PDA

View Full Version : Radiator install in 69 camaro?

snappytravis
06-11-2013, 10:40 PM
I received my new radiator last week for my 69 Camaro, Decided to go with the C&R Racing setup, It looks like most guys are just bolting to rad support solid, and even with the top of the support. Just curious if there is any suggestions or things I need to check out before install, or just drill some holes and mount it. Man I hate to even drill holes in this thing,,
Thanks Travis

IMPALA MAN
06-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Bolting the radiator solid is usually a bad idea. Use some rubber bushings or something to absorb any vibration, shock, etc. You just don't want the radiator to twist in any way. This will eventually work the brazing loose that bonds the tubes to the tank sides. Just my 2 cents worth. I hate to see a fellow member ruin a good radiator just because of the mounts. I would do the logical....check with the manufacturer of the radiator. In this case I think there are rubber mounts that mount the radiator support to the frame. I think this should suffice. However, I would still ask C&R to see what they designed the radiator to do....and not do.

Vince@Meanstreets
06-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Most aftermarket radiators for Camaros are like that. I haven't had any issues...the hoses do much of the flexing.

If you do want to use the bottom saddle mount and top cap run a radiator spec't for a 69-72 Nova.

Flash68
06-12-2013, 12:14 PM
I have the C&R radiator and have been advised by them and others to use some rubber. Here is an email they sent me on the topic:

-----------
What you don’t want to happen is the radiator to become a weight bearing structural part of the car. Hard bolting it in would make the radiator flex with the car and allow no place for the radiator to expand/contract as it heats and cools. These issues will shorten the life of the radiator and lead to tubes breaking away from the header sheet and you get a leak that is hard to repair. Rubber grommet mounts are one method to give the radiator a way to expand. We use pin mounts with grommets on some radiators but if yours bolts directly to the core support, you can HARD bolt one side but on the other either OVER SIZE the holes you’re bolting through, SLOT them to allow for expansion or use a rubber grommet. All will allow the radiator to move as it needs to. If you have any further questions give me a shout.
-----------

dcrider69
09-25-2013, 09:43 AM
I thought they were solid mounted from the factory? Why fix what ain't broke?

chr2002ca
09-25-2013, 10:26 AM
I believe 'stock mounts' for a '69 radiator use rubber 'well' nuts, which expand into holes of the core support as you tighten them.

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/product/19143/Camaro-Radiator-mounting-hardware-kit-1967-1968-1969/

The 2 different aftermarket radiators I've had mounted this same way also.

dcrider69
09-25-2013, 12:06 PM
I believe 'stock mounts' for a '69 radiator use rubber 'well' nuts, which expand into holes of the core support as you tighten them.

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/product/19143/Camaro-Radiator-mounting-hardware-kit-1967-1968-1969/

The 2 different aftermarket radiators I've had mounted this same way also.

Correct, and this method is what I have always used also. But those little guys cant offer too much room for twisting/movement.

clill
09-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Use some type of rubber so stuff can flex etc. Especially on a car that has stiffer suspension and might get worked hard on a track etc.

jovozx12
11-12-2013, 11:14 PM
I would prefer to always rubber mount if possible but not radiators are rubber mounted. My jeep is hard mounted from the factory. Rubber mount is nice but not mandatory.

Bryan O
06-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Hey Travis. Post a picture of your radiator install if you can. Thanks.

Musclerodz
06-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Factory mounted them solid on right side and used rubber well nuts on the drivers side.

ErikLS2
06-14-2014, 09:50 PM
Check out the grommets used on a Lexus GX 470 radiator, any year. You would have to weld a short piece of tubing to the mounting flange of the radiator to put the grommets in and they are big, like 1.75" in dia. probably, but 4 will certainly do the job, it's what I plan on doing with mine. There are cheaper ways but they're super slick and ready to go.

jlwdvm
07-16-2014, 11:35 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to mount my C&R in my 69 firebird too. They must use the term "bolt in" pretty loosely I think. None of the bolt holes seem to line up with holes in the core support. I think I am going to have to cut and modify the core support to open it up so the rad sees all the air it needs. Mine came with 2 sets of the rubber nuts and bolts. Did you get yours mounted yet?

Vince@Meanstreets
07-16-2014, 02:02 PM
you will have to line up the holes that do then re-drill the others.

TheJDMan
07-16-2014, 07:50 PM
I used these rubber mounts from mcmaster-carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#vibration-damping-sandwich-mounts/=sv9thk

waynieZ
08-07-2014, 10:08 PM
I was told that NAPA sells the well nuts.