PDA

View Full Version : What do you all think of this deal?

cwylie
07-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Think its a decent price for this engine? I have the guy down to $3200. I feel like it should have made more power which makes me a little nervous but it could have been crappy tuning.

370 block with ls3 heads and custom cam. Made 460whp/421 trq on a dynojet dyno to the wheels (510hp or so at the crank) Has right at 8k miles on it.

Block
Ly6 iron block gen4
Forged .03 over wiseco pistons +4 cc (11.2:1)
Oem rods
Oem crank
Ls7 lifters
Ls3 valley tray(not pictured)
Adjustable timing chain
Arp bolts in cam gear
235/244 .621/612. 112+2 cam
24x crank wheel
High pressure melling oil pump
Rings were gapped for 150shot when built. Motor has never seen spray.

Heads: 823 castings (ls3)
All new ls3 valves
.650 dual valve spring with titanium retainers
Comp hardened pushrods 7.450" .80 wall
Oem mls head gaskets
Arp head bolts

Comes with BER ported ls3 intake manifold (cost 450$)
Conversion harness for gen 3 cars/trucks
42lb ls3 injectors

Ron Sutton
07-19-2013, 09:08 AM
500+ hp, in a modern engine package ... good internals ... low miles ... for $3200 complete with injectors ... uh ... Heck yeah! :thumbsup:

Oh, wait a minute ... :headscratch:

No ... now that I think about it ... it's not really a good deal after all. :sarcasm_smiley:

Tell ya what ... just give me the guys name & number & I'll call him for you & tell him you don't want it.
:rofl: :lmao:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I found a cool new engine for my project. :excited: :dance:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously, it's a great deal & if it fits your needs you should buy it without beating the guy up anymore. :cheers:

camcojb
07-19-2013, 09:15 AM
I think it's a great deal.

Z06vette
07-19-2013, 01:35 PM
ya thats a no-brainer. Power seems about right. Lots of variables when it comes to rwhp. I'd snag it.

214Chevy
07-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Did you really even need confirmation on this? LOL!! :computer:

Rybar
07-20-2013, 09:15 PM
That's a fantastic deal with heads, intake, cam, harness and injectors.

jwcarguy
07-21-2013, 10:16 AM
There are a lot of other things to factor in on this deal

I didn't mention, nor are they in the pics

1) Does it include the oil pan w/ pickup, dipstick & tube ( if so, which one?, will it fit your car?)
2) Does it include the valve covers and coil pack set w/ wires?

3) you mentioned the guy said he has a "conversion harness", this is a very broad statement ie. is it a stock truck harness (that came on the LY6) that has been modified for a stand alone setup, or is it a aftermarket purpose / specific built harness?

Which pcm? you have a gen 4 block & timing cover/ cam sprocket, but a gen 3 crank (24X wheel) You may need both a knock sensor/s extension harness and a cam sensor extension harness ?? (gen 3 to 4)

the truck harnesses "exit" the engine off the front drivers side, where as the "LS" car and aftermarket are the "cleaner" looking/ routing exiting the back of the intake

4) is the DBW throttle body included as pictured, is that what you planned on using, or a DBC style need the pedal / harness assembly if going DBW

5) Are there any of the front drive accessories with it? (ie balancer, alternator, p/s pump, water pump, tensioner/ idler pulleys, etc)
If so, which ones? truck (LY6), F-Body or Y-Body

6)Also, who spec'd that cam and what were the specifics/ application for it? You said that he built it to "spray it" ?
that cam is geared more for mid to topend
How do you plan on using this engine? A DD, street car w/ some track days, or track car??
Auto or manual trans? (auto is going to require a stall convertor)

There may be some power "left on the table" also, due to that cam having approx. 15.5 degrees of overlap, which much higher than desirable using the LS3 heads, usually like to see 4-7 degrees of overlap (I may be a bit off on the math with the +2 degrees ground in)
It makes it more difficult to tune

Did he tell you if the heads were milled at all? ( given that the pushrods are .050" oversize (stock is 7.400")and still using the stock MLS head gaskets (.053")

And the question that I haven't seen asked yet, is:

Why is it for sale, if only 8k miles on it?

Hope this helps

Jeff

cwylie
07-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Its just the long block and intake. No rockers, oil pan, pickup, or ecu and wiring harness. He said he took it out to put an LS7 in the car.

jwcarguy
07-22-2013, 06:44 PM
The "Parts needed" list keeps growing

-"LS3" rocker arm kit $230 (new)
- Comp cams trunion upgrade (recommended) $125
- conversion oil pan kit $400+
- pcm and standalone harness $700-$1,400
- LS3 valve covers $75+ (used)
- LS2/3/7 coil pack setup $180 (used)
- front accessory drive kit $525+ (GM)- $2,500 (aftermarket billet??)
- etc.$
- etc $

You can see where this could get much more expensive, by the time you actually get it to run

Sorry to sound negative, but you asked for our opinions, "what do you all think of this deal??

Just letting another member know the associated costs involved

Hope it helps, Jeff

cwylie
07-23-2013, 07:49 AM
No those were my same thoughts as well so I appreciate the feedback.