PDA

View Full Version : Carbed LS376/515 HP

paulk68
03-25-2013, 06:39 AM
Hey Guys, I am considering this motor for my 1968 camaro. Trying to see if anyone has run this and what there thoughts are. Also what is involved in swapping this into a 68 camaro? From what i have been reading adding the FI adds some extra steps but what about the carbed version. Thank you
Paul

GregWeld
03-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Hey Guys, I am considering this motor for my 1968 camaro. Trying to see if anyone has run this and what there thoughts are. Also what is involved in swapping this into a 68 camaro? From what i have been reading adding the FI adds some extra steps but what about the carbed version. Thank you
Paul

Super simple swap - and all parts are readily available.... You'll have to add an electric fuel pump... LS motors don't have fuel pumps. And if you want to run coil on plug then you need a controller.... Edelbrock has a complete kit for you already set up.

You'd LOVE the carbed version of this motor.... although it's really built to be blown... and is a bit low on the compression side of things - it would work perfectly with todays crappy pump gas.

XLexusTech
03-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Super simple swap - and all parts are readily available.... You'll have to add an electric fuel pump... LS motors don't have fuel pumps. And if you want to run coil on plug then you need a controller.... Edelbrock has a complete kit for you already set up.

You'd LOVE the carbed version of this motor.... although it's really built to be blown... and is a bit low on the compression side of things - it would work perfectly with todays crappy pump gas.
Is this motor supercharger Built? I am looikng at the 480 HP version against the LSA..

GregWeld
03-25-2013, 10:13 PM
When we were deciding and ultimately ordered the LSX 376 for the '62 Impala --- I wanted the LSX 454 --- but the compression on the 376 is 9.0 vs the 11.0 of the 454 ---- and even GM Performance "advertises" the 376 as being built for supercharged or turbo'd.

Mine had a TVS 2300 blower added to it... :thumbsup:

I have the 480hp LS3 in my '33 Ford being built at Brizio's.

Plenty of motor for a little '33 highboy!

http://www.roybriziostreetrods.com/progress/weld/index.htm

Sieg
03-26-2013, 12:18 AM
This Chevrolet Performance LS 376/515 hp is 10.7:1 comp:
http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance/809/19244552/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1854477851&catargetid=1784156070&&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CMXeibnQmbYCFc5_QgodkUkAEw

paulk68
03-26-2013, 03:26 AM
This Chevrolet Performance LS 376/515 hp is 10.7:1 comp:
http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance/809/19244552/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1854477851&catargetid=1784156070&&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CMXeibnQmbYCFc5_QgodkUkAEw

Yeah that is the one i am lookingf at. Looks like a nice motor what do you think?

Sieg
03-26-2013, 07:10 AM
Yeah that is the one I am looking at. Looks like a nice motor what do you think?

Personally I'd love to have that in my car..............and I'd run the exhaust manifolds! My question would be> Do I run a Holley Ultra HP 850 or FAST EZ-EFI or a choked vac secondary carb?

515 hp is a bunch for a street car and more than adequate for a good time on the track. Hobaugh's Corvette is a good example of not needing 600 hp to be competitive. All said and done the EZ-EFI is not going to cost much more than a good carb if you factor tuning time or a competent tuner, tuning components expense, etc. Same simplicity applies to the exhaust manifolds, do you need to spend $1500 on headers for extra power vs the heat, noise, and tight clearances they create? :thumbsup:

paulk68
03-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Personally I'd love to have that in my car..............and I'd run the exhaust manifolds! My question would be> Do I run a Holley Ultra HP 850 or FAST EZ-EFI or a choked vac secondary carb?

515 hp is a bunch for a street car and more than adequate for a good time on the track. Hobaugh's Corvette is a good example of not needing 600 hp to be competitive. All said and done the EZ-EFI is not going to cost much more than a good carb if you factor tuning time or a competent tuner, tuning components expense, etc. Same simplicity applies to the exhaust manifolds, do you need to spend $1500 on headers for extra power vs the heat, noise, and tight clearances they create? :thumbsup:

It does look like a really fun engine for the street/ocassional track visit. I think for that price it actually comes with the carb if i read the directios sheet correctly

Sieg
03-26-2013, 08:18 AM
It does look like a really fun engine for the street/ocassional track visit. I think for that price it actually comes with the carb if i read the directions sheet correctlyI don't read the Jeg's listing as including a carb. Who are you considering buying it from?

I'd also review a dyno sheet to confirm the torque curve. Torque will make the biggest daily driving impression unless you spend a lot of time above 4K rpm. :D

paulk68
03-26-2013, 08:29 AM
I don't read the Jeg's listing as including a carb. Who are you considering buying it from?

I'd also review a dyno sheet to confirm the torque curve. Torque will make the biggest daily driving impression unless you spend a lot of time above 4K rpm. :D

I will call, but I found this on the instructions tab on that jegs page it also has the dyno graph. looks like around 475 for the TQ

Carburetor
GM Performance Parts Carburetor part number 19201993 is included with the LS376/515 crate engine. This is a
Holley 4160-style 770 cfm carburetor and features dual feed, center hung float bowls, vacuum secondaries and
automatic electric choke. Instructions and specifications are included in the carburetor package

Sieg
03-26-2013, 08:35 AM
I will call, but I found this on the instructions tab on that jegs page it also has the dyno graph. looks like around 475 for the TQ

Carburetor
GM Performance Parts Carburetor part number 19201993 is included with the LS376/515 crate engine. This is a
Holley 4160-style 770 cfm carburetor and features dual feed, center hung float bowls, vacuum secondaries and
automatic electric choke. Instructions and specifications are included in the carburetor package

Completely missed those............embarrassed!

This may be an issue:
User Note: The GM Performance Parts LS 376/520 crate engine (19171225) comes equipped with the LS “ASA”
Cam (12480110) which is an aggressive high performance camshaft that may cause slight surging below 2500 rpm
under light load. This should be considered a normal functioning occurrence given the aggressive nature of the LS
ASA Cam. This surging can be avoided by increasing either the rpm or throttle of the engine at the same given
velocity. Under full throttle usage, you should not experience any surging when using the GMPP ignition control
system (19171130) and the recommended LS376/515 calibration.

That is just above cruising rpm for my car.......

paulk68
03-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Completely missed those............embarrassed!

This may be an issue:
User Note: The GM Performance Parts LS 376/520 crate engine (19171225) comes equipped with the LS “ASA”
Cam (12480110) which is an aggressive high performance camshaft that may cause slight surging below 2500 rpm
under light load. This should be considered a normal functioning occurrence given the aggressive nature of the LS
ASA Cam. This surging can be avoided by increasing either the rpm or throttle of the engine at the same given
velocity. Under full throttle usage, you should not experience any surging when using the GMPP ignition control
system (19171130) and the recommended LS376/515 calibration.

That is just above cruising rpm for my car.......

HMMM that is a concern i wonder if anyone else that has actually used this engine can chime in. I wanted to run a 5 speed to keep the RPM's low for high way cruising.

paulk68
04-12-2013, 08:46 AM
sending this back up to see if anyone has used this motor?

ken carpenter
05-13-2013, 09:52 PM
I have this engine in my 67 Camaro - Very streetable! The LS control module has 6 preset timing curves and also the option to hook it up to a computer and make your own custom curve. It performs as advertised... I run 12" drag radials and it will burn them down...

GregWeld
05-16-2013, 10:24 AM
HMMM that is a concern i wonder if anyone else that has actually used this engine can chime in. I wanted to run a 5 speed to keep the RPM's low for high way cruising.

Change your tire size or rear gear ratio.... if you experience too much surging and can't stand it.

And the surging was in light load.... That would then depend on what a light load is -- i.e., the weight of your car etc...

protour73
06-09-2013, 12:40 PM

Carburetor
automatic electric choke. Instructions and specifications are included in the carburetor packageThat sounds like a Holley Street Avenger :hairpullout:

Bowtieracing
06-10-2013, 02:06 PM

I agree, i am considering ths for my 59 vette with RS600 and 3.73 gear.