PDA

View Full Version : LS1 or LS2?

350ZNV
04-18-2006, 05:29 PM
So I have been debating between swapping an LS1 or an LS2 into my '70 Chevelle. Either one I choose will get a Magnacharger roots type blower on it for an extra kick. By looking at the prices, the LS2 is not that much more expensive than the LS1 out of the box, so why does everybody go LS1? Is there a lot more hastle when installing the LS2? Can the T-56 hook up to either one? So far I am leaning towards the LS2, but then again, I have just started my research.

Teetoe_Jones
04-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Mike-
The reason you see a bunch of LS1 swaps is they are plentiful, and don't have to be purchased in the crate. You can find a pull out LSX/T56 combo for less than that of a crate LS2. I'd recommend starting with the LS2 crate for your project.

Tyler

350ZNV
04-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Mike-
The reason you see a bunch of LS1 swaps is they are plentiful, and don't have to be purchased in the crate. You can find a pull out LSX/T56 combo for less than that of a crate LS2. I'd recommend starting with the LS2 crate for your project.

Tyler

I am thinking the same Tyler. I know that I would be much more comfortable with a new engine as opposed to a used one and seeing as the LS2 is only like $600 more than the LS1, I think I want to go with the LS2. Now get back to work on my car :D j/k.

Damn True
04-18-2006, 06:29 PM
The thing that terrifies me about pullouts is this.
First if it's a wrecked car, you can never know how the engine was maintained prior to the wreck.

Second, if a guy is yanking a low mile motor from a Camaro or Vette it's probably because he wants A LOT more power. Which means he found the pullout motor a bit lacking. How hard was he driving the thing before he realized that 400hp was not enough?

Mean 69
04-18-2006, 10:44 PM
I spoke with at least three Speed GT teams during the recent Long Beach GP that use the LS2 based engine (including Lou G's team, Dreisy's team and at least one other) and they all stated that the engine block is sound to the RPM levels they are using (well over 7k, but not super duper high). Granted, the rotating assemblies are swapped for full boogie forged race cranks/rods/pistons, but the block is a blueprinted (per "their" specs) GM piece. Pretty impressive.

Me? LS2, new rotating assembly, ported heads, dry sump for the shop 70 Camaro project. Oh, and please get out of my way quickly, I'll be coming through fast. It's not a UFO in your mirror, I'll be moving faster than that.

M

chuntington
04-19-2006, 06:51 AM
so where do you guys recomend getting your LS1/2 creat engines from??

are theyready to run or just the engine??

Thanks Chris.

shanekennedy
04-19-2006, 07:22 AM
if you're buying new crate engine, it's about $600 more to go w/ ls2

the difference being, you'll need a pcm/harness & a cable driven throttle body or either a drive-by-wire pedal w/ the ls2

Steve1968LS2
04-19-2006, 10:18 AM

Thanks Chris.

Well if you want an LS2 crate motor then get it from a big shop like www.SDPC2000.com (Scoggin Diggy (sp?)

For $5500 you get the motor, heads, coils, waterpump, intake, knock sensors, plugs and wires, TB.. you will need the accessory brackets, starter, PS pump, MAF, ECU and wiring harness. For those I would go to www.smcperformance.com best prices on this stuff around.

If you want an LS1 you can save a bundle by getting a salvaged motor. I got my LS1/4L60e combo (with most of the accesories) for $2800 from a local salvage yard.

shanekennedy
04-20-2006, 07:07 AM

Thanks Chris.

ready to run @ http://www.turnkeyenginesupply.com/

Damn True
04-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Jeff Schwartz is also doing turn key LSx motors and his prices are within a few bucks of turnkeyenginesupply.com

Diognes56
05-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Definitely go with the LS2 :D .

David