PDA

View Full Version : zr-1 wheels

68protouring454
02-14-2005, 02:45 PM
can you run these wheels safely, at high speed? i am pretty sure you need vette brakes spacers to run them, was wondering what you guys thought, i am looking at the 17x11 and 17x9.5 for my car, just cause of the price, and the red witch looks pretty badass, but i do like a few budniks
they are
17x11 with 7-7/8 bs 237 bucks with shipping ea
17x9.5 with 7-5/16 bs is what they come with, 212 with shipping ea.
jake

Pro T Mustang
02-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Well I dont know what you mean by "High speeds",are they real GM ZR-1 wheels?? If so you should be able to run them as fast as a ZR-1 would go. If they are replicas well take your chances on high speeds like The Silver State. I would want a wheel made for that purpose..........

68protouring454
02-15-2005, 06:12 AM
sorry, to run these on a first gen you need to run vette brakes spacers on the rear, or widen the rear end due to the bs they have, the fronts also need spacers, i am concearned about the spacers, my car will be a street car but hope to go to a few track days a year
jake

will69camaro
02-15-2005, 08:22 AM
I would like to know as well. I really like the idea of putting a Vette wheel on my camaro (i'm thinking Z06) but i dont like the idea of having a spacer.

William

Pro T Mustang
02-16-2005, 05:19 PM
On any street car spacers are fine as long as they are hubcentric and billet and not thick.I would think that not over 1" thick would be ok,I would add stronger studs/lugs to.

Keith
02-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Well, don't confuse spacers with adapters either. You can run a larger backspacing using adapters on a street car and be fine. Here is a company that'll make whatever size you need....safely, of course. :)
http://www.skulte.com/adapters.html

will69camaro
02-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Will the adapters be fine for enough of a change to run a Z06 wheel in front? Can i even find a Z06 wheel thin enough to put in the front of my 69 camaro? I'd think that with the weight of the car supported so far away from the spindle it would be a problem...

William

Keith
02-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Will the adapters be fine for enough of a change to run a Z06 wheel in front? Can i even find a Z06 wheel thin enough to put in the front of my 69 camaro? I'd think that with the weight of the car supported so far away from the spindle it would be a problem...

William

Actually, I think with the adapters it doesn't matter as much because the force is evenly dispursed among the spindle/adapter from the wheel...plus a good susp. setup will transfer weight efficiently as well. I plan on running adapters and get one-g out of the Chevelle..... mine are going to be about 2" for the C5 rims we're running....I have faith....maybe...sorta...okay, I'm going to make some phone calls! :willy:

will69camaro
02-17-2005, 01:19 AM
LOL let me know what the phone calls say! I asked Larry off pro-touring a question about them i'm curious about as well. I'm wanting the Z06 wheels which will require a significant adapter as well. Say there is a 2 inch spacer (for lack of me having the time or energy at this point to work it out), will it look silly behind the wheel to have that much space before the brake?

Thanks,
William

P.S. I understand about the adapter dispursing the weight transfer across the hub but wouldn't it still have an increased load applied on each lug? I'm not positive as i havn't hit that point in my engineering education yet but it is based on what i've already and currently studying.

Keith
02-17-2005, 01:41 AM
LOL let me know what the phone calls say! I asked Larry off pro-touring a question about them i'm curious about as well. I'm wanting the Z06 wheels which will require a significant adapter as well. Say there is a 2 inch spacer (for lack of me having the time or energy at this point to work it out), will it look silly behind the wheel to have that much space before the brake?

Thanks,
William

P.S. I understand about the adapter dispursing the weight transfer across the hub but wouldn't it still have an increased load applied on each lug? I'm not positive as i havn't hit that point in my engineering education yet but it is based on what i've already and currently studying.

Use grade 8 and put on your seat belt? :D
I'll let everyone know what I find out unless someone here already knows and wants to enlighten us....

zbugger
02-17-2005, 01:52 AM
There's quite a few guys runnning with adapters on their cars. Check out www.racehome.com and look at Tony's car. He's got some 'Vette wheels on it, and he's run it on a track just fine. Get the one's from Vette Brakes. I'm thinking about putting Z06 wheels on my car too. My neighbor is running some on the front of his '65 Mustang. He's running a set of '00 Mustang GT "Bullitt" style wheels. He hasn't had any problems.

The adapters bolt to your stock studs. It's kinda like bolting on a set of wheels. Just as strong. The wheels then bolt to the adapters, which have new studs installed. You really shouldn't have much to worry about running them.

Edit: Check it out here. http://www.racehome.com/techwheelfit.htm

68protouring454
02-17-2005, 08:52 AM
yes i found out the same, as long as theyare billet and have grade 8 or better studs, you will be ready to go, vette brakes sells them, but skulte custom makes them so you can get the exact wheel fit you want, where as vette brakes only sells a few sizes
jake

will69camaro
02-17-2005, 10:19 AM
What about the looking silly part? I spoke with Larry from Pro-Touring and he agreed that it would look kinda funny having alot of space behind the wheel before the brake. Might just be me but i think it would. I'm getting a new rear so i can just have it cut to the right length for the offset.

Any idea on what the magnesium Z06 wheels cost? (the ones off the Lemans edition?)

William

zbugger
02-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Why would you talk to Larry? Hee hee... Yeah, it would look a little silly, but look at Tony's car and tell me it look silly. I don't think it does. I think it looks good the way it is. As long as it works, I say it's fine.

69MyWay
02-19-2005, 04:06 AM
How about the new guy tries to help out here?

I work very close with VB&P. They use my vette on most of their magazine print ads. I worked with them and Tony Huntimer to get the right BS for my 1st gen Camaro with C5 wheels.

The ZR1 wheel is 11" in the rear and is going to give you a fit on a stock rear wheel house. You can fit the C5 wheels, but it is super tight. You want to run a 2" in the front and a 2.5" in the rear. In my case I had the 9" built with the 2.5" on each side added so no rear spacer needed.

Here is what the spacer on the front looks like. I think it actually looks very natural behind the rim once it is all bolted up:

http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com/files/C5_caliper_installed.JPG

http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com/files/c5_wheels_and_sub.JPG

68protouring454
02-19-2005, 02:50 PM
thanks for the inof
my car is mini tubbed 2.75 inches like dse, i am waiting on installing crossmember tilli decide on rear suspension.
so the 17x11 will be no problem, its just deciding if i want to run them or not, if i do i will run the spacers so if i want to change wheels i do not have to narrow my rearend, thanks for all the help and the project looks great
jake

Pro T Mustang
02-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Spacer blends in very well I think. :thumbsup:

68protouring454
02-19-2005, 04:56 PM
they do blend in well, and they do not look funny at all
jake

chicane
02-22-2005, 11:40 PM
One recommendation.........

If you, or anyone for that matter, wants to run the mentioned spacers.......I would recommend that you remove the 'press in studs' and install some screw in type fastners......more along the lines of 1/2".

You will find, that after awhile, the knurl interfearence will fail in the aluminum and you will not have the best time getting your wheel/s off.

I have heard from a bunch of people that they say, "Well, I have never had a problem". My answer is, "You will".

It will not only destroy the spacer, but you will damage your wheel, no question about it.

Just ask Tito-Jones. Also ask him about having to removed the axle from the housing and what it takes to get the wheel off from there.......and imagine, he was lucky and still had drum brakes on that peticular chassis. With disk's.......add about 8 hours.

Just a little FYI

68protouring454
02-23-2005, 06:11 AM
good info, makes sense to me, if i go zr-1 route i will have that done
jake

69MyWay
02-23-2005, 08:27 AM
One recommendation.........

If you, or anyone for that matter, wants to run the mentioned spacers.......I would recommend that you remove the 'press in studs' and install some screw in type fastners......more along the lines of 1/2".

You will find, that after awhile, the knurl interfearence will fail in the aluminum and you will not have the best time getting your wheel/s off.

I have heard from a bunch of people that they say, "Well, I have never had a problem". My answer is, "You will".

It will not only destroy the spacer, but you will damage your wheel, no question about it.

Just ask Tito-Jones. Also ask him about having to removed the axle from the housing and what it takes to get the wheel off from there.......and imagine, he was lucky and still had drum brakes on that peticular chassis. With disk's.......add about 8 hours.

Just a little FYI

Makes sense. However, I can tell you we had a set on the front of a 1985 Vette to allow the 88-96 offset for a set of ZR rims for about 8 years. The car got pounded hard on a regular basis. The wheels and spacers came off just fine the last time I messed with it.

The instructions are very specific about the amount of torque applied to the lug nuts. My guess would be Tito-Jones might have applied a little extra torque that may have caused the stud to pull in too deep, then spin out.

chicane
02-23-2005, 10:57 PM
My guess would be Tito-Jones might have applied a little extra torque that may have caused the stud to pull in too deep, then spin out.

Actually not......and not for the others, either. I have had, and have seen a few problem's with this VB product specifically, over the the past 14 years from when they first came out with them. It has always been a "tooling and component tolerence" issue that is eaisly overlooked.

Some are lucky, and some are not.

I am not bashing VB at all.....I have been dealing with VBP since the late 80's (back in the days of 813) and their dealing with any issue has always gotten top priority to find the fix and make sure the customer was taken care of beyond what anyone could imagine. I dont want to scare anyone away from using this product, but, you can make it a whole lot more durable for the life of your car for a few dollars and an hours worth of time.

:cool:

69MyWay
02-24-2005, 10:22 AM
:thumbsup: