PDA

View Full Version : Cooling System Design Help-PRC Rad...

wellis77
02-08-2013, 06:18 AM
So I'm just about finished with my new core support and real close to ordering my radiator but looking for some feedback on the overall cooling system design. My power plant is a Gen 2 Viper V10 and when finished will put out around 550-600 HP. I am planning a PRC radiator and noticed a couple sponsors on the forum are resellers for PRC so feel free to chime in as well. I'm planning a 28" x 19" radiator, built-in shroud, and Spal fan. First question, is that enough radiator? I have to imagine it is, I believe the overall Viper rad is 29.5" x 15". Unfortunately the Viper rad is 0.5" too wide for my application...

I was talking with someone who mentioned the need for a surge tank since the top of the radiator will be lower than the top of the engine. This makes sense when looking at the Viper cooling system since the same holds true for rad to engine relation and there is no cap on the Viper rad. So where does the surge tank need to go, or how high in relation to the engine? How big does it need to be? With the surge tank, I don't need an overflow tank correct?

Single or dual fans, is one better or preferred than the other? Recommended CFM?

Shroud will need flaps to let air through, is there a recommendation for number, size, or area for flaps?

Is there anything I need to consider that I haven't mentioned? I don't want to over look something, order my custom everything and have forgotten or missed something important that renders my junk, junk. Thanks.

Musclerodz
02-08-2013, 09:12 AM
The top radiator hose needs to be higher than the cooling passages of the engine, if it is not then you need to have an air purge port on the motor at the highest point or you will have air trapped in the system and always have cooling problems.

PRC core are specific sizes so you you have to work with what they have based uping what will fit. You do not need a surge tank and overflow. Basically same just the surge will return the overflow, the other won't. It can be mounted where ever it will fit, higher the better, the outlet off the radiator is above the cap seal so as long as you do not overflow the capacity of the surge tank, it wont dump antifreeze. PRC aluminum shrouds do not have flaps, only comes on the plastic dual 11" spal unit. I have never had an issue not having them at you projects hp range. 28x19 is very close to first gen camaro rad so you may get close to being able to run dual 13" fans. I would consider running a 22lb cap, I think PRC are only 16lb which is fine, but with the low height, you could use the extra insurance by raising the boiling point temp. Make sure you left room for your bracketry in your design as well.

Denvervet
02-10-2013, 12:54 PM
You are going to want to install upper and lower rad support closeout panels to keep the heated air from just recirculating back into the front of the radiator. When car is moving not so critical but when you sit at a stoplight and it's hot outside you will get into trouble..been there done that. Big motors create big heat.

wellis77
02-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the reminder on the closeouts. I will be including close-outs on the sides and top, the bottom will receive air directly fed from the front spoiler so nothing to close there.