PDA

View Full Version : LQ advice

IndyNova
08-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Hey guys, I picked up an 2000 lq9 6.0 and 4l80 trans the other day for my 69 nova. Here's my question: the car will be 99% street driven with the occasional auto cross/road course. I'd like to cam it and put an ls6 intake on it, and possibly a turbo or two(mild boost) A): what would be a good cam for this
B): is there a better alternative for intake than an ls6, and will the lq9 throttle body suffice, or do I need to look at buying one of these also. I'm a noob at these motors, so any help is appreciated

Jgpclone
08-06-2013, 07:45 PM
You sir have a lq4 no lq9 was made I'm that year they started producing them late 2002 for the 2003 models like escalades Denali and Silverado Ss .anyways ls6 is the superior intake that gm made for a 3bolt tb there so many variables of intake u can use .my suggestion for a turbo street build ls9 head gasket arp head stud ls6 intake high volume gas pump and 60lbs injector lq4 motors compression are good for boost in less u but a cheap 4.8 that loves boost .proven 1000 hp on stock bottom with a ls9 head gasket and arp head studs but that's just my opinion

jazz2069
08-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Does your motor have iron heads? It should if the year is correct.

IndyNova
08-10-2013, 04:48 AM
Yes it's an iron headed motor, I wish it was had aluminum heads..lol

WSSix
08-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Then swap them for aluminum heads. You can go with 317s milled down to raise compression or go with LS6/243 heads if you want. I'd go with some inexpensive ported LS6 heads if you're trying to keep costs down. Texas Speed offers a good budget LS6 ported head. LS6 intake is a great idea. You'll need the steam tubes too I believe. LQ throttle body will fit the LS6 intake.

Did you get the PCM with the engine?

jwcarguy
08-11-2013, 09:38 PM
If you do swap to the "common" 6.0L #317 cyl heads and are planning on boosting it, DO NOT mill them down to raise your compression

The 317 heads have very similar intake and exhaust runners as the "LS6" #243 / and #799 cyl heads with D shaped exhaust ports

The big difference is the combustion chamber volume:
#243/799 cyl. heads - 64.5cc
#317 cyl. heads - 71cc

You should have a cam "spec'd" for you by a reputable professional ( ie Pat G or SpinMonster) and/or find someone with the same build that did

The cam is basically the "brain" of the engine, so you want what is going to work for your given application (vehicle specs), driving intentions, etc

If and when you get to that point, I usually have sets of the #317 heads and LS6 intakes (both bare and complete with rails and injectors)

As mentioned before, use the LS9 head gaskets and ARP studs

You have to decide exactly what you want to do, then buy your parts, since most are going to be specific to the "type" of build that you do (ie. N/A, Boost, nitrous, etc)

You will be fine with the stock TB, should have it ported and polished (again, by a professional) any larger TB would be a waste, since the TB opening on the LS6 is the same size, unless you setup to a FAST intake 90-92mm for approx. more than double the cost of a used LS6 intake without "double" the hp gains

Hope this helps, Jeff

IndyNova
08-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Thank you for the advice! I do have the stock ecu that came from the truck, but it has been suggested that I buy a camaro one. Any thoughts? Jeff, I'll send you a pm on the heads/intake. Also, who does the throttle body work? Thanks again for all the help!!

jwcarguy
08-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Thank you for the advice! I do have the stock ecu that came from the truck, but it has been suggested that I buy a camaro one. Any thoughts? Jeff, I'll send you a pm on the heads/intake. Also, who does the throttle body work? Thanks again for all the help!!

That old of a pcm, you should be fine for what you are going to do (street car)
Maybe someone with better "tuning" experience can chime in, if I amd incorrect
The older pcm's will support both a cable style TB "DBC" and a Drive by wire "DBW" TB it has the drivers for it

I do know that a lot of "tuners" recommend the #411 / #896 pcm's but be careful, some the S10 trucks came with that pcm and a tune will be with a v-6 VIN #, so you would have to have a V-8 VIN # loaded into it
I had that happen to a pcm that I sent to Texas Speed for a Mail Order Tune, the guy that I did the LS swap for in his long travel sand rail, was on a budget, and couldn't do the $550+ for the chassis dyno tune (which is better) the pcm that he got with his engine that was supposed to be from a Z28, was actually from a Oldsmobile Bravada V6
So Texas Speed had to go to a Chevy dealer and have a V8 Vin "loaded" into it

As for the porting/ polishing of the TB, I use Potz Speed and Performance in Jacksonville, Florida, but there are a lot of other businesses out there too

Jeff

gnx7
08-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Brian Tooley Racing (ex cylinder head guru for TEA (Total Engine Airflow) can custom grind you a cam for around $400. He knows what he is doing and doesn't do it as a part time gig like some of the others.

Dump those iron heads and shed some weight. If you can get e85 easily than get the compression up to around 10:1 for boost. If you don't plan to run boost.... 91 octane will support 11:1 to 11.5:1 safely and 93 octane can do 12:1. Compression is essentially free power.

5.3 heads are the smallest production chambers; however have smaller intake valves. New Manley oversize s/s valves are only about $120/set plus machine work.

If you don't care how it looks... and have the hood clearance... the truck intake recently went 8.30's@164mph on a stock 6.0 shortblock in a Nova with a turbo. He did this at 3,000ft DA, on his 2nd pass ever I believe, and has more left in the 60' time and also the turbo can be cranked up a bit too. At sea level with better 60' time dare I say it may go high 7's?

Your motor has LS1 style rods good to about 600rwhp before they bend. The newer style LS2 rods can handle around 900rwhp or so before they bend. LS9 gaskets and head studs with enuf fuel and a good tune.... and you are good to go!

http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1665013-76mm-street-nova-runs-8-39-163-75-mph-4.html

WSSix
08-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Good catch on not milling the 317's as I mentioned, Jeff. I forgot he talked about boosting the engine when replying.

You can load a Fbody program onto that PCM. No need to physically change the PCM out for another one. You'll want to stay cable actuated on the throttle body though. Going over to drive by wire requires another module for the go pedal and just adds unnecessary complications I think.

PTAddict
08-12-2013, 09:03 PM
You can load a Fbody program onto that PCM. No need to physically change the PCM out for another one. You'll want to stay cable actuated on the throttle body though. Going over to drive by wire requires another module for the go pedal and just adds unnecessary complications I think.

If the trans is a 4l80e, you can't just load an F Body tune and have it work. You'd need to get a "segment swap" done to an F Body tune in order to control the 4l80. But, although I'm not familiar with the differences with truck ECU, I don't offhand see any particular reason why you'd be better off starting with an F Body tune than the stock truck tune ... both will need extensive tuning considering the modifications proposed.

IndyNova
08-12-2013, 09:18 PM
It is a 4l80 trans, 99% of the driving will be street driving, and hopefully I'll be able to auto cross it, but gotta get the eng dialed in first though..lol

Ok, so it looks like I'm headed the ls9 head gasket, head studs, ls6 intake and 317 heads and custom built cam. Since I can use the ECM than came with the motor, what options do I have on my wiring harness? I know I have to have it re-worked, but I'd really like to keep as little wiring exposed as possible, and mount the ECM I side the car.

IndyNova
08-14-2013, 01:04 PM
One thing I forgot about is the converter. I plan on doing a shift kit, but should I buy a converter also? And what stall would you guys recommend. I've actually been rethinking the turbo route at this point, not sure if that makes a difference or not