PDA

View Full Version : What's it worth?

DBasher
06-16-2013, 06:19 PM
My great uncle passed years ago and this monster has moved from one garage to the next, really cool but not really needed. I'm trying to get my dad to let this go to a friend that has the room and would actually use it. I have other parts for it, full set of bullnose fingers as well as the handles and what not.

Where do I go to find out the value of this extremely heavy floor holder downer?

:cheers:
Dan

coolwelder62
06-17-2013, 07:37 AM
I just bought one very similar.Paid $1250.00

clill
06-17-2013, 08:53 AM
I have a friend that pics that stuff up at scrap prices. Find out how much it weighs and find out what scrap is selling for. That will give you a base on what to ask for it.

CRCRFT78
06-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Check out MetalMeet.com or AllMetalShaping.com. Those guys will be able to help.

GregWeld
06-17-2013, 03:16 PM
Dan --- It's a nice looking old machine... the problem is the weight --- it would cost more than it's worth to ship... so it has to go to someone that is local. The good news is it's weight -- which as Charley pointed out -- might make it valuable just from a scrap value point of view. Personally I'd hate to see it go to waste like that... So it's a tough call. We see it as a nice old machine -- others see it as a big ole heavy POS... my guess is -- it's worth the same either way.

Sieg
06-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Here's an eBay search, one somewhat similar:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Manufacturing-Metalworking-/11804/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=sheet+metal+brake&_sop=16

DBasher
06-20-2013, 01:14 AM
SCRAP! Ya I couldn't do that. I have a scrapper in the neighborhood that I've "saved" a few things from. 1960 Morris Minor and a mid teens Franklin frame that was used as a skid for a saw mill. I sold it all off except for a Walker "roll-a-car" jack that I think is pre 36.
The fella I sold the Morris to was going to paint his cabin address on it and stick it at the end of his driveway, pretty funny.

I think for now I'll clean it up and move it out of the way. My buddy wants the shear as well and I know that's not going anywhere.

3M pad and some degreaser is what I'm thinking, any other ideas for cleaning?

:cheers:
Dan

coolwelder62
06-29-2013, 09:26 PM
If I was closer I would take it.But shipping would cost an arm and a leg.