PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Car Road Tour !!!!!

Ed.Capen
03-01-2013, 09:59 AM
There has been some talk around Goodguys about putting together a Muscle Car Road Tour like the Rodfather tour we did last year for the pre-49 cars,

This tour would be more focused around race tracks and Muscle car shops and manufactures that we would visit along the way. Here is what we have put together so far.

Kick off the tour at the Goodguys home office in Pleasanton CA with a Lunch for everyone. We would then travel over towards Highway 1 to Monterey CA and run around Laguna Seca Raceway that afternoon. Spend the night.

The next day we would head down Highway 1 towards Paso Robles. There we would visit the Car musuem, a muscle car shop and head over to Button Willow to run around that famous race track. Spend the night in Bakersfield CA.

Leave Bakersfield head towards Lake Havasu City AZ. On the way run the track at Willow Springs or go to the GM proving Grounds. Get into Lake Havasu City AZ and head over to Premier Street Rods to see that fine facillity and have a dinner. Spend the night in Lake Havasue City AZ.

Leave the next day and head towards Phoenix AZ. There we would run around AZ Motorsports Park, Firebird Raceway, Visit Baer Brakes, See Ron Pratt's Car Colection, visit Penske Racing Musuem and head towards Globe AZ to spend the night.

Leave Globe AZ and see some of AZ's best back roads towards Gallup NM then onto Albuquerque NM to visit the Unser Musuem and a few shops before spending the night.

Leave Albuquerque NM and head toward Amarillo TX to see the Cadillac Ranch, Visit Mark Warricks fine collection of cars and a muscle car junk yard full of treasures. Spend the night in Amarillo TX.

Head south from Amarillo TX toward Fort Worth TX and spend the weekend running the AutoCross track at the Goodguys Fall Lone Star Nationals Events.

We are looking to put this together with all hotel rooms and some meals included for one price. If you think you want to be part of this or if you know a cool place along the way let me know. This will be limited to 50 cars.

It will be way cool to travel across the country with 50 muscle cars and magazine guys seeing the sites and driving around the coolest race tracks in the southwest part of the country.

We will keep you informed if we get this off and running and what the cost will be. Just pay for your gas and some meals and have the time of your life with car guys and gals just like you.

Let us know what you think.
Goodguy Ed

BANKO
03-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Hey Ed, when is the registration opening up for this fun road trip?

DEIGuy38
03-23-2013, 11:52 PM
If my car was done I would be there in a heart beat. Saw a bunch of pics from the rodfather tour and it looked like a great time.

glassman
04-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Any updates or status?, thanx, mike

BANKO
05-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Hey Ed, do you have the details finalized on this road trip yet?

pro71bird
05-13-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm interested in this depending on the dates selected.

BANKO
05-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Hey guys, the registration just opened for this, details at the below link.

https://good-guys.com/?p=5801&option=com_wordpress&Itemid=220

There are still open spots.

Ed.Capen
05-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Goodguys Road Tour Info.

Goodguys is happy to announce a special new Texas Road Tour this fall that will take rodders from Goodguys World Headquarters in Pleasanton, California to the 21st Lone Star Nationals at Texas Motor Speedway. The Goodguys Texas Road Tour blasts off from Pleasanton, CA Friday, September 27th and lands at Texas Motor Speedway Thursday, October 3rd covering 1,969 total miles. The newly built, all yellow, 525-horsepower Goodguys G/RS 1969 Camaro will pace the tour.

The all-inclusive 7-day road tour travels through California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas stopping at the Southwest’s finest rod shops, car collections, museums, race shops and more. There is a one-time entry fee of $1,500 which covers your nightly hotel, most meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and commemorative tour booklet. The entry fee also includes two tee shirts, two caps, two decals, entry to the Goodguys 21st Lone Star Nationals October 4-6 at Texas Motor Speedway and a special at-event parking area exclusive to Road Tour cars only.

Only 50 spots are available and will be sold on a first come, first serve basis! To register online for the Goodguys Texas Road Tour and view the daily itinerary, www.good-guys.com/goodguys-road-tour For questions, contact Ed Capen with Goodguys (e-mail inquiries will be answered as soon as possible) [email protected] or by phone (602) 821-3146.

Ed.Capen
06-28-2013, 09:17 AM
We have been adding stops to this tour and it is turning out to be one of the best tours that Goodguys will have done.

I will be leading the tour in the new Goodguys 69 Camaro and Kirk the Goodguys magazine editior will be along to get pictures of all the places and people.

I hope you can join the fun and come along with us.

Head over to the web site and fill out the entry form.

Goodguy Ed

GregWeld
06-29-2013, 08:50 AM
When the Briz gets the '33 finished -- so I can have a top and some A/C -- if you're running the second annual -- COUNT ME IN!!

This year - with the unreliable Steve Frisbee built '32.... not so much.

Flash68
06-29-2013, 02:06 PM
This sounds like a lot of fun.

fleetus macmullitz
06-29-2013, 05:01 PM
When the Briz gets the '33 finished -- so I can have a top and some A/C -- if you're running the second annual -- COUNT ME IN!!

This year - with the unreliable Steve Frisbee built '32.... not so much.

C'mon Greg, you've had it back long to enough to build that famed Weld dependibility back into it..

How bad could it be?

:animated_bye_bye_em

BANKO
06-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Hey Greg, why don't you cruise the nomad or mustang? It won't be the same fun without you!

GregWeld
06-29-2013, 10:55 PM
C'mon Greg, you've had it back long to enough to build that famed Weld dependibility back into it..

How bad could it be?

:animated_bye_bye_em

Actually that comment was just meant to be another well deserved mean spirited dig at a bozo.

It's completely reliable.... but with no windows and no top -- it ain't goin' on any long distance trips. I'm not that diehard.

GregWeld
06-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Hey Greg, why don't you cruise the nomad or mustang? It won't be the same fun without you!

The Mustang is a pure track car.... and the Nomad just wouldn't be that much fun to cruise in -- I've cruised it about half a bazillion miles. I'm over it. LOL

I'll just wait for the '33... although it is billed as a MUSCLE CAR TOUR... so maybe Ed wouldn't let me join anyway.

Ed.Capen
07-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Greg,
It is open for anyone, I just label it that for this forum.
You need to go, I think Kenny is going. It will be tons of fun as we keep adding stops along the way that most people can't see on their own.

Come on jump in a car and come have some fun..see the Texas event and enjoy some killer food.

Goodguy Ed

scottysimp7
07-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Looks like a great event. My gas bill would be insane!! :hairpullout:

glassman
07-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Ed, i am interested, seriously, but my LS conversion is still being sorted out, that said, if i signed up and paid and then couldn't go due to a mechanical, am i out the 1500?

Mike

BBT FAB
07-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Hey Ed,

Can you contact me I need to get more info on the tour. I am 99% sure we are going to make it with the firebird just have a few questions for you about what George said.

Thanks
Troy Gudgel
BBT Fabrications
217 378 2914

Ed.Capen
07-23-2013, 02:53 PM
As some of you may know, George Poteet said at Goodguys Columbus that he would be driving the 69 Torino that won the Goodguys Street Machine of the Year on the Goodguys Texasa Road Tour and he also said he would pay for the other four finalist to be part of the tour.
How would you like to tour the country with George Poteet and Troy in the 69 Torino along with Gooslby in the Lokar 69 Camaro, Troy from BBT Customs in the 69 Firebird and Jimmy Shaw with the Greening built 67 Nova. Well you have the chance as we have a few spot left on the tour to TX that are open.
George also offered to do this for the Street Rod finalist and it looks like Ron Cizek's 40 Ford that won the Riddler Award will be driving on this tour also.

If you want to be part of this epic tour just sign up with your payment that includes the hotels and all other entries and most meals.
www.goodguysroadtour.com

I will be leading the tour in the Goodguys 69 Camaro that RideTech is building and Gary "Goodguy" Meadors will be along for the tour in his Chrysler Convertible.

Don't miss this tour as it will be talked about for years.
Goodguy Ed

DRJDVM's '69
07-23-2013, 04:10 PM
What if you can only do the first 2 days?
I'm in Norcal and can do the stuff in Pleasanton/salinas/Bakersfield but can't do past that due to work/kids etc....

Ed.Capen
07-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Ned, You need to take some time off, away from the kids driving down the highway....sounds good huh?
We are looking for this to be the whole tour as some of the stops can only take the 50 cars and the people that we tell them for the food.
Sorry it is all the way on this tour.
Hope you can get things worked out to come along.
Ed

rwhite692
07-24-2013, 07:01 PM
The "all-or-nothing" aspect is going to limit your participants a great deal.

Why does it need to be "all-inclusive"? Why make it so complicated?

Revved
07-25-2013, 08:37 AM
The "all-or-nothing" aspect is going to limit your participants a great deal.

Why does it need to be "all-inclusive"? Why make it so complicated?

Actually that is how all high end road rallies I've been on/ seen info on are organized. They need to plan for food/ hotels/ events and such and logistics would be ridiculous if you were trying to plan 50 different itineraries. $1500 a head is actually very reasonable considering the length and events planned and cheaper than most of the other major rallies by quite a bit.

GregWeld
08-27-2013, 08:11 PM
There has been some talk around Goodguys about putting together a Muscle Car Road Tour like the Rodfather tour we did last year for the pre-49 cars,

This tour would be more focused around race tracks and Muscle car shops and manufactures that we would visit along the way. Here is what we have put together so far.

Kick off the tour at the Goodguys home office in Pleasanton CA with a Lunch for everyone. We would then travel over towards Highway 1 to Monterey CA and run around Laguna Seca Raceway that afternoon. Spend the night.

The next day we would head down Highway 1 towards Paso Robles. There we would visit the Car musuem, a muscle car shop and head over to Button Willow to run around that famous race track. Head over to Ironwork Speed & Kustom for a shop tour to see what is being built. Spend the night in Bakersfield CA.

Leave Bakersfield head towards Lake Havasu City AZ. On the way run the track at Willow Springs or go to the GM proving Grounds. Get into Lake Havasu City AZ and head over to Premier Street Rods to see that fine facillity and have a dinner. Spend the night in Lake Havasue City AZ.

Leave the next day and head towards Phoenix AZ. There we would run around AZ Motorsports Park, Firebird Raceway, Visit Baer Brakes, See Ron Pratt's Car Colection, visit Penske Racing Musuem and head towards Globe AZ to spend the night.

Leave Globe AZ and see some of AZ's best back roads towards Gallup NM then onto Albuquerque NM to visit the Unser Musuem and a few shops before spending the night.

Leave Albuquerque NM and head toward Amarillo TX to see the Cadillac Ranch, Visit Mark Warricks fine collection of cars and a muscle car junk yard full of treasures. Spend the night in Amarillo TX.

Head south from Amarillo TX toward Fort Worth TX and spend the weekend running the AutoCross track at the Goodguys Fall Lone Star Nationals Events.

We are looking to put this together with all hotel rooms and some meals included for one price. If you think you want to be part of this or if you know a cool place along the way let me know. This will be limited to 50 cars.

It will be way cool to travel across the country with 50 muscle cars and magazine guys seeing the sites and driving around the coolest race tracks in the southwest part of the country.

We will keep you informed if we get this off and running and what the cost will be. Just pay for your gas and some meals and have the time of your life with car guys and gals just like you.

Let us know what you think.
Goodguy Ed

Ed ---

Best food ever @ Rosa's Italian in Bakersfield --- and affordable -- and the owner is a hot rodder too boot!

Or have Rodger BBQ for 100 people around his own private Lake Havasu sized swimming pool!

Man I wish I could be on this tour!

Ed.Capen
08-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Greg, The tour has had some changes to where it is going. We have added a stop at John Lawson's 32 collection and we have a dinner and band playing at the Crystal Palace so some stops have changed. We added a few things in Lake Havasu as they are holding a big car show just for us and we also added the final stop at Wayne Davis place with a dinner and look at his fine collection. These tours seem to grow with stops after they are announced and out for people to see. We want to go where the best stops are.

Funny Rodger has told me twice that you were going on the tour but from your thread you are not??

GregWeld
08-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Ed --- See my post #10

I don't have a Brizio built car YET... It will be unveiled at The Grand National Roadster Show 2014

glassman
08-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Ed, are there still some spots left? my car isnt quite done but close, plus just had hand surgery so i cant work on it for a few weeks but a couple of buddies are going to help me finish, possibly by the end of next week, plus my wife and i arent doing anything for our 25th wed'n anniversary till end of oct...lemme know, thanx mike

Ed.Capen
08-31-2013, 05:54 PM
Mike, still have a few spots left. Fax the form in so I can take care of it.
Thank Ed

Ed.Capen
09-09-2013, 11:05 AM
The TX Tour will close tomorrow for registration so if you are going to be part of it please fax your form in before then. We do have a couple spots still open.
This tour looks to be a great time.
Ed

glassman
09-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Ed, i will do the last minute thing even though the car's not quite done, i'm over in dublin so i'll have somebody from my staff fax it over in the am....Mike

glassman
09-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Ed, transportation for the way back. I will not have time to drive back, any "group" transportation or are we on our own? I tried the "link" on the goodguys website on the texas road tour page and it wasnt working....so Any referall's?

thanx in advance, Mike

ProblemHouston
09-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Is this still coming through Albuquerque, NM?

Ed.Capen
09-25-2013, 11:12 AM
We will be coming to Albuquerque on 10-1 to have dinner at Mild-to-Wild Hot Rods and spend the night.
We plan on being there around 5pm.

Follow us on facebook or twitter.

Check out daily updates on www.good-guys.com

ProblemHouston
09-25-2013, 12:23 PM
We will be coming to Albuquerque on 10-1 to have dinner at Mild-to-Wild Hot Rods and spend the night.
We plan on being there around 5pm.

Follow us on facebook or twitter.

Check out daily updates on www.good-guys.com

Thank you sir I will be there with bells on!!

Ed.Capen
09-25-2013, 04:51 PM
The Texas Road Tour starts this Friday, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or the Goodguys web site. www.good-guys.com

We will be adding photo's and info as we travel across the country from northern California to Texas.

Goodguy Ed

kp.touring
09-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Ed, Thanks once more for the visit today, wish I was on the trip! What a great group of people and cars!

And Mike keep an eye on that gas gauge!

Kevin

NEW MEXICOS BEST
10-02-2013, 05:01 PM
From the photos i saw this looked like fun. ProblemHouston went but i could not make it here in Albuquerque but i did see some nice cars.