PDA

View Full Version : cage mounting and sanctioning body?

67goatman455
08-05-2013, 12:34 AM
My Honda buddy is building a road race car for time trial events and following the NASA club codes and rules (CCR) for his cage installation.

I guess first off, what rules should i go by? To be honest with myself, i will love to be driving this on the street, and driving it to events, not a trailer queen. I dont for see a whole lot of actual RACING against people, wheel-to-wheel. Would be nice to run in as many events as i could that are brought up on this site and HPDE events.

that aside, NASA rules seem to state to mount the cage to the floor via a plate or plinth (box). No where that i could find did it say to run the cage to the frame itself. if i need to do that, i would probably go through the painful process of bolting the cage to mounting pads that are welded to the frame, so the frame and body can still be removed from each other easily.

Let me know your input!

Ron Sutton
08-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Obviously welding is the safest route. But you have a full frame car of the "perimeter" design, meaning the frame goes out wide, near the rocker panels.

If you don't want to weld it to the frame, have the 1/8" plates bolt to the frame with 4 grade 8 bolts 3/8" or larger ... and weld the roll bar to the plates.

67goatman455
08-05-2013, 07:34 PM
darn, i was hoping to not have to make through-body cage stands. thats going to make things difficult