PDA

View Full Version : Tips for 1-man removal of wheel adapter lug bolts manually

BANKO
07-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Hey Guys, I often need to ask for a helper to activate the brake pedal while I manually brake loose the lug nuts on my front wheel adapters. Just wondering if there is an easier way to do this by one person without using an impact wrench? The Kore3 aluminum hubs I'm using have threaded ARP studs, per the instructions these should only be loosed by hand.

Ppd1979
07-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Get a dowel to push against the brake pedal and go against the steering wheel or seat to hold down the brake pedal down, causing to apply the brakes.
Or use a gas pedal depressor tool and use it to hold the brake pedal down.

Rick Dorion
07-30-2013, 05:53 AM
Wrap a towel or something around a long pry bar or similiar item to protect threads. You can put it through some opposing studs and have it wedge against the floor, locking it. Doing this I can torque or remove the adapter lugs by myself.

T_Raven
07-31-2013, 09:27 PM
I have a little chisel I always use to hold rotors in place when I torque axle nuts or whatever other reason I need hold the rotor in place. I stick it in the vent holes in the middle of the rotor and let it rest on the caliper bracket. Much easier than using something to press the pedal.

Apogee
08-01-2013, 10:29 AM
I have a little chisel I always use to hold rotors in place when I torque axle nuts or whatever other reason I need hold the rotor in place. I stick it in the vent holes in the middle of the rotor and let it rest on the caliper bracket. Much easier than using something to press the pedal.

Line-locks/roll controls work well for one-man installation and removal of wheel adapters without using an impact wrench.

Tobin
KORE3

BANKO
08-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I figured out a simple solution yesterday thanks to provisions in my RideTech dropped spindles and Tobin's Kore3 hubs. Used a 6" 3/8" extension, slid it through the spindle and the staggered holes in the hub. The clearance in the hub is so small and it since it a cylinder, it is holding through the hub, not just at the outer edge. No damage to the hub tight adapters w/o and assistant.