PDA

View Full Version : Vortec engine questions-mounts, harness, computer

almcbri
03-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Ok here are my rookie questions reguarding my new engine. It is a 5.3 Vortec.

Will I have to buy an aftermarket motor mounts? If so what are my options out there?

I understand I will have to send my wiring harness and computer off to get reflashed? What companies do this and who would you recommend?
I do not have a wiring harness or computer yet, so if there are companies that sell a harness that is available for my set-up, please let me know!

I hear there are some companies that make an adapter bracket to use a TH400 with a newer LS1/ vortec style engine. I can't figure out who sells these?

Thanks,
Andrew

Musclerodz
03-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Motor mounts required. I would call Street & Performance. They should have the mounts, harness and computer. Don't know about the adapter for the tranny.

Mike

pist0lpete
03-28-2006, 11:10 AM
You should be able to get the tranny adapter from somebody like transdap or gmpartsdirect look um up on google and see what you can find. Street and Performance does have the motor mount adapters and wiring harness but they are way overpriced. You will be about 200 bucks or more ahead if you can get an LS1 harness and send it off to speartech and have him modify it for you. Also campanies like brp (http://brphotrods.com/parts.html) and ATS (look for their sponsor logo on the left side of this site) make different style brackets they may place the motor in a more ideal location for your camaro. Check out www.ls1tech.com if you haven't already look in the conversions and hybrids section. Do a search on camaro ls1 swaps and that should answer alot of your questions. Also post up any questions you may have there and you will find many answers from people who have already done this swap. Good luck I will be undertaking a similar task this summer when I put an LS1 in my chevelle.

57hemicuda
03-28-2006, 03:18 PM
The trans adapter consists of a spacer and longer bolts for the flywheel,these are GM parts,most truck engines already have them I know my 6.0 did.If not they can be purchased from GM dealer.You can use a painless harness,It will already have a vatts bypass installed so you won't have to reprogram the pcm.I think you have to use a 1998 f body pcm,IF you need one let me know I think I have a spare