PDA

View Full Version : Help with motor mount and positioning. LS3 in 67 camaro

Isak
03-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Hello guys

Hope you can give me a direction on this problem. It looks to me like i have the wrong motor mounts, but i dont know for sure how much room i need for the engine. The oil pan looks to hang dangerouse close to the ground. Also the engine sits with just half a inc on the subframe. How much room is it supose to bee here?

Thanks for the help.

Isak
03-02-2013, 08:56 AM
sorry.. but i cant upload more than one image pr. post.

Isak
03-02-2013, 08:57 AM
motor mount. I had to add a nut as distance to get the motor to even go clear of the subframe. Now the holes for the motor mount on the subframe does not match.

Isak
03-02-2013, 08:58 AM
side view

Rybar
03-02-2013, 12:31 PM
What oil pan is that? Doesn't look like an Fbody pan. I would swap to an Autokraft or similar pan and save your self some headaches.

Isak
03-02-2013, 01:15 PM
I have this one: http://www.crateenginedepot.com/LS-Series-Muscle-Car-Oil-Pan-Kit-19212593-P10829.aspx

Z06vette
03-02-2013, 05:28 PM
That is a known problem with that pan. It hangs well below the crossmember. I know its a lot cheaper than the others that are available. But if you hit something in the road & the oils drains out... the motor could be wiped out. I would go with the mast, holly or autokraft. The holly pan will be very close to touching the crossmember, but the 3 I have used had no issues. Non of the 3 mentioned above will hang below the crossmember which is what you want. Better now than later... Scott

IMPALA MAN
03-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Please read the following link. There are TWO different height mounts. They cause notorious issues every day for the people that think the mounts are all the same. Short and simple, if the engine sets too low, so will the pan, so will the headers and literally ANYTHING that is connected to the engine. It does and will affect engine inclination, etc.
http://www.camaros.org/engine.shtml

Z06vette
03-02-2013, 05:46 PM
There are different mounts but even the tall/narrow mounts would not help the GM musclecar pan he is using. It would still hang well below the crossmember. Its just not a good fit for these cars.

00fxd
03-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Is this 19212593 pan the F body pan?

Gatekeeper
03-03-2013, 05:49 AM
This is the pan I'm going to use, cost a little more but it's a quality pan that works. I'm not sure about the which mounts to use. But I saw some on ebay that they said works with stock subframes called Dirtydingo.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/aldrichc5/Autokraft_zpse41de360.jpg

Isak
03-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

I have now ordered the mast pan since my pan is clearly to low. Guess i was a litle to quick on the trigger when i ordered the GM one.

I looks like headers run aprox as low as the tranny crossmember so the total height of the motor is fine. Its just the oil pan thats a litle in the danger zone.

Thanks again.

toddoky
03-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Another problem for you other than the pan you use is the engine/trans inclination angle showing in the photos...which my experience and eyeball judgment estimates to be somewher:popcorn2: e around 5 degrees. You should be positioning your engine and trans to acheive no more than 3.5 degress of inclination angle if you expect to achieve satisfactory U-joint working angles. The front of your engine is too high to be able to acheive that without cutting the floor to raise your transmission up in the rear. You can achieve that low of an angle in a 1st-gen LS swap T56 combo without cutting the floor only if you get the front of the motor low by using custom engine mounts and a pan with a front end profile no taller than a stock F-body pan or by notching the front crossmember to clear the pan of your choice. When the correct angle is acheived, the rear case of the T56 will barely extend below the subframe.

Isak
03-17-2013, 04:42 AM
Yes, I was looking at that my self.

I have now mounted the mast motorsport pan and it looks a little smaller, so i might come down half an inc on the subframe. Still that wont do much to the angel unless the tranny mount rises a bit. I still have some room left on the tranny, so i might change the tranny crossmember.

The car is at the paint shop so i wont be able to test this yet.

Thanks for the help.

toddoky
03-17-2013, 10:07 AM
I've done this swap myself so I can tell you that to end up with no more than 3.5" engine inclination angle, the top of your T56 is going to be positione no more than 1/4" from the tunnel sheet metal (if your car is an original floor shifted automatic you will have to drill out the nutserts on the tunnel to acheive this) and the front of your engine is going to have to come down to the point that you'll probably have to notch your front crossmember to clear the Mast pan if it is considerably taller in front than the F-body pan, which is 1-1/4" tall along the front.

The F-body pan sits about 3/4" off the front crossmember and hangs 1/2"-5/8" below it when installed with the transmission as I previously described it and the engine inclination angle is no more than 3.5 degrees. Some of the frame stand/engine plate combinations being used will also not allow the engine to come down far enough.

The 69" Z28/350 frame stands are lower than the other small block frame stands and were combined with the taller mounts by GM to acheive proper engine height...you can use these frame stands with the shorter standard mounts to acheive a lower overall engine height, or do as I do and build your own. :popcorn2:

00fxd
03-17-2013, 09:44 PM
I wish that somebody could report on the Transdapt 4575 mount plates. They call them 1" set back. All the manufacturers have plates that they call stock location. F'n liars. I don't get it. You use the 1"[?] set back plate if you want you clutch cross shaft to fit, your trans mount to be in the same place and not have to cut your drive shaft. WTF??? Years ago I found this out AFTER building my F'n headers which now caress my steering box - had to change to Dirty Dingo solid mount sliders to put the LQ4 where it was supposed to be.
The super f'n duper Scoggins Dickey BILLET "Stock Location Plates" were the one I had installed, but they all look like them [wrong].
I don't get why that is but it sure f'd me up when the body was off my mid year Corvette. :bang:

Look at this old thread: http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=104291