PDA

View Full Version : T56 vs TKO600 Wich one is better ?

Bowtieracing
04-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Can somebody tell what are the differences between TKO-600 and T56 transmissions?

Mkelcy
04-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Can somebody tell what are the differences between TKO-600 and T56 transmissions?
Not to go all C-C on you, but there is a ton of information available by simply doing a search here and at Pro-touring.com. You could also visit the Tremec site for this information as well: http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/tremec.asp

Steve1968LS2
04-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Since I am sitting here waiting for a phone call..

TK0600 -- 5 speed with the 5th gear being overdrive.

K56 -- 6 speed with the 5th and 6th gears being overdive (double overdrive)

The main reason the T56 came to be was because car companies needed to get better milage to meet CAFE standards. The double overdrive (6th gear being .50) allowed high performance cars like the C5 and 4th gen f-bodies to get up to 27mpg on the highway. If you get a T56 get the 6th gear in something like .68 since the .50 is almost useless.

The TKo600 is exactly the same as the TKo500 with the exception of a slight difference in ratio and one part (can't remember which one) that makes it technically a wee-bit stronger than the TKO500. Most people get confused and think the TKO500 is a five speed and the TKO600 is a six speed when in truth they are both almost identicle.

If you are not making huge power and don't require the double overdrive then I would go with the TKO500 and save some cash. If you can afford the difference then upgrade to the TKO600. I would reccomend Classic-Chevy-5-Speed for the TKO stuff and if you decide you want the T56 I would suggest American Touring Specialties (ATS).

Oh, some feel that the T56 is bit more smooth in its shifting.

ProdigyCustoms
04-09-2006, 02:02 PM
I like a TKO. The TKO will go almost anywhere a 4 speed will fit. The T56 requires more fitting.

Bowtieracing
04-09-2006, 02:34 PM
The TKo600 is exactly the same as the TKo500 with the exception of a slight difference in ratio and one part (can't remember which one) that makes it technically a wee-bit stronger than the TKO500. Most people get confused and think the TKO500 is a five speed and the TKO600 is a six speed when in truth they are both almost identicle.

Oh, some feel that the T56 is bit more smooth in its shifting.

Thank you Steve!!! Just the right info !! I was sure at TKO600 was 6 speed. And since i got T56 allready i was just wondering did i made right choise.

rocketman
04-10-2006, 01:05 AM
i put a tko in my 69 vette because i couldn't find a viper t56,i wish i would have waited,the tko is ok,but i prefer a t-56,checkout d&d performance they built the t56 in my 94 z-28 and its awesome

ProStreet R/T
04-10-2006, 01:11 AM
You know a lot of people think the .50 OD is useless but it's actually a pretty handy gear to have. I don't use it often, but if I take the viper to vegas, or on long fwy drives it's nice to have. But you do generally need big block torque to turn it (depending on the tire/gears of course)

At the same time it allows you to run some nasty track gears and still be able to comfortably drive the car.

One thing with the T56, 5th and 6th gear are not super strong so it's a bad idea to do wide open pulls in them if you have a strong car.

mazspeed
04-12-2006, 03:01 PM
You know a lot of people think the .50 OD is useless but it's actually a pretty handy gear to have. I don't use it often, but if I take the viper to vegas, or on long fwy drives it's nice to have. But you do generally need big block torque to turn it (depending on the tire/gears of course)

At the same time it allows you to run some nasty track gears and still be able to comfortably drive the car.

One thing with the T56, 5th and 6th gear are not super strong so it's a bad idea to do wide open pulls in them if you have a strong car.

Rockland rebuilds these for stronger gears in 5th and 6th as well as the others. Also different gear combos. The T56 can be built to be a bad ass tranny, but it takes money. Bang for the buck nothing beats a TKO600.

ProStreet R/T
04-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Rockland rebuilds these for stronger gears in 5th and 6th as well as the others. Also different gear combos. The T56 can be built to be a bad ass tranny, but it takes money. Bang for the buck nothing beats a TKO600.

Yes, as does G-force and quite a few others. It all depends on what your perception of "strong" is. 1-4th on a T56 done right is exceptionally strong but those OD gears just don't like it. Thats one reason why all the fast Vipers run 2.73 gears so they can trap 170+ in 4th. 1500ft/lbs in 5th just rips them apart :lol: As was seen at Maxton, they turned the boost up (the 219mph run was on 12psi) and it let go as soon as they shifted to 5th.

Sheesh, what does it take to get someone to build a flippin trans that will hold 2k hp, run 240mph, and a decent OD you can drive on the street :willy:

Yeah ok thats a bit extreme, and the T56 will hold up to 99.999% of what people throw at them. But that .001% does tear them to pieces from time to time. I'll say one thing, they put up a good fight. When one lets go it does so in a most spactacular fashion.

rocketman
04-14-2006, 03:28 PM
i can tell you i wouldnt buy another tko,its ok i'm not having any problems with it,i prefer the t-56 a little more money but a good built t-56 is the way to go.

white79bu
04-14-2006, 08:37 PM
I have a t56 in my Malibu. I am running a 4:10 gear with a 26" tire. I have the .50 6th gear and my car runs around 2000 rpm at 75mph. I love it. I don't use that gear unless on the freeway but it comes in handy beause you can run with the flow of traffic.

Steve1968LS2
04-14-2006, 08:48 PM
I like a TKO. The TKO will go almost anywhere a 4 speed will fit. The T56 requires more fitting.

This is true.. I had to replace the tunnel on Penny to fit in a T56.. not the case with a TKO..

Damn True
04-17-2006, 09:51 AM
What is the weight difference between a TKO-600 and T-56?

Blown353
04-17-2006, 02:15 PM
What is the weight difference between a TKO-600 and T-56?
According to TTC the TKO is 105 lbs, T56 is 108-137 lbs depending on what version you have.

One thing not to forget for guys who do high speed stuff... the .50 OD in the T56 means most people run really short rear gears with it to make 6th gear useful-- however the short rear end gears translate into high driveshaft RPM's which not only shortens u-joint life but also means you'll hit the critical speed of the driveshaft at a much lower vehicle speed. Exceeding the driveshaft's critical speed is a VERY dangerous thing as the driveline can literally "jumprope" itself out from under the car if you spin it too fast. This is something you definately want to verify before you do any high-speed blasts.

Troy

71Nova
04-19-2006, 07:22 AM
I got a used T56 for my nova from a 97 z28. Switched from a T350. having 6 gears is SO much better then 3. I love it except it sometimes jumps out of 3rd gear. Knowing the previous owner it got beat up pretty bad in its previous life. I know the Z28 got totaled in 2000 by going about 130 and smacking the divider with the driver side of the car. I bought the t56 for $800, and am using an ATS install kit with a mcloud master. I am looking for a good rebuilder right now. Someone that is farmiliar with t56's so they can do some upgrades.

Damn True
04-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the modified t-56 packages from Rockland standard gear?

Further, what is their pricing like? There is no referance to such on their website.

Teetoe_Jones
04-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the modified t-56 packages from Rockland standard gear?

Further, what is their pricing like? There is no referance to such on their website.

All of our modded T56's come from rockland Standard Gear. We are a dealer for them. My new stock units come directly from Tremec.

Tyler

Damn True
04-28-2006, 01:29 PM
All of our modded T56's come from rockland Standard Gear. We are a dealer for them. My new stock units come directly from Tremec.

Tyler

Cool, so what is their pricing like? There is no referance to such on their website.

Elusive R
04-28-2006, 02:03 PM
I got a used T56 for my nova from a 97 z28. Switched from a T350. having 6 gears is SO much better then 3. I love it except it sometimes jumps out of 3rd gear. Knowing the previous owner it got beat up pretty bad in its previous life. I know the Z28 got totaled in 2000 by going about 130 and smacking the divider with the driver side of the car. I bought the t56 for $800, and am using an ATS install kit with a mcloud master. I am looking for a good rebuilder right now. Someone that is farmiliar with t56's so they can do some upgrades.

If you feel somewhat mechanically inclined, they're really not too bad to rebuild on your own. Let me know and I can dig up a link on the rebuild. Even if you end up doing it 3 times, it's probably cheaper than paying someone else and you'll forever know what to do.

Ryan

projekt70chevelle
04-28-2006, 05:10 PM
If you feel somewhat mechanically inclined, they're really not too bad to rebuild on your own. Let me know and I can dig up a link on the rebuild. Even if you end up doing it 3 times, it's probably cheaper than paying someone else and you'll forever know what to do.

Ryan

Start Digging :D

Elusive R
04-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Ok, here is the link I found a long time ago (didn't have my bookmarks at work earlier):

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1877

The pictures used to load up into the guy's posts and I saved the whole file (and all the pictures) for viewing offline - makes it real easy to check and see what's supposed to go where. You can also go to Tremec's site and download the assembly manual for free.

If anyone is interested, I can try to email the complete file or maybe someone can host the download - I don't have any webspace right now.
Ryan