD3_zps4c96b2d3.jpg

glassman
09-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Well, i cant get mine to work right with my VHx dakota set up...sux, might have to pull the tank to change it....

glassman
09-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Ha! got it! the friggen sending unit needing to "clock" the sending unit, the float was hitting the side wall.....now just need to vent it to allow it to fill it up all the way......Texas road trip friday, hurry up and finish this beotch....

Revved
09-26-2013, 09:58 AM
+1 for Ricks... I've probably used at least a dozen of Rick's tanks.

Our Chevelle feature vehicle we just finished has a Rick's Stainless tank in it...

http://www.lateral-g.net/members/revved/

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv328/RevvedAC/RicksTankedit_zps7908d7ae.jpg

Sounds like you already have your tank in but for future reference having them trim the front corners of the tank are a big plus for adding 3" exhaust on over axle stuff.

The majority of the G.T. 500 E's I deal with have them as well. They do weigh a ton but for visual effect on a high end build I don't know how you would beat them.

Erratic senders have been an issue in the past. I jrecieved this tank from them yesterday with a new- new style sender I've never seen before so we'll see how this one works out!
http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv328/RevvedAC/Baker/DSCN9291_zpsfc6e5472.jpg

glassman
09-26-2013, 10:03 PM
My front corners are clipped.

But now i cant get more than 8 gallons in it ...
WTF?

Any body ever have this problem?

And i'm leaving for Texas on this good-guys road trip in the morning....eff

glassman
09-27-2013, 08:54 AM
And I have it vented from the bung too the charcoal canister...

Revved
09-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Not sure how you have your filler routed but if you have any type of tube make sure it travels downhill... sounds commonsense but you would be surprised how often people overlook this. Make sure you have a vent- which it sounds like you do.

If you are still having problems when you hit DFW give me a call and I can take a look at it.

-Sean

817 403 8565

Gambit
12-28-2013, 04:49 PM
My front corners are clipped.

But now i cant get more than 8 gallons in it ...
WTF?

Any body ever have this problem?

And i'm leaving for Texas on this good-guys road trip in the morning....eff

Did you get it sorted? How much fuel is it meant to hold?

glassman
12-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Yeah. Forgot bout this thread.

They (Ricks) installed/fabbed the filler tube too deep, it almost touched the bottom of the tank. David Pozzi actually discovered this problem as others couldnt seem to figure it out.

Hector at Ricks was very good about it. I bought the tank second hand, although it was still new in box, they "warrantied" it for me. Takes, i believe, 18 gallons now....

Now if i can just figure out the sending unit.....????? It wont work with my Dakota Digital VHx set up....

6t9 camaro
01-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Any luck with your sending unit working with the vhx gauges? As I'm in the exact same situation!

glassman
01-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Any luck with your sending unit working with the vhx gauges? As I'm in the exact same situation!

Not yet, once i get the car back from Custom Works, thats the first order of biz. I think it may be the VDO sending unit????????

Gambit
01-14-2014, 12:55 AM
Not yet, once i get the car back from Custom Works, thats the first order of biz. I think it may be the VDO sending unit????????

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I'm looking at getting one of these tanks & have these gauges still to fit to my car. Hopefully it's an easy fix for you