PDA

View Full Version : Undercoating

jh99
03-28-2006, 10:28 AM
I know that a torch and a scraper can remove undercoating. Is acid dipping the absolute best thing to get a perfectly clean car?

67velle
03-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Maybe try a paint company"s wax and grease remover. Spray it on and let it sit and wipe it with a red scotch brite while its wet. A bit messy but it would be cheap!! :yes:

Hdesign
03-31-2006, 08:55 AM
I spent about 2 full weekends using some "undercoating remover" spray-on product from Eastwood. I think I got more off due to elbow grease than anything. I finally torched and scraped it and that made the job much easier. What a PITA!!!! If I had it to do over again, I would have probably elected the acid bath.

Hdesign
03-31-2006, 07:22 PM
WOW, that stuff sounds great. I'll give it a try on my next project.

Todds69
03-31-2006, 10:12 PM
Might have to give it a try as well.

almcbri
04-01-2006, 09:17 AM
wire wheels on a grinder. works well and is a lot faster than using a scraper.

awr68
04-01-2006, 02:04 PM
I did the wire wheel, sand paper on a DA/grinder, heat and scraper, and a little sand blasting in the tight areas on the back side of the tail panel...lot's of work but at least I had my rotosserie!! Next time I will have the car chemically stripped before I start the project, costs a little up front but you can't beat the dunk tank and you get right to work on the fun stuff!

I thought I read a certain brand of oven cleaner works well, maybe a yellow can???

clill
04-01-2006, 03:26 PM
I have had great luck with a car hoist, high pressure steam cleaner and spraying anything like kerosene on it to soften it up. Oven cleaner will also work. Last car I did all I had was gasoline so I sprayed it on...Took all the undercoat off and left the factory overspray on. Looked like new.

DRJDVM's '69
04-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Big question..... where do you get this stuff ??? Is it basically internet order or do any of the local chanin hardwar stores etc carry it ??

I'm going to be tackling the underside of the Barracuda soon and was planning the wire wheel , scraper and oven cleaner route..... long tedious and messy :)

race-rodz
04-01-2006, 10:08 PM
i have also had great luck with the kerosene/deisel and a steam cleaner trick, fallowed by a garden sprayer of "superclean" and the steam cleaner again. im not into the "manual labor" involved in the other methods, and the spray it on and let it soak...hose it off works great for me.

race-rodz
04-02-2006, 01:30 AM
I wouldn't recommend using gasoline or kerosene to remove undercoating. There is too much risk of the fumes overwhelming you or potential of an explosion.

obviously this is an "outside" thing, and i would sure hope that anybody with the ability to do ANYTHING car related would have common sense enough to realize that this might not be the "safest" way to go about removing undercoating, and obviously some precautions may be needed when using flammable products.

BUT this is by far one of the easiest and faster ways of getting the nasty job done.... with great results.

jh99
04-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Does anyone know where Peel Away 7 can be purchased? I searched and could not find any suppliers other than internet orders, so it might have to be bought online. I think using this stuff would be worth a try. It might work really well.