PDA

View Full Version : LS1 carb cam - can I run this cam, should I run this cam

jorgezee1
02-04-2013, 07:38 PM
I have a 01 ls1 t56 setup going into a 69 camaro with a 3.73 gear. GMPP intake and a speed demon 750 with a nos 150 shot carb plate.
I have a cam it's a Thunder Racing 224/224 on a 114 LSA. can I run this cam or should I not even bother?

I also have the stock 01 corvette LS1 cam and an LS6 cam.

what do you guys think. buying another cam is still an option but if I can save 400 I would like to.

WSSix
02-04-2013, 08:34 PM
It's a good mild cam that will provide a noticeable but not terrible chop at idle. The powerband will be broad and work well with the trans and gear selection. Basically, it's a good hot rod or street/strip cam. Nothing radical but worth the time especially compared to the LS6 cam.

You can always go bigger and badder. Don't get caught up in that game though. Think about your goals and desires with the car and build for that regardless of what someone else does to their engine or car. Enjoying the car and achieving your goals with it matter most.

Rybar
02-05-2013, 03:16 AM
What Trey said, it's a mild cam but will make much better power than a stock LS1 or LS6 cam.

jorgezee1
02-05-2013, 02:03 PM
thanks for your input. makes me feel better. i know a 114lsa is not optimal for a carb setup, I was just worried it would run horrible. i will give her a try.

Thanks,
Jorge

NOPANTS68
02-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Buy good pushrods and springs for this setup. they are a weak link in an LS1 with a cam swap. I would strongly reccomend some comp 7.400s and some patriot gold springs. A cam will make that engine come alive, but it will take some carb tuning. Let me know if you need help. Dave

WSSix
02-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Why would the 114 LSA not work well with a carb? The factory cam is even wider ie larger LSA number. There are also plenty of cams that are tighter. Matter of fact, most people putting cams in LSx engines go 112 or tighter. The 114 cams are typically left for people with automatic transmissions who don't want a loose converter for street driving or simply to have a more mild idle while sitting in gear.

Patriot gold springs are good springs. In my opinion though, you don't need a double spring with that cam. I'd look towards Comp Cams Beehive springs. Either choice will be fine though. Definitely get a one piece pushrod set for the engine too.

bpatrol
02-06-2013, 07:38 PM
the cam will be fine. Factory cams run about 117 I believe. And yes many run 114 lobe centers. But these are fuel injected cams. And the motor in question is a carb engine. So its apples and oranges. Carbs like 109-112 typically. Vacuum plays a part here.
however, this is a mild build and the expense of replacing the cam for a slightly better result is not worth it in my opinion.
so enjoy the cam you have.it will run well.
bpatrol

Madspeed
03-06-2013, 11:07 PM
:idea: Best option? Since nobody here Id bet makes and dynos cams for a living call a cam manufacturer and they will give you the perfect cam. I like comp cams but to each his own. my but dyno isnt as accurate as their real dyno.

hifi875
03-07-2013, 08:57 AM
most ls carb cams have a tight lsa mainly around 110. mine is 110+4degrees of adv. Call jeoff at EPS(engine power systems). He custom grinds cams using comp grinds. he did mine.