PDA

View Full Version : More manual brake trouble

JB64CHEVELLE
08-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Hey guys, I just put on CPP front and rear disk brakes and I am having issues with them. The brakes are sticking when I go in reverse and only seem to do it in reverse not forward. I have not contacted CPP yet just looking for pointers to see if I may have done something wrong as there instruction sheets leave a lot to be desired.
BRAKE SYSTEM- cpp 13" front the new corvette spindle kit. Rear is CPP 12" kit with e-brake. The E-brake is not connected yet. Master is from my Baer brakes kit from another car and I believe it is 1" bore. I am using a wildwood adj. proportioning valve. All lines are 1/8" stainless. This is all on a 64 EL camino.
Let me know your thoughts:thankyou:

67goatman455
08-10-2013, 05:13 PM
is there a return spring on the parking brake? when going backward maybe it grabs it and locks it up?

Sieg
08-10-2013, 05:41 PM
I'd also look at the e-brakes first, not being connected may allow them to ride on the drum and grab when reversing.

GregWeld
08-10-2013, 08:32 PM
I hope that was a typo and you're running 3/16" brake lines and not 1/8th...

Easy test is to get the car back up in the air and rotate the tire/wheel with the car in neutral and LISTEN for any sounds such as a brake shoe dragging... and also to see if you can rotate the tire/wheel in reverse and feel / hear where the drag is.

My guess would also be to start at the parking brake system.... they need to be adjusted REGARDLESS.... Not sure you know how to do that? If you don't just post up and we'll walk you thru it.

The other thing you need to look for -- and listen for - is CALIPER to WHEEL clearance. It may be the inside of the wheel is catching on or rubbing on the caliper.

JB64CHEVELLE
08-11-2013, 12:41 AM
Thanks.. yes that was a typo LoL I should read things over 5 times before I hit post. The rear disk have no drum shoes for the e-brake like a wildwood they use the same pads for brake and e-brake and appear to be a ford caliper adapted for universal GM applications. I will look at the E- brake system first then move on from there.
Oh and Mr. Weld it's got INTRO'S I've heard you love them:D Thanks for your tips :thumbsup:

GregWeld
08-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Oh and Mr. Weld it's got INTRO'S I've heard you love them:D Thanks for your tips :thumbsup:

I don't even remember when we started on the whole "Intro" comments. Something / someone made a comment --- and then it just started like these things do. Then when someone mentions it - you chuckle to yourself remembering the original "laugh". I personally have nothing against Intros... or any other wheel - although I seem to have a natural attraction to Weld Racing... :lol:

JB64CHEVELLE
08-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Well guys you were correct on my brake trouble. I connected the E-brake and got it adjusted and bingo no more trouble. Just goes to show you don't be in such a hurry to drive it and finish it properly the first time.