PDA

View Full Version : Any reason to NOT run 14" brakes?

The T-man
07-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Just about ready finally pull the trigger on my front / rear brakes

Looking at 14" rotors,
figuring if I'm spending the $, why not go big.

Any reason to not go big, as in 14" ?

yea I know 15"/a6" is the new 14" but I am running 18" rims not 19" or 20":)

Bryce
07-09-2013, 10:31 AM
extra weight and diminishing returns.

Apogee
07-09-2013, 12:22 PM
As Bryce stated, running more brake than you need means packing around a bunch of unnecessary unsprung and rotational weight, the worst kind with respect to performance and handling. That said, if you're trying a build a car that can do any and everything, including 20-30 minute track sessions on street compound pads, then that extra rotor mass can make all the difference in the world. Aside from the obvious aesthetic advantages of the larger brakes, you need to decide what's important to you and where you rank your priorities.

Tobin
KORE3

Vince@Meanstreets
07-09-2013, 02:46 PM
price too. people tend to forget rotors are a wear item, more so if drilled.

Thats why I always recommend a production set like late model Corvette. You can find parts everywhere.

Dipped
07-10-2013, 04:37 PM
I completely agree with Tobin. However, I decided to go form over function and go 14" all the way around with 24 pistons. It looks evil but I'm sure the weight is a performance robbing issue but oh well.

Juggernaut
07-10-2013, 07:16 PM
price too. people tend to forget rotors are a wear item, more so if drilled.

Thats why I always recommend a production set like late model Corvette. You can find parts everywhere.
I hadn't really considered that. No pro-touring car in my garage (no garage, either), but that is something very important for me to consider for the future!
I completely agree with Tobin. I decided to go form over function and go 14" all the way around with 24 pistons. It looks evil but I'm sure the weight is a performance robbing issue but oh well.
hahaha :D

Vortech404
07-10-2013, 07:25 PM
If you have the wheels to fit 14" brakes that's the route I would go.
Nothing looks more weird than 19" wheels and 8" brakes. :)

I don't consider the weight performance robbing. I consider 60-0 performance also. :)

John