PDA

View Full Version : Wilwood Thermlock Caliper Pistons?

BANKO
07-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Has anyone run these in their Wilwood Calipers? Just wondering if there is any appreciable improvement to use these over the standard Wilwood caliper pistons?

http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/Flyers/fl77.pdf

One disadvantage is the smaller piston area (4.04in^2 (1.62in, 1.12in, 1.12in) vs. 5.40 in^2 (1.75in, 1.38in, 1.38in)) in the W6A 6 piston caliper.

Apogee
07-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Has anyone run these in their Wilwood Calipers? Just wondering if there is any appreciable improvement to use these over the standard Wilwood caliper pistons?

http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/Flyers/fl77.pdf

One disadvantage is the smaller piston area (4.04in^2 (1.62in, 1.12in, 1.12in) vs. 5.40 in^2 (1.75in, 1.38in, 1.38in)) in the W6A 6 piston caliper.

The Thermlock pistons are a great upgrade if you intend to run motorsport compound pads with relatively high max temp ratings. I'm familiar with a few applications locally that have been able to eliminate their brake fluid recirculation systems just by upgrading to Thermlock pistons and not have issues with boiling their fluid. The rigid piston design doesn't have any of the compressibility issues associated with other types of insulator pads or barriers IMO.

Was there a question regarding the relative piston area of SL6 and W6A calipers and how does that pertain to Thermlock pistons?

Tobin
KORE3

BANKO
07-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks Tobin. I didn't have a question on the SL6, I'm only considering the W6A calipers. I plan on running the PolyMatrix H pads and think I'd like the additonal clamping force the larger pistons provide. I already use the EXP 600 fluid. I was hoping to get some real world feedback, I suspect the W6A w/o Thermlock pistons will be fine for what I plan to do with my car.

Ron Sutton
07-11-2013, 09:44 PM
You didn't state your goals or driving situations.

We find the same results that Tobin outlined & a big benefit for running road courses or any driving situation where you're braking hard & often ... over long periods of time.

No need for them in AutoX, because you're done in 30-60 seconds.

BANKO
07-12-2013, 12:37 AM
Hey Ron, thanks for the question. I'd like to have a braking system that holds up the rigors of high speed road course track events. I plan on primarily running ASCS, GG Auto-x, and the occasional track day at some of the great tracks in Nor-Cal.

I'm going to get a Wilwood kit for the front and swap my Z06 6 Pistons to the rear, eliminating my current drum setup. I have manual brakes with the Wilwood 6.25:1 pedal and the following master cylinders: 3/4" front, 7/8" rear

Seems like these have a great benefit for sustained hi-temp situations. Not sure if the extra ~$640 is worth it while I'm still sorting our my entire system.