PDA

View Full Version : 4L80e shifter in the First Gen Camaro?

LIL QIK
04-04-2006, 12:54 PM
What shifter are you guys running with the 4l80e tranny in the first gen Camaro's? I was told that the strokes are different than the 700's and 200's so those shifters wouldn't be able to be used. I want to run the 4L80e and paddle shifter.....but still need a manual shifter otherwise. Anyone got the info?

Thanks.......Dave

Efi69Cam
04-04-2006, 02:42 PM
What shifter are you guys running with the 4l80e tranny in the first gen Camaro's? I was told that the strokes are different than the 700's and 200's so those shifters wouldn't be able to be used. I want to run the 4L80e and paddle shifter.....but still need a manual shifter otherwise. Anyone got the info?

Thanks.......Dave

I used a shiftworks kit on my original shifter. The detents matched the plate, so I don't think there is anything weird in there.

Steve Chryssos
04-04-2006, 03:02 PM
What's up Dave. I never met an aftermarket shifter that I like. But this one has me reaching for my wallet:

http://www.artcarr.com/storm.cfm?funnelaction=10&ProductID=7099

Art Carr seems to be the only company that sells shifters with specific gate patterns. The website is terrible and the shifter looks kinda bulky. But I'll bet it works awesome.

If you have a console car, then Shiftworks is a great idea. With the paddle shifter, you will never use the floor shifter for performance shifting again, so you don't need ratchet action and reverse lockout.

Ricochet
04-04-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm bought the Street Bandit Shifter from B&M. It comes with a couple different shifter plates, including one for the 4L80. I called B&M and was told it would work no problem. I'm still in the parts collecting business at this time and yet to install it, so I can't verify if it works or not. :_paranoid

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=4&cat=2&subcat=1&pid=2

LIL QIK
04-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Well I do have the console shifter and already have the 700r4 conversion for my shifter. It sounds like you guys are telling me that the conversion would work fine for the 4L80e as far as sitting in the Drive location.

Is this right?

If that's right.....then problem solved.......cause I love the way the factory shifter looks. Like street said......I'll just do all the manual shifter with the paddles.

So someone please clarify....will the conversion like the one from Shiftworks work for the 4L80e in the Park, Reverse, Nuetral and Drive positions?

Steve Chryssos
04-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Yup. Your best bet is to retain the factory shifter. Your factory shifter will only be used to get the car into gear. Throw the sucker in drive and then use the paddle shifter for all performance gear changes. Since the gear changes are 100% electronic, there is absolutely no chance of hitting reverse, neutral or park with the paddle shifter.

And nothing will shift faster--manual or auto.

LIL QIK
04-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Far out......Thanks for the help guys!