PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating

customcam
04-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Guys just wondering iv seen alot of builders Powdercoat almost the entire car other than the body! undercarriage/dash frame/interior floors/trunk etc
Is this an overkill or a good thing to do? :)

Speedster
04-02-2006, 07:29 PM
customcam-
Suspension parts and subframes are powdercoated often to resist chipping and scratching. The only parts you can powdercoat are ones that can be baked, hence you would never see body panels and floors done.

907rs
04-02-2006, 08:14 PM
http://www.lateral-g.net/poisondart/029.jpg

http://www.lateral-g.net/poisondart/021.jpg

race-rodz
04-02-2006, 08:23 PM
http://www.lateral-g.net/poisondart/029.jpg

http://www.lateral-g.net/poisondart/021.jpg

holy overkill......... thats kewl

907rs
04-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Yes, it is a bit overkill, but I like it.

If I'm not mistaken, Troy has done powdercoat on the underside of a few of his builds as well.

Speedster
04-02-2006, 09:11 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Troy has done powdercoat on the underside of a few of his builds as well.

Bill -
Is there actually an oven big enough to bake that whole car ?

awr68
04-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Bill -
Is there actually an oven big enough to bake that whole car ?

Yes, My cousin had his boat trailer done....

I have thought about having my roll bar done, it's pretty tight to the body so I thought it would be easier to do than paint and I also thought it might hold up better.

Yeah, Troy did quite a bit on Sick Fish.

Musclerodz
04-03-2006, 10:26 AM
There is an oven here in OKC big enough to park a railroad car in. Has a conveyor system in it for mass parts powdercoating.

Powdercoating is great for me because on all those items that do not get body worked or any prep besides sandblasting, it is cheaper to powdercoat than to paint and is very durable and looks good.

Mike

DRJDVM's '69
04-03-2006, 11:52 AM
All you need is a big enough oven. There are a ton of powdercoaters out there but not many that have a big enough oven to do a car, but they are out there.

Troy did the interior and undercarrage of Sick Fish.

Blown353
04-03-2006, 02:20 PM
I've got an oven big enough here at work that could easily accomodate 3 large (think Chevy B-body) cars. Unfortunately we aren't in the powdercoating business... at least during weekdays. ;)

That being said I would much rather e-coat a car than powdercoat. E-coating gets EVERYWHERE because it's dipped.

I'd also be worried about possible warping the body because of the 400F or so cure temps...

67Sally
04-03-2006, 07:25 PM

Yep. Sick Fish was powder coated (the whole unibody).
W.

syborg tt
04-04-2006, 12:22 PM
I am looking into Electrostatic coating on my project vs. Powder.

Some of the benifits is that it doesn't require an oven.

They can do it on site.

Almost the exact same strength as powder.

XcYZ
04-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Marty, how does that work if there's no oven?

907rs
04-04-2006, 12:43 PM

Scott, it works on the same premise as powder coating but actual paint comes out of the gun.

You get much less waste and better coverage. A company I used to work for had a set up. It was pretty trick.

XcYZ
04-04-2006, 12:45 PM
And it has almost the same strength/durability as powdercoating?

907rs
04-04-2006, 12:47 PM
And it has almost the same strength/durability as powdercoating?

My guess would be that it would depend on the material being applied, as you could spray just about anything that would flow through the gun.

907rs
04-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Here's a link that I found.

http://metalpainters.com/theelectrostaticprocess/

syborg tt
04-04-2006, 01:20 PM

I am going to his shop on Friday of this week. I will try to get as much info as possible.

One of the other benifits according to the guy i was talking with is you can apply it over bodywork.

customcam
04-04-2006, 04:58 PM
I've got an oven big enough here at work that could easily accomodate 3 large (think Chevy B-body) cars. Unfortunately we aren't in the powdercoating business... at least during weekdays. ;)

That being said I would much rather e-coat a car than powdercoat. E-coating gets EVERYWHERE because it's dipped.

I'd also be worried about possible warping the body because of the 400F or so cure temps...
They wouldnt put the temp that high to warp the body surely??

71Nova
04-19-2006, 02:31 AM
One of my friends told me about that stuff. I guess they had some large file cabinets done at his work. He said that it was not a powder. It was a wet paint that was atracted to the electrical charge on the metal file cabinets. They painted them right in the office without getting paint on anything else.

Payton King
04-19-2006, 09:33 AM
The put a negative charge on the metal being painted and the the paint gets a positve charge. So the paint attracts to what is being painted. The same way a refrigirator gets painted.