PDA

View Full Version : Mig selection narrowing to HTP mig200

Roberts68
12-09-2012, 02:01 PM
I am open to comments for and against but the short story is I am leaning toward a HTP mig200 from USAWELD (http://www.usaweld.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=60200&CartID=4)
I have been watching Craigslist for months, mostly for Miller machines because I have actually never used anything else. My last 2 employers had 251/252's so in 17 years that is all I have used. While I do not weld all that often I am one of 2 that do where I work now.

At this time I do not see myself doing much beyond some structural mods to my subframe, DSE Sf Connectors and replacing my trunkpan. Eventually there could be more sheetmetal work and I am sure opinions will fly that a TIG is the answer there but I don't feel the urge for the investment or learning curve. Right now time is very short for me and I like my "point and shoot" comprehension and comfort level with MIG.

As per usual the typical projects are endless for carts, benches and the like. My space is limited with a 2 stall garage devoted to the Camaro but in the time I own a welder that is likely to change. At the least I will add a stall, and if the market turns around I would buy or build a different home with a spacious shop + garage instead of making due as I have.

There is some temptation to get an HTP MIG160 but the additional investment is not that great compared to changing machines down the road, usually at a loss. Besides that, it goes against the Tim Taylor philosophy so many of us benefited from watching TOOL TIME.:bow: oh,Ho-OH!
:cheers:

Sieg
12-09-2012, 02:35 PM
HTP or Miller are the good choices IMO. Millers educational support and parts availability is more convenient. HTP is pretty much mail order and educational materials are basically worthless compared to Miller. That said it's just a MIG and you've got experience so the HTP price is the hook. I have no complaints with my HTP 200, I just make sure I have back stock on proprietary consumables.

Regarding the TIG vs. MIG debate...............the preparation and cleanliness required for TIG vs. the speed of MIG can make the decision easier when you just want to stick two pieces of metal together. :D

Roberts68
12-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks for your comments Sieg. As I mentioned earlier over at Norwoods' thread I've found your project inspirational on more than one occasion.

In fact, it was between you and GW that I probably learned of HTP in the first place. Somehow I sort of overlooked the MIG200 you had purchased, or rather forgot about it when the INVERTIG 221 took center stage.

While I think TIG would be cool, and I am already fairly meticulous prepping for welds I just don't see myself doing enough fabrication to warrant the purchase... besides the technique there seems to be more metallurgy involved in selection of expendables, then there is the tungsten maintenance. I just don't need to take that leap and a MIG is the right choice for me.

What sort of setup table does your HTP MIG200 have? I am used to a nice chart inside the wire compartment on a Miller 252. Would you be willing to post a picture of yours at all please?

Also, how do you like the heat setting adjustment being what appears to be a 2 switch analog arrangement?

Thanks once again,
Robert

T_Raven
12-09-2012, 03:48 PM
I've always preferred Lincoln welders. I just bought a used mig 255 off cl. The best price I've found for them was $3000 shipped online, I bought it for $1750. I also bought my Lincoln tig and plasma cutter off cl for less than 1/2 of new. All of these are barely used machines in great shape. I know you said you've been looking for a few months but good deals come up if you're not in a huge hurry and are willing to drive a little to get a deal.

I've never used a HTP so I can't say anything about the quality.

I do have a question that would be relevant to choosing if you plan to do a lot of sheet metal.

To those who do more welding than I do, do these bigger migs weld sheet metal well? I know they say they can, but when I took the chassis fab course at WyoTech the instructors there would always grab a smaller 110v mig when they wanted to weld something thin. They said even though the bigger machines could be turned down, it was easier to to weld thin metal with the smaller mig. I've always had access to a smaller mig so I've never tried welding sheet metal with a 220v mig. I have a Lincoln 140c that I've been using for sheet metal and just picked up the 255 dropped off yesterday and I'm not home to try it out.

itsals1
12-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Robert
I've had a HTP 160 for 6-8 years ,I really like this welder and am very happy with HTP, no problems. I do not use MIG every day! Only as needed for repair and small projects! Good luck with your choice.

Travis

Sieg
12-12-2012, 11:42 AM
What sort of setup table does your HTP MIG200 have? I am used to a nice chart inside the wire compartment on a Miller 252. Would you be willing to post a picture of yours at all please?

Also, how do you like the heat setting adjustment being what appears to be a 2 switch analog arrangement?

Thanks once again,
Robert

http://sieg.smugmug.com/Other/Welding/i-PWmcpVL/0/XL/IMAG3324-XL.jpg
The 2-switch set-up is not as simple as my Lincoln 135+............basically it is 6 main power settings of which each can be fine tuned 4 levels. Wire feed is the critical/finicky setting with the machine. I'm running .023" wire for most applications.

Roberts68
12-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks itsals1, appreciate your endorsement

So Sieg,
Thanks for posting the picture. Is that all they gave you is a piece of paper?:(

I appreciate you going through the trouble of posting that but perhaps I was unclear. I was wondering if the machine has a nice decal or chart inside of the door where you access the wire spool such as what I have seen on the Miller machines I have used. It seems like a trivial thing but you know how it is, paper get lost, tattered or dirty and in my experience is not fond of fire or melting metal:willy:

I found it difficult to find a picture of an HTP machine depicting the wire feed compartment in whole, lots of closeups of the gear drive and the transformer/electrical side but not what I wanted to see.

GregWeld
12-13-2012, 10:31 AM
If it's not BLUE it's not worth owning..... :rofl:

Roberts68
12-13-2012, 10:38 AM
If it's not BLUE it's not worth owning..... :rofl:

Ha! Not to mention then I could rock all those cool "Power of Blue" decals that I got at Car Craft St Paul 2011 with a clear conscience!:unibrow:

I dunno GW, money speaks to me... and to be honest I don't feel like I have as many opportunities for lengthy discussions as I would like. :rolleyes:

Kidding aside, can you tell me why to avoid an HTP?

GregWeld
12-13-2012, 11:12 AM
No.... I was just poking. Nothing at all wrong with the HTP machines.

Seriously -- welders are like golf clubs... it's way more about the guy running it than it is about the machine. We don't use any of this stuff enough to actually wear them out or burn them up.

My usual advice though is to buy a "better" machine than you THINK you need because once you can really weld - there's all manner of stuff you'll want to be able to do. Not just for yourself but for friends and family etc. Too small of a machine is just so limiting... and you'll have the thing for the next 20 years. :cheers:

GregWeld
12-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Funny about the "paper" comment.... I copied and taped on the OUTSIDE of the door -- a paper chart. That way I can just quickly check - set the machine and run with it. The way the door opens on my Miller 210 half the top of the machine opens and I always have "stuff" up there.

Roberts68
12-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Funny about the "paper" comment.... I copied and taped on the OUTSIDE of the door -- a paper chart. That way I can just quickly check - set the machine and run with it. The way the door opens on my Miller 210 half the top of the machine opens and I always have "stuff" up there.

Yeah, I can understand that but slapping tape and stuff all over a nice piece of equipment seems hokey. In fact you should really request a replacement vinyl graphic from Miller and affix it to the outside..... I'm just sayin'.:lol:

I really prefer the chart that miller uses showing representative metal thickness as opposed to what HTP provides. Beyond that the 2 knob heat setup might take some getting used to compared to a more infinite fine adjustment of a digital wire speed and heat setting on the Millers I have used.

I know what you mean about the way a miller door flips up. The 252 at work is the same way and always requires some quick creative stacking or rearranging of clutter. I'm not sure how an HTP door opens.

Sieg
12-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks itsals1, appreciate your endorsement

So Sieg,
Thanks for posting the picture. Is that all they gave you is a piece of paper?:(

I appreciate you going through the trouble of posting that but perhaps I was unclear. I was wondering if the machine has a nice decal or chart inside of the door where you access the wire spool such as what I have seen on the Miller machines I have used. It seems like a trivial thing but you know how it is, paper get lost, tattered or dirty and in my experience is not fond of fire or melting metal:willy:

I found it difficult to find a picture of an HTP machine depicting the wire feed compartment in whole, lots of closeups of the gear drive and the transformer/electrical side but not what I wanted to see.
Yes it has a decal on the inside of the door which requires opening the door to read. I copied a page from the manual for reference convenience. Paper in the form of *.pdf's is harder to lose, tatter, or dirty. :D

http://sieg.smugmug.com/Other/Welding/i-gRwFx4n/0/XL/IMAG2827-XL.jpg

http://sieg.smugmug.com/Other/Welding/i-jx5Bsc2/0/X2/IMAG3330-X2.jpg

http://sieg.smugmug.com/Other/Welding/i-Bjs2vhD/0/XL/IMAG3331-XL.jpg

http://sieg.smugmug.com/Other/Welding/i-bXzk6BC/0/XL/IMAG3332-XL.jpg

Roberts68
03-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Finally ordered an HTP Mig200 today!:G-Dub:
I figured I may as well wait until spring so I was actually apt to use it during their 90 day money back/take the Welder back guarantee.

I should see it Wednesday or Thursday this week.

Thanks for your selection help guys
:thankyou:

Sieg
03-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Awesome, you'll be frying metal soon, have fun!

GregWeld
03-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Nice machine Robert! Good for you.

Let us know how it all works out!

Revved
03-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Congrats on the new tool purchase!

I've had my Lincoln HD 180 for about 5 years now and love it. And its funny you mention smaller welders for sheet metal... I was at the body shop yesterday checking in on a project and was talking welders with the owner. He has a Lincoln 140 he bought out of a pawn shop more years ago than he can remember and has welded on more panels than he cares to remember. He keeps expecting it to die but it just keeps going.

pronova
06-03-2013, 12:43 AM
i got an east wood 220 volt mig175 pack, came with aluminum spool gun cart auto helmetand it was cheap , ive used it mostly on body and sheet metal but welded all my brackets to rear end with no problems, had it two years about two weeks ago i had a problem with.not getting gas at nozzle ,called tech line after a little trouble shooting the liner was bad, they sent a packing slip with fed ex i boxxed it up it was picked up and i recieved a brand new welder from them in 4.5 days , its not a miller or lincoln but they offer a 30 day no ?s asked money back gaurantee so i gambled and am so happy , i just ordered there plasma cutter , !!! if u are looking for a good thrifty priced welder check them out they also have a 1/0 unit , just my 2 cents

SSLance
12-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Realize this is an old thread but in my research for a new MIG I came upon it. After reading pronova's post I researched the Eastwood MIG 175 and I believe I have found the welder I'm going to order.

Found this thread from over 3 years ago and was interesting reading how the opinions of the welder changed once a few of the members starting actually using the machine.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?41965-Eastwood-Mig-Welders

I realize it isn't a Miller, or HPT...but for a beginning hobbyist welder, it sure seems like a decent entry level setup that will allow one to weld on not only mild steel but aluminum and stainless (think exhaust systems) all with the same unit.

I need to research the plug a bit. Don't think it's a problem but I have a RV style lead and plug on my lift and I'd like to plug my new welder up to that same plug. Should be able to fab up an adapter or just change the plug on the lead of the welder but that might affect the warranty.

Anyway, that's how I'm spending my Christmas morning...welder shopping. :D

66fury
12-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Ive got a miller 252 and ive used others but prefer miller.mine is setup for aluminum and steel which is a plus. Eventually i will get a tig for home but i have one at work for now.miller offers some pretty good prices on migs and tigs under$2000