PDA

View Full Version : Driving Impressions: 21st Century Subframe

Payton King
02-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Hey!

Got to drive the test mule for 21st century C5 subframe and it was absolutley outstanding. Go to pro-touring to see my brief write up as I am pressed for time today to rewrite everything. I will check back from time to time to answer any questions.

Payton

68protouring454
02-14-2005, 08:46 AM
sounds awesome, just copy what you wrote and paste here.
we need all the specs of the suspension and some pics!!!
jake

camcojb
02-14-2005, 09:33 AM
This is copied off his Pro Touring post:

"Hi All!

Well, I got to drive the test mule for 21st Century's C5 sub frame. It is a 68 Convertible Camaro with their design subframe connectors and C5 subframe. Basically they put the car back together and took it to the alignment shop and then I drove the car. There has been no tweaking on the car what-so-ever.

IT WAS AMAZING! The part of the expierence that I was not prepared for was the ride quality. I would have guessed it to be stiff, but not so. I would say that it rides better than a C5 vette. The steering is lightning fast. I tried to push the car but my common sense got the better of me. I am riding around in the country going down 2 lane roads where the posted speed is 35 mph and I am doing 75 mph trying to get an idea of the car at the limit and I could not even get the tires to howl. Same two lane road and I take my hand off the wheel about 65 mph and the car tracks straight and true. This is also the case over any road irregularities as well...very stable package. Easy to drive fast.

Ed called me later in the day and had gone to a local school parking lot, hooked up a "G-Tech" and proceded to rip off a .92 on about a 70 ft circle. Again this with no tuning or tweaking of any kind running normal Goodyear rubber. 245/45/17 and 275/40/17.

Needless to say, I am very excited. I took a leap of faith after speaking with Ed and Jim and I am happy that I did. When you take someone that is use to designing race cars that run 200 mph and have them design a subframe for a 1st gen car, you can bet that it has the goods to exceed any expectations that you have. I am confident with testing, tuning, some sticky tires and this subframe in on a coupe that pulling close to 1 g will be possible. I also know that there is more to a good handling car than a skid pad figure and this car has the entire package. I get to drive a lot of cool cars as I am an insurance agent and my policyholders know that I am into cars so if they get something new I get to drive it. So this rave review comes from someone that has recently driven a 360 Modena, Bentley GT, AWD twin turbo 911 and a Mallet Z06. If you have any questions, lt them fly."

Payton

Thanks for the info Payton, sounds like a very nice setup! :thumbsup:

Jody

907rs
02-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Nice write up, Payton. You've got to be the coolest insurance guy I know! :D

Payton King
02-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Let me guess...I am the only one you know? Ha ha

How long is the driving season in Alaska? 1.5 days? My dad lives in Clear and my Uncle lives off of Kodiak.

Thanks for posting my write up Jody! Are you going to have you car done in time for the power tour?

Edward Bednar
02-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the glowing report. True specs will come after a day at the track. One of the neat things was that when we were having it aligned that our plan to allow anyone to be able to bolt the suspension on, set the eccentrics at their midpoint and set toe and then drive over for the alignment should work very well. The jig that Jim built put tolerances so close as to be off about .05 degrees on camber and only about a .5 degrees on caster from what we were shooting for. I had to comment to Jim "damn your good give yourself a pat on the back". I'll take the blame for the .5 derees on caster as I made last minute changes constantly on him. We've got alot of adjustability built in so there is alot of tuning to do yet. We'll keep you posted. Thanks Ed

c.schulz
02-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Payton,
You go boy.Some of the best dollars you have spent so far??I may have to make a trip to charlotte this summer. :D
Chris

907rs
02-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Can't wait to see the proven numbers, Ed. That's something I wish more of the aftermarket would do with their products. :thumbsup:

Let me guess...I am the only one you know? Ha ha

How long is the driving season in Alaska? 1.5 days? My dad lives in Clear and my Uncle lives off of Kodiak.

Payton, the weather here in Anchorage is actually pretty mild, it isn't as extreme as Clear or as volatile as Kodiak, so we get about 3 months or so of good driving weather.

By the way, I just returned from Denali National park, which is just south of Clear, and all I can say is that I feel for your dad! :D

Payton King
02-14-2005, 11:44 AM
yea Chris...best dollars spent so far! I know they are going to develope one for the 2nd gen as well. Better get that body done and order one up. If you come down in october we can go to a race as well.

Clear is pretty cold. In the middle of winter he can open the door and throw a glass of water in the air and it will freeze before it hits the ground. I will stay in Charlotte.

Edward Bednar
02-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Chris we may be in Mi. for dreamcruise.Woodward was my old stomping grounds as I grew up in Royal Oak. My youngest son is determined to get up there for the event.I still have family there, my brother lives a block off Woodward, so my son has been exposed to some of the cruising going on there on Sat. nights when we've been visiting. If we can catch up with you then you can take er for a spin.Payton's right about the 2nd gen version. Shouldn't be too long. Ed

XcYZ
02-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Ed, do you think I could take a turn at the wheel of your test mule? :unibrow: :)

Edward Bednar
02-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Absolutely, Scott. You may not recall but you were given the first invite a long time ago. Ed

XcYZ
02-14-2005, 01:06 PM
I sure do. :thumbsup: Payton's review sounds great, and the Lateral-g hard numbers are a nice addition. Have you scaled your test mule? I was curious what it weighs and what the front/rear percentages are.

68protouring454
02-14-2005, 01:07 PM
sounds like scott is gonna be buying a c5 frame, that is if it lives up to the hype, i bet it does,
scott let us know what your thoughts are on it.
pricing???
jake

Edward Bednar
02-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Haven't scaled it yet.Setup was just a seat of the pants guess. All that yet to follow. Got alot going on at the shop.I'll make sure everythingis posted crystal clear when I have specifics.I'll forward some pics to Scott since everyone seems to be requesting them. Additionally I'd like to let everyone know that I added Greg Pettigrew to our team at 21st CSM. Greg is Jim's brother and is every bit to paint and body what Jim is to fabrication. This I believes elevates us to some rarefied air in the custom fabrication and hot rod business. The test mule is exactly that a test mule and not a show car so please keep all this in mind when evaluating pics.You'll get a real good look at what we can do when Conrade's car hits the streets with one of Greg's paint jobs and Jim, Chris,Steve, and Ken's fab work underneath.No dissappointments.Ed

XcYZ
02-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Not a problem, Ed. I was just curious on the weight distribution.

If you guys would like to see a picture of the 21st CSM test mule, click here (http://www.lateral-g.net/products/21stCenturyStreetMachines/3745647-r1-007-2.jpg).

There are also quite a few pictures of the subframe here (http://www.lateral-g.net/products/21stCenturyStreetMachines/).

c.schulz
02-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Ed, hope to meet ya for the cruise.Its one hot week full of cars and cruisers.Send me a PM on some costs of the pieces of your frame.I probably can come up with the C5 parts.I do know some people that know some people.
Chris

jonny51
02-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Nice work Ed,good luck with everything :thumbsup:

XcYZ
02-17-2005, 02:33 PM
If you guys would like to see more of the 21stCSM test mule, click here (http://www.lateral-g.net/products/21stCenturyStreetMachines/).

One of the test mule pictures here (http://www.lateral-g.net/products/21stCenturyStreetMachines/21stcsm%203.jpg)

70ptta
02-17-2005, 05:56 PM
whats the price looking like for this c5 frame.

Payton King
02-18-2005, 08:12 AM
Just the frame is $2500. You will need their steering arms, modified sway bar and modified rack...bring it to about $3700. Then you will need to source your C5 stuff.

check out their website