PDA

View Full Version : Wheels & Tires, what should I do next?

69onmymind
04-15-2006, 02:51 AM
Fellow Lateral-g-men, I'm new to this site and to the pro-touring world but I'm giving it a try. I have a 69 Camaro, which I've been working on for 9 yrs. and I'm finally reaching the finish line. Right now, it's being wired up from bumper to bumper and should be home soon. So far, it has been painted and the following items have been installed: 383 stroker, 700R4 tranny with drive line, Moser 12 bolt rearend with 3:73 gears and posi, electric fuel pump, alum. radiator with dual fans, March pulley system, Holley 750 Double Pumper Carb, mild cam, MSD 6AL ignition box and distributor, Hooker Super Comp headers, and more. The list goes on and on; you get the picture. All I have left to do is install the master cylinder, front grill, and interior (seats are done, but I need to lay the Dynomat and carpet), install B & M Pro Stick on the floor, wheels/tires, and add fluids all the way around.

My question is, what should I do next? When the car comes home next week. I'd like to get the car running, especially since the engine has been sitting basically for approximately 5 years. The good thing is it was broken in before it sat and I turned it by hand occasionally to keep things somewhat wet. Right now, I have some old beat up rally roller wheels on it, but I want to get some 16" rallys to just roll around in to get the car moving. These rallys would be a temporary thing until I get my Bonspeed 5 spoke Malibu wheels in 17s or 18s. In regards to the rallys, do I have to worry about backspacing (bs) right now to order these? If so, how do you measure backspacing? Any good ideas or sites that explain how to measure bs? Another member mentioned to me that Eastwood had a fender roller for $249 that I can use to roll the inner wheel well lips on my rear quaters to maximize my wheel width size. Any ideas or feedback on this item? See attached link for item description: http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=6159&iSubCat=508&iMainCat=504&pid=6159. Ross Dorn's 69 looks great and I'm looking for some rallys like his for now. Does anyone know his username and/or e-mail?

I welcome all comments and as soon as I figure out how to attach some pics, I will.

Thanks,
Joe

Speedster
04-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Fellow Lateral-g-men, I'm new to this site and to the pro-touring world but I'm giving it a try. I have a 69 Camaro, which I've been working on for 9 yrs. and I'm finally reaching the finish line. Right now, it's being wired up from bumper to bumper and should be home soon. So far, it has been painted and the following items have been installed: 383 stroker, 700R4 tranny with drive line, Moser 12 bolt rearend with 3:73 gears and posi, electric fuel pump, alum. radiator with dual fans, March pulley system, Holley 750 Double Pumper Carb, mild cam, MSD 6AL ignition box and distributor, Hooker Super Comp headers, and more. The list goes on and on; you get the picture. All I have left to do is install the master cylinder, front grill, and interior (seats are done, but I need to lay the Dynomat and carpet), install B & M Pro Stick on the floor, wheels/tires, and add fluids all the way around.

My question is, what should I do next? When the car comes home next week. I'd like to get the car running, especially since the engine has been sitting basically for approximately 5 years. The good thing is it was broken in before it sat and I turned it by hand occasionally to keep things somewhat wet. Right now, I have some old beat up rally roller wheels on it, but I want to get some 16" rallys to just roll around in to get the car moving. These rallys would be a temporary thing until I get my Bonspeed 5 spoke Malibu wheels in 17s or 18s. In regards to the rallys, do I have to worry about backspacing (bs) right now to order these? If so, how do you measure backspacing? Any good ideas or sites that explain how to measure bs? Another member mentioned to me that Eastwood had a fender roller for $249 that I can use to roll the inner wheel well lips on my rear quaters to maximize my wheel width size. Any ideas or feedback on this item? See attached link for item description: http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=6159&iSubCat=508&iMainCat=504&pid=6159. Ross Dorn's 69 looks great and I'm looking for some rallys like his for now. Does anyone know his username and/or e-mail?

I welcome all comments and as soon as I figure out how to attach some pics, I will.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe -
With regards to fender rolling, DON'T BUY ONE ! I just rented one from rollyourfender.com. David rents them for $50 with a $300 refundable deposit. The unit he sent me was in great condition. He gives you 5 days and supplies a FedEx return label (I think round trip shipping is about $24) He was very nice to work with and I recommend him highly. He also put the deposit money back immediately. A true car enthusiast. Tell him Bruce sent ya.

camcojb
04-15-2006, 10:08 AM
I sent Ross an e-mail of this thread. I own one of those fender rollers, works good. It is something that if you can rent is not a bad way to go. It's not something that gets used a lot.

Jody

hapevo
04-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Hey Joe,

My email is [email protected].

Thanks,

Ross

69onmymind
04-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks, Bruce. You saved me some moola! I most certainly will let David know you recommended me. Was your car painted when you attempted this job? How did it turn out? Did the paint crack on you?

Joe

Joe -
With regards to fender rolling, DON'T BUY ONE ! I just rented one from rollyourfender.com. David rents them for $50 with a $300 refundable deposit. The unit he sent me was in great condition. He gives you 5 days and supplies a FedEx return label (I think round trip shipping is about $24) He was very nice to work with and I recommend him highly. He also put the deposit money back immediately. A true car enthusiast. Tell him Bruce sent ya.

69onmymind
04-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Thanks, Jody. I'll get with Ross soon as I see he received the e-mail and has already sent me his address.

Joe

I sent Ross an e-mail of this thread. I own one of those fender rollers, works good. It is something that if you can rent is not a bad way to go. It's not something that gets used a lot.

Jody